Monday 27 August 2018

Teach Me




EXT. CEMETERY/CHURCH - (TIME CUT) - LATER DAY

The funeral is done. People head out from the cemetery.

Ichabod walks with the Van Tassels. Baltus holds Katrina's hand. Young
Masbath runs to catch up with Ichabod.

YOUNG MASBATH
Mister Constable, sir...

Ichabod stops.

ICHABOD
You are Young Masbath...

YOUNG MASBATH
I was Young Masbath, but now the
only one. Masbath at your service,
in honor bound to avenge my father.

ICHABOD
Well, one-and-only Masbath, I thank
you, but your mother will need you
more than I.

YOUNG MASBATH
My mother is in heaven, sir, and has
my father now to care for her. But
you have no one to serve you, and I
am your man, sir.

ICHABOD
And a brave man too, but I cannot be
the one to look after you. I am
sorry for your loss, young Mister
Masbath.

Ichabod moves away, watched disconsolately by Masbath.

Ichabod finds his sleeve furtively plucked by Philipse.

PHILIPSE
Constable...

ICHABOD
Mr. Philipse...?

Philipse looks around anxiously to see if they're observed.

PHILIPSE
Something you should know. Jonathan
Masbath was not the fourth victim
but the fifth!

ICHABOD
The fifth?

PHILIPSE
Aye. Five victims in four graves!

ICHABOD
But who...?

Philipse sees that Steenwyck has noticed the encounter. He breaks off
and scuttles away.

Ichabod turns his gaze toward...

The fresh grave of Jonathan Masbath, and three more graves almost as
recent: The Van Garretts are just receiving their brand new
headstones, and Widow Winship's grave is marked for the present by a
simple wooden cross with her name on it.

Ichabod sees Killian and nods to him.

ICHABOD (CONT'D)
Mr. Killian...I will need the help
you offered.



INT. STABLE - DAY

Ichabod lifts the lid of a large feed bin half full of horse feed.

Young Masbath is curled up inside like a mouse in a nest. Homeless.

ICHABOD
Find a place in the Van Tassel's
servant quarters. Wake me before
dawn. I hope you have a strong
stomach.



Ichabod walks away, disgruntled.

YOUNG MASBATH
Thank you, sir.



No comments:

Post a Comment