Tuesday 8 June 2021

The Church of Mulder



















Mulder and Scully are walking along a corridor in the police station


SCULLY: 

Mulder you're not seeing the whole picture here.


MULDER: 

Which is?


SCULLY: 

Which is that all likelihood, Ruby is dead.


MULDER: 

Is that your conclusion 

or the conclusion of the Sioux City Sheriff's Department?


SCULLY: 

They're searching the national park and a rescue dive team is coming in from Des Moines to drag the lake.


Mulder stops and turns to face Scully


MULDER: 

They're wasting their time.

SCULLY: 

Do you really think Tessa Seers is telling the truth?


MULDER: 

Why not, what if Ruby never did show up that night?


SCULLY: 

She lied to us in the library, 

she lied to us about her pregnancy, 

what makes you think she wouldn't lie to us 

about killing Ruby?


MULDER: 

Because something was out there in those woods.


SCULLY: 

We have a suspect in custody, we have a confession to one murder, 

and we have a statement which speaks to the intent to commit another. 


It's over Mulder. 


It's time to go home and turn this over to local law enforcement.


MULDER: 

I can't do that.


Mulder walks off. 

Mulder leaves the station and Scully follows him


SCULLY: 

Mulder where are you going?


MULDER: 

To talk to the boy.


SCULLY: 

Darlene won't even let you in the door.


MULDER: 

Well, I've gotta see him.


SCULLY: 

They don't wanna have anything to do with you...us. 


Scully stops and call after Mulder


Mulder, stop


Stop running after 

Your Sister. 


Mulder stops, and then turns around 

to face Scully again


This won't bring her back.


MULDER

Come with me or don't come with me 

but until they find a body, 

I'm not giving up on that girl.


Mulder walks off again 

and Scully stands where she is for a moment 

and then follows Mulder




SCENE 13 

DARLENE MORRIS' HOUSE


Mulder knocks on the front door


MULDER: 

Hello? 


Mulder notices the door is unlocked, enters the house. 

Scully is right behind him


Mrs. Morris?


SCULLY: 

Kevin? 


Mulder notices something on the floor and turns off the TV. 


On the floor are sheets of paper with binary sequences on them, they are placed in a square shape. 


Scully hears the kettle boiling and goes into the kitchen and takes it off the stove. 

She walks back into the living room and looks at the papers


Mulder. 


Mulder is sitting down staring at the papers


What does it mean?



MULDER: 

I don't know.


SCULLY: 

I'm gonna check upstairs. 


Scully goes upstairs and glances over the bannister, as she does she notices something about the papers


Oh my god.


MULDER: 

What is it?


SCULLY: 

Just come up here. 


Mulder goes up the stairs








Look, 

Mulder looks at the papers 

and sees that the binary sequences make a face

it's her, it's Ruby.




SCENE 14 

LAKE OKOBOGEE. NATIONAL PARK

(It is night time and Mulder and Scully are driving to Lake Okobogee)

SCULLY: This is a longshot Mulder, they could be anywhere.

MULDER: You know when I was a kid, I had this ritual. I closed my eyes before I walked into my room, cause I thought that one day when I opened them my sister would be there. Just lying in bed, like nothing ever happened. You know I'm still walking into that room, everyday of my life. (Mulder notices something up ahead) Scully. (Scully looks to see what it is, it's Darlene's camper van. They pull up behind it and get out of the car. They run to the van) DARLENE!

(Mulder opens the door but there is no one inside)

SCULLY: Look, there's a trail ahead.

(Mulder and Scully follow the trail, after a moment they hear Darlene's cries as if she has fallen. Mulder and Scully run into the forest and find Darlene crawling along the trail)

MULDER: Are you ok?

DARLENE MORRIS: It's here, I saw it.

MULDER: Where's Kevin?

DARLENE MORRIS: I couldn't keep up with him.

SCULLY: Go ahead.

(Mulder runs off while Scully stays with Darlene. Mulder runs into a clearing and sees Kevin in the distance, a bright orange light appears in front of Kevin)

MULDER: KEVIN!

(Mulder stands watching Kevin as he walks towards the light, and then runs after him. Kevin stops as the light grows bigger, Mulder is still running to catch him. The light grows into multiple, smaller 

lights, and we see that the lights belong to motorbikes. As Kevin realises they are bikes, he covers his eyes and Mulder picks him up and jumps to the ground with him. The bikes drive passed Mulder and Kevin on all sides. When all the bikes are passed, Mulder sits up and lifts Kevin off the ground)

You ok?

KEVIN MORRIS: She's back.

MULDER: Kevin I'm sorry but, I don't...

KEVIN MORRIS: She's here I know it.

MULDER: Kevin I don't think she is. I know how much you want it to be her, I did too.

SCULLY: MULDER!

(Hearing Scully's screams, Mulder gets up and runs with Kevin back to Scully)

MULDER: SCULLY!

(As Mulder and Kevin find Scully and Darlene, they see another girl lying on her back)

KEVIN MORRIS: RUBY!

SCULLY: She's unconcious but she's still alive.

MULDER: I'll get help.

(Mulder runs off)




SCENE 15 

SIOUX CITY HOSPITAL

Mulder and Scully are walking down a corridor, 

Scully has Ruby's chart


SCULLY: 

Nurse says she been awake for almost an hour.


MULDER: 

Any ideas what caused the coma?


SCULLY: 

Eerrr, there's no sign of head trauma, 

no narcotic traces or electrolyte abnormalities, 

but her white blood cell count was skyhigh.


MULDER: 

By any chance was there attendant reduction in the lymphocyte population or a release of gluco-cordacoids?


Mulder and Scully stops outside Ruby's room while Scully checks the chart


SCULLY: 

Errmmm, actually both

how did you know that?


MULDER: 

They're symptoms of prolonged weightlessness. 

Shuttle astronauts have reported similar imbalances.



Mulder looks through the window of the door and Scully knocks on it. Kevin opens the door. 

We see Ruby lying in bed, awake


SCULLY: 

Hi. 

Mulder and Scully enter the room

Hi Ruby.


RUBY MORRIS: 

Who are you?


SCULLY:

 Ooh, we're with the FBI, 

I'm Special Agent Dana Scully and this is Fox Mulder.


RUBY MORRIS: 

My mom said you might be coming by.


SCULLY: 

How are you feeling?


RUBY MORRIS: 

Fine I guess.


MULDER

Where were you Ruby? 

Can you tell us?


KEVIN MORRIS: 

It's ok Ruby, he knows.


RUBY MORRIS

Ah, I'm not supposed to tell. 

They told me not to say.


MULDER

Who told you? 

Ruby is afraid to say anything 

Ruby, who told you?


DARLENE MORRIS: 

Sweetheart, you don't have to say anything.


Darlene is standing in the doorway


SCULLY: 

You're right, we should wait until Ruby gets a little stronger.


DARLENE MORRIS: 

Can we speak outside for a moment. (Mulder and Scully join Darlene outside Ruby's room) I think that it's best that we put all of this, behind us. I mean, hasn't Ruby been through enough already?


MULDER: 

I know how dis-oriented she must seem right now, but in a couple of weeks, maybe even a few days, we could..


DARLENE MORRIS: 

I don't want her talking to you, or anyone.


MULDER: 

She should be encouraged to tell her story, not to keep it inside, it's important that you let her.

DARLENE MORRIS: 

Important to who

I have my daughter back, I don't want anymore trouble. 

Besides she can hardly remember anything.


MULDER: 

But she will remember one day, one way or another, 

even if it's only in dreams. 


And when she does, she's gonna wanna talk about it, 

she's gonna need to talk about it.


DARLENE MORRIS: 

Like I did? 

Listen to me, 

all of my life I have been ridiculed, 

for speaking my mind.


MULDER: 

But it was The Truth Darlene.


DARLENE MORRIS: 

The Truth has caused me nothing but heartache, 

I don't want the same thing for her.


MULDER: 

It doesn't have to be that way for Ruby.


DARLENE MORRIS: 

As far as I'm concerned, she spent the last month on the back of a Harley Davidson.


MULDER: 

Is that what you're gonna tell Kevin?


DARLENE MORRIS: 

I'm sorry.


Darlene walks back into Ruby's room, 

Kevin is standing at the door. 


Mulder goes to follow Darlene in 

but Scully puts her hand on Mulder's shoulder to stop him. 


Darlene brings Kevin inside and closes the door. 


Mulder storms up the corridor




SCENE 16 

A tape is taken out of a tape recorder and turned over and put back in and play pressed. 


Scully is alone in a room, 

voices are heard from the tape recorder


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

But your eyes are open?


Scully is going through the X-File on Mulder's sister


MULDER: 

Yeah, they're open but it's like, 

nothing's happening.


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

Try turning your head.


MULDER: 

I can't.


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

Why not?


MULDER: 

I don't know. 

I can't move, so I don't...


We see a close-up of the tape being played, on it it says: 

F. Mulder hypnotic regression tape session 

Number 2B: June 16


I just lie there in bed.


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

Can you see your sister?


MULDER: 

No, but I can hear her.


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

What is she saying?


Scully lifts up a picture and looks at it


MULDER: 

She's calling out my name, over and over again. 


We see the picture is one of Mulder 

and his sister when they were kids. 

We see it is Mulder who is now holding the picture


She's crying out for help but I can't help her. 

I can't move. 


We see that Mulder is sitting inside a church


DR. HEITZ WERBER

Are you scared?


Mulder starts crying


MULDER

I know I should be but I'm not.


DR. HEITZ WERBER: 

Do you know why?


MULDER

Because of The Voice.


DR. HEITZ WERBER

The voice?


MULDER

The Voice in My Head.


Mulder keeps down on his knees and begins to pray


DR. HEITZ WERBER

What's it telling you?


The camera zooms away from Mulder as he prays


MULDER

Not to be afraid. 

It's telling me 

no harm will come to her, 

and that 

one day she'll return.


DR. HEITZ WERBER

Do you believe the voice?


The scene fades to black


MULDER

I Want to Believe.


[THE END] 






No comments:

Post a Comment