Wednesday 23 November 2022

The First Trial


Well, it is a fact, Jamie, that 
I do tend to get involved with Things. 
 
JAMIE
Aye, you can say that again. 
Whenever there's any Trouble, he's in it right up to his neck. 
 
ZOE: 
But You've Helped People, Doctor. 

 

Yes, yes, but that's 
no excuse in their eyes. 
 





Malfeasance Tribunal -- 309906
In view of extenuating circimstances,
The Tribunal chose Banishment to Earth -- Sol-3, in Mutter's Spiral. 

 

(The War Lord and the guards vanish.) 
JAMIE:
Ah, well, that's put an end to them.
Well, we'll be on our way.
Come on, Doctor. Cheerio. 
 
(Jamie strolls over to the Tardis and straight into the forcefield which then envelopes him and Zoe.
 
JAMIE: 
Oh, switch this thing off. 
 
DOCTOR: 
Jamie, they are not going to let us go. 
 
JAMIE: 
What? After all you've done for them?
 
(The Doctor and two Time Lords leave.
 
ZOE: 
What are you going to do to him? 
 
TIME LORD 3: 
He must stand his trial. 
You will wait here. 
 
ZOE: 
Well, we want to go with The Doctor! 
Oh, let us out! 
 
JAMIE: 
Come on, let us out of this thing!
 
[Trial chamber]
 
TIME LORD: 
You have heard the charge against you, 
that you have repeatedly broken 
our most important law 
of non-interference in the affairs 
of other planets. 
 
What have you to say
Do you admit these actions? 
 
DOCTOR: 
I not only admit them, 
I am proud of them. 
 
While you have been content 
merely to observe the evil in the galaxy, 
I have been fighting against it. 
 
TIME LORD 3: 
It is not we who are on trial 
here, Doctor, it is you. 
 
DOCTOR: 
No, no, of course, you're 
above criticism, aren't you. 
 
TIME LORD: 
Do you admit that these actions were justified? 
 
DOCTOR: 
Yes, of course, I do. 
Give me a thought channel 
and I'll show you some of the evils 
I've been fighting against. 
 
(The Time Lords nod to each other.) 
 
DOCTOR: 
The Quarks, deadly robot servants 
of the cruel Dominators, 
they tried to enslave a peace loving race. 
 
Then there were the Yeti, more robot killers, 
instruments of an alien intelligence 
trying to take over the planet Earth. 
 
TIME LORD 3: 
All this is entirely irrelevant. 
 
DOCTOR: 
You asked me to justify my actions, 
I am doing so. 
 
Let me show you the Ice Warriors, 
cruel Martian invaders, they tried 
to conquer the Earth too. 
 
So did the Cybermen, 
half creature, half machine. 
 
But worst of all were The Daleks, 
a pitiless race of conquerors 
exterminating all who came up against them. 
 
All these evils I have fought 
while you have done nothing but observe. 
 
True, I am guilty of interference, 
just as you are guilty 
of failing to use your great powers 
to help those in need! 
 
TIME LORD: 
Is that all you have to say? 
 
DOCTOR: 
Well, isn't it enough? 
 
TIME LORD: 
Your defence has been heard 
and will be carefully considered, 
but you have raised difficult issues. 
 
We require time to 
think about them. 
 
You will be recalled 
when we have made 
our decision.
 
[SIDRAT bay]
 
JAMIE: 
Let us out! 
 
ZOE: 
We want to see the Doctor. 
Let us out of here! 
 
(The force field is turned off.) 
 
TIME LORD 2: 
Follow me. 
 
ZOE:
Where are we going? 
 
TIME LORD 2: 
We're going to send you home. 
Back you your own world 
and your own time. 
 
JAMIE: 
Oh no, not without The Doctor. 
 
TIME LORD 2: 
This is his world. 
He must stay here. 
 
ZOE:
Well, what's going to happen to him? 
 
TIME LORD 2:
He is awaiting the result of his trial. 
 
JAMIE:
Aye, well, I'm not going till I see him. 
 
ZOE:
Oh, please, can't we see the Doctor? 
 
TIME LORD 2:
You have become attached to him? 
 
JAMIE:
Aye, we've been through a lot, you know. 
 
ZOE:
Please let us see him. 
 
TIME LORD 2:
Come with me. 
 
JAMIE:
Aye.
 
[Trial chamber]
(The Doctor is reclining on the floor, playing clock patience.) 
DOCTOR: Jamie! Zoe! 
ZOE: Doctor! 
(They are stopped by a forcefield.) 
 
TIME LORD 2:
I've brought your friends to say goodbye. 
 
JAMIE:
Oh, switch this thing off. 
 
ZOE:
We can't say goodbye through a forcefield. 
 
TIME LORD 2:
Very well. I shall leave you together.
For a little while. 
 
DOCTOR:
Oh, thank you. 
(The forcefield disappears
and the Time Lord leaves.) 
 
DOCTOR:
Jamie! Zoe! 
 
ZOE:
Doctor! 
 
JAMIE:
What are they going to do to you? 
DOCTOR:
Oh, nothing much.
I expect they'll to make me listen to a long boring speech about being a good boy.
They like making speeches. 
 
ZOE:
Well, I think it's time you left them again. 
 
DOCTOR:
Well, that's easier said than done. 
 
JAMIE:
Oh come on, we've been in tighter situations than this. 
 
DOCTOR:
Well, you don't know the Time Lords, Jamie. I do. 
 
ZOE:
Oh, you're not just going to give up, are you, Doctor? 
 
JAMIE:
Of course he's not. Are you, Doctor, eh? 
 
DOCTOR:
Well. Oh, all right, but we may find it a bit difficult getting out of here. 
 
JAMIE: 
Hey, they've forgotten to switch 
that thing back on again. 
 
DOCTOR: 
Forgotten? 
 
ZOE: 
Well, that's all we need, isn't it? 
Now we can get away. 
 
DOCTOR:
Yes, yes, of course. 
 
JAMIE:
Come on! 
 
(The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe pick their way through an area of square pools of mist to )
 
[SIDRAT bay]
TIME LORD 3: 
There is no escape, Doctor. 
 
(Jamie runs up against a forcefield.) 
 
TIME LORD 3: 
It is time to say goodbye to your friends. 
 
ZOE: 
There must be something we can do? 
 
 
DOCTOR:
No Zoe, not this time. Well, goodbye, Jamie. 
 
JAMIE:
But Doctor surely we could -
 
DOCTOR: 
Goodbye, Jamie. 
 
JAMIE: 
I won't forget you, you know. 
 
DOCTOR: 
I won't forget you. 
Don't go blundering into 
too much trouble, will you? 
 
JAMIE: 
Oh, you're a fine one to talk. 
 
DOCTOR: 
Goodbye, Zoe. 
 
ZOE: 
Goodbye, Doctor. Will we ever meet again? 
 
DOCTOR: 
Again? Now, Zoe, you and I know,
time is relative, isn't it? 
(Jamie and Zoe are led to a SIDRAT. They wave and go inside. It dematerialises.) 
 
DOCTOR: 
They'll forget me, won't they? 
 
TIME LORD 2: 
Not entirely
They will be returned to a time
just before they went away with you. 
They will remember their first adventure 
with you, but nothing more. 
 
But come along. 
Your fate has been decided.
 
[The Wheel in Space]
(The Doctor watches on the trial chamber viewscreen as a confused Zoe walks down a corridor.) 
TANYA: Oh, Zoe. Zoe, are you all right? 
ZOE: Oh, yes. 
TANYA: Are the Doctor and Jamie gone? 
ZOE: Yes, I've just seen them off. 
TANYA: Well, we'd better get back to work, you know. There's a lot to be done if we're going to get the Wheel back to normal. Are you sure you're all right? 
ZOE: Oh, yes. I thought I'd forgotten something important, but it's nothing. 
TANYA: Right, come along then. 
ZOE: 
All right, I'm coming.
 
[Trial chamber]
 
(On the screen, Zoe looks back then the image fades.) 
 
DOCTOR: 
She'll be all right, won't she? 
 
TIME LORD: 
Of course. 
 
DOCTOR: 
What about Jamie? 
 
TIME LORD 3: 
Look.
 
[Culloden Moor]
(Pipes are skirling as a Redcoat aims his musket at Jamie's back. He turns and drops just as the soldier fires.) 
 
JAMIE: 
Try tae murder a McCrimmon, would ye?
Well, I'll show you! Creag an Tuire! 
 
(Jamie charges the Redcoat, swinging his sword while the man tries to reload. The soldier wisely gives up and flees.)
 
[Trial chamber]

TIME LORD: 
They will both continue their lives 
as if nothing had happened. 
 
DOCTOR: 
Yes, very efficient. 
Now, then -- what about me?
 
TIME LORD: 
We have accepted your plea, 
that there is Evil in The Universe 
that must be fought
and that you still have 
a part to play in that battle. 
 
DOCTOR: 
What? You mean that you're
 going to let me go free?
 
TIME LORD: 
Not entirely. 
We have noted your particular interest in the planet Earth --
The frequency of your visits must have given you 
special knowledge of that world and it's problems. 
 
DOCTOR: 
Yes, I suppose that's True --
Earth seems more vulnerable 
than others, yes. 
 
TIME LORD: 
For that reason you will be 
sent back to that planet. 

DOCTOR:
Oh — good

TIME LORD: 
....in exile. 

DOCTOR: 
In exile
 
TIME LORD: 
You will be sent to Earth in the twentieth century, 
and will remain there for as long as we deem proper
and for that period 
The Secret of the TARDIS 
will be taken from you.
 
DOCTOR: 
But you, you can't 
condemn me to exile on...
on one primitive planet, 
in one century in time! 
Besides, I'm known on the Earth. 
It might be very awkward for me. 
 
TIME LORD: 
Your appearance has changed before, 
it will change again, and 
that is part of the sentence.
 
DOCTOR: 
You can't just change what I look like 
without consulting me! 

TIME LORD: 
You will have an opportunity to choose your appearance. 

DOCTOR: 
Oh, well, that's not so bad…
But I warn you, I'm very particular.
 

TIME LORD: Here is your first choice. 
(A man with a big bushy beard, followed by other sketches.) 

DOCTOR: 
Oh he's too old! 
Well he's too fat, isn't he. 
No, he's too thin. 
That one's too young.
 Oh now, that won't do at all. 
It's ridiculous. 

TIME LORD: 
You're wasting time, Doctor. 

DOCTOR: 
It's not my fault, is it? 
Is this the best you can do? 
I've never seen such 
an incredible bunch. 

TIME LORD: 
Since you refuse to take the decision, 
the decision will be taken for you. 

DOCTOR: 
No, no, no, I never said that —
But I maintain I have the right 
to decide what I look like! 
It could be very important on the Earth. 
People on Earth attach a very great deal of importance —
(The Doctor's face is beginning to twist and change.) 

DOCTOR:
 Ah, what's happening? 
(We are treated to multiple images of Patrick gurning as they circle around.) 

DOCTOR: 
What's hap, what's happened? 

TIME LORD: 
The time has come for you to change your appearance, Doctor, and begin your exile.

DOCTOR: 
Is this some sort of joke? No, I refuse to be treated in —
 What are you doing? 

(The Doctor's face disappears.) 
DOCTOR: 
No! Stop, you're making me giddy! No, you can't do this to me! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

No comments:

Post a Comment