Wednesday 17 October 2018

It Was The Music






CUT TO: INT. MEETING ROOM - PRESENT

STANLEY
Okay then.

JOSH
Okay then?

STANLEY
[nods] That's that.

JOSH
I'm cured?

STANLEY
[humoring him] Yeah, Josh. You're cured. No problem.

JOSH
Stanley...

STANLEY
I'm gonna recommend a therapist you'll like.

JOSH
I like you!

STANLEY
You're to easy a case for me.

JOSH
I broke a window!

STANLEY
Yeah. Stop doing that. I want to commend you on not hurting anybody else
and not hurting
yourself too badly, but nevertheless, stop doing that. [gets up from the
chair]

JOSH
And... that'll do the trick?

STANLEY
Yup.

Kaytha gets up.

JOSH
I-I'm gettin' short-changed here.

STANLEY
Merry Christmas, Josh! We're done. [puts papers in briefcase] I'll call your
office
after the holidays and give you a number.

KAYTHA
It was nice meeting you.

JOSH
Hang on! What happens if tomorrow some pilot with my birthday decides to
kill himself?

STANLEY
No, that wasn't what started it.

JOSH
What started it?

STANLEY
You were already cooking for a few hours before the pilot.

JOSH
I was?

STANLEY
Usually with a gunshot victim it's a car backfiring, or a twig snapping,
but that's not
what it was with you.

JOSH
What was it?

STANLEY
[turns to Kaytha] Kaytha?

KAYTHA
The music.

STANLEY
The brass quintet.

JOSH
Why would the music have started it?

STANLEY
Well, I know it's gonna sound like I'm telling you that two plus two equals
a bushel of
potatoes, but at this moment, in your head, music is the same thing as...

JOSH
...as sirens.

STANLEY
[nods] Yeah. [puts on his coat]

JOSH
So that's gonna be my reaction every time I hear music?

STANLEY
No.

JOSH
Why not?

STANLEY
Because we get better. [starts to leave]

JOSH
All the same, I need some more therapy!

STANLEY
Oh, you're gonna get some!

JOSH
I mean now! [gets up]

STANLEY
Merry Christmas, Josh!

JOSH
We can order a pizza!

STANLEY
[laughs] Have a good night!

Stanley leaves with Kaytha. Josh follows him out of the room and calls.

JOSH
Stanley, I haven't told you my dreams yet!

STANLEY [OS]
Fax 'em over to me!

JOSH
Merry Christmas.

Josh leaves the room as well.

CUT TO: INT. THE WHITE HOUSE LOBBY - NIGHT
Leo is sitting in a chair reading. Josh enters and doesn't notice Leo.

LEO
How'd it go?

JOSH
[turns] Did you wait around for me?

Leo takes off his glasses.

JOSH
He thinks I may have an eating disorder.

LEO
[gets up] Josh.

JOSH
And a fear of rectangles. That's not weird, is it? [pause] I didn't cut my
hand on a
glass. I broke a window in my apartment.

LEO
This guy's walking down a street, when he falls in a hole. The walls are so
steep. He
can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up "Hey you! Can you
help me out?"
The doctor writes him a prescription, throws it down the hole and moves
on. Then a priest
comes along and the guy shouts up "Father, I'm down in this hole, can you
help me out?"
The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then
a friend
walks by. "Hey Joe, it's me, can you help me out?" And the friend jumps in
the hole! Our
guy says "Are you stupid? Now we're both down here!" and the friend says,
"Yeah, but I've
been down here before, and I know the way out."

Josh looks at him.

LEO [cont.]
As long as I got a job, you got a job, you understand? [gestures to Josh's
hand]
You wrapped that yourself, right?

JOSH
[raises eyebrows] The bandage?

LEO
Yeah.

JOSH
Yeah.

LEO
Okay. Donna's gonna take you to the emergency room.

JOSH
She knows?

LEO
She was the one who guessed.

JOSH
I don't need the emergency room.

LEO
Come on, it could be infected, you could have a thing.

JOSH
What thing?

Donna enters with Josh's coat.

LEO
How the hell do I know?

JOSH
Leo...

DONNA
Let's go.

She helps Josh on with his coat.

JOSH
See you later.

LEO
Okay.

Josh and Donna leave. Leo stands for a minute then leaves. Carolers can be
heard singing
"Carol of the Bells."


No comments:

Post a Comment