Thursday 23 June 2022

Fascist Nursing

It Happened Here (1964) 
Pauline Murray, Sebastian Shaw

Honour :
There you are.
Well, it's good to see you,
but you might've let me know.

Pauline Murray :
You can't imagine the trouble I've had
keeping this billet for you.
The landlady's been nearly frantic
trying to get other people in here.

Honour :
You might've phoned or something,
the number's on the card.

Pauline Murray :
Honour, have you got anything to drink?

Honour :
Are you feeling all right?

Pauline Murray :
Yes, I'm all right. But...
Something awful happened.
After you'd left. After you'd got away.
We went back to the house
and there were partisans in it.
I think all the others are dead.
I think I'm the only one that got away.
It's just all rather frightful.

Why have they still got this stuff on the window?
Surely the planes can't get through as far as this?

Honour :
Air raid precautions. 
Just in case.

Pauline Murray :
Thanks, Honor.
This is real coffee. I haven't tasted 
anything like this for ages.

Honour :
I got it on my ration card this morning.
I got a job at the food office right away.
Of course they're crying out for nurses, really.

I thought I might join this
'Immediate Action' Organisation,
you remember I did those courses at the WI.
But they really want properly trained nurses, like you.

Pauline Murray :
I'm not getting involved with any organisation.
I'm just going to do district nursing again,
the same as I did at home.
Do they have districts down here,
or is it all controlled from hospital?

Honour :
I don't really know.
But this organisation sounds the thing.

Pauline Murray :
Yes, but it's probably political.
And I'm not going to become involved
in any political organisation.

Honour, when Dick was killed, I felt I wanted
to slaughter every German I saw on sight.
But now I feel all we've got to do
is try and get back to normal.

Honour :
Well, I must go and get my identity cards.
I'll take you over to the Labour Centre.

Pauline Murray :
Sorry, Honour.
I've had it, I couldn't move.

Honour :
Well, you could go tomorrow,
I suppose, but you'll be a day late.
Don't blame me if you get into hot water.
And that's my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment