Thursday 10 June 2021

Graham Chapman reading "Liar's Autobiography" complete book-on-tape


Here is the complete 3 hour book-on-tape recording of Graham Chapman reading his hilarious book "A Liar's Autobiography: Volume VI". The book was written by Chapman along with Douglas Adams and David Sherlock. It was published in 1980. 
I have read it 3 times (in hardback) and I can confirm that 1. it is very hard 2. it actually exists and 3. was quite funny all 3 times that I read it. The book was later recorded by Chapman himself (John Cleese was apparently not available) and released on 2 cassette tapes in 1989. Having just purchased this tape I wanted to give it a good listen to see just how funny this recording is compared to the book, and also to make sure I didn't dream it all. So for my own convenience I have converted it into a format that I can listen to more easily than hauling out my old boom-box and dusting it off and pulling out my jammed-in Grandmaster Flash tape that's been stuck there since 1982 and also because I wanted to share it with the world, or at least anyone with 3 hours to kill. Clearly you have no life and neither do I. Now I will know how funny it could be or is and whether this does indeed exist or if I am still dreaming all of this. I must get more sleep. I am thankful it was not released on 8-track or the conversion process would have been much more difficult. Last year it was turned into an animated movie which I have not seen yet but I am told it most certainly exists and I should stop bothering people with inane questions.

I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Chapman 2 times before he passed away (but I have not met him since) at 2 of his spoken word tour thingys. He was always as personable and friendly as I could ever have wanted him to be. As this book-on-tape has been out-of-print for some years now I am posting this as a tribute and not intending to step on anyone's copyright or anything. And so I hope the "powers that be" will allow this to stay up here for at least 3 hours so I can finally listen to it, and hopefully longer so that everyone else can enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment