Monday 8 March 2021

Shells




The Qliphoth/Qlippoth/Qlifot or Kelipot (Hebrew: קְלִיפּוֹת‎, the different English spellings are used in the alternative Kabbalistic traditions of Hermetic Qabalah and Jewish Kabbalah respectively), literally “Peels”, “Shells” or “Husks” (from singular: קְלִפָּה‎ qlippah “Husk”), are the representation of Evil or Impure spiritual forces in Jewish mysticism, the polar opposites of the holy Sefirot.


The Realm of Evil is also termed Sitra Achra/Aḥra (Aramaic סטרא אחרא‎, The “Other Side” opposite holiness) in Kabbalah texts.




INT. FRED'S OFFICE - DAY 

Wesley is packing Fred's personal effects in a box with bubble-wrap. 

He takes a commemorative plate off the wall where it hung next to the Dixie Chicks poster. 


ILLYRIA 

(standing in the doorway) 

You grieve still... for a single life.


WESLEY 

(without turning to look at her, shuts his eyes tight and speaks through gritted teeth) 

Why are you here?


ILLYRIA 

I... I'm uncertain.  

(looks around) 

This place... was part of The Shell.


WESLEY 

(snaps) 

Don't call her—  

(breathes deeply) The woman you killed had a name.


ILLYRIA 

This is important to you. 

Things have Names. 

The Shell... Winifred Burkle... 

She can't return to you.


WESLEY 

(packing her things, tearfully) 

I know.


ILLYRIA 

Yet there are fragments. 

When her brain collapsed, electrical spasms channeled into my function system... memories.  

(holds up her fingers, making a gap between her thumb and index finger where an electrical spark forms) 

(as Fred) 

Please...Wesley, why can't I stay?


WESLEY 

(turns away, nearly sick, crying) 

No.  

(looks out the window) 

Leave.


ILLYRIA 

I've nowhere to go. 

My Kingdom is long dead.  

(softly) 

Long dead. There's so much I don't understand. 

I've become overwhelmed. 

I'm unsure of my place.


WESLEY 

(turns to her, angrily

Your place is with the rest of Your People: 

Dead and turned to ash.


ILLYRIA 

Perhaps... but I exist here

I must learn to Walk in This World.  

(slowly approaches Wes) 

I'll need your help... Wesley.


WESLEY 

(frowning, choking back tears) 

If I were to help you find your way... 

you have to learn to change. 

You mustn't kill.


ILLYRIA 

You killed the Qwa'ha Xahn in defiance of your leader.


WESLEY 

(shakes his head, then looks at her) 

He murdered the woman I love.


ILLYRIA And that made it just.


WESLEY 

No. It wasn't just.  

(sighs, puts his hands on his hips) 

I'm probably the last man in the world to teach you what's right.


ILLYRIA 

But you will. If I abide, you will help me.


WESLEY 

(softly) 

Yes.


ILLYRIA 

Because I look like her?


WESLEY 

(looks at her with tears in his eyes, whispers) 

Yes.


ILLYRIA 

(stands beside Wes, looks out the window to the lab below where her sarcophagus lies) 

We cling to What is Gone. 

Is there anything in This Life but Grief?


WESLEY 

(looks out at the lab

There's Love. There's Hope...for some. 

There's hope that you'll find something worthy... 

that your life will lead you to some joy... 

that after everything... you can still be surprised.


ILLYRIA 

Is that enough?  

(looks at Wes

Is that enough to live on?

No comments:

Post a Comment