Friday 28 April 2017

Assimilation : The Arthurian Dream



GABRIEL: 
They're here! They're here! 

WORF: 
Who? 

GABRIEL: 
The Klingons! 

(A group of people with varying amounts of ridges, including none.

BROTA: 
Q'apla. 

WORF: 
Q'apla. 

BROTA: 
We are the Sons of Mogh. 

WORF: 
You are my descendents. 

BROTA: 
Some by blood, some by choice. 

Our hearts are Klingon. 

We live as warriors, just as you taught our ancestors long ago. 

GABRIEL: 
I'm going to be one of them someday. 
I'll ride a wild torga and go hunting, and only come to the settlement to trade furs for the things I need. 

PARELL: (a human woman) 
When you're older, you'll have the chance to prove yourself. 
If you are worthy, you can take a Klingon name and live among us. 

BROTA: 
The Sons of Mogh are gathering to celebrate your return. 
It would honour us greatly if you would feast with us tonight.

WORF: 
I look forward to it. 

BROTA: 
We'll come for you at nightfall. 

BASHIR: 
Well, it would appear I'm not the only legend around here...



(Worf is by a fire.

PARELL: 

We came to tell you. There will be no feast tonight. 

WORF: 

I understand. This is not a time for celebration. 

BROTA: 

Tomorrow we will see the sun rise again, but no one here will see it set. 

WORF: 

Join me. There is something I wish to say. 
It is a great honour to know that my legacy has thrived on your world for so long. 
I can see the Klingon heart beats strong here. 

BROTA: 

You honour us with your words. 
We have tried to live as you taught us to. 

PARELL: 

We've never plowed fields or milked chattel. 
We've lived as warriors, hunters. 

BROTA: 

Last year, I slew a yarbear three metres tall. Your mek'leth was my only weapon. The beast maimed me, and for a time it seemed I would die from my wounds. Now I wish I had. It would have been a warrior's death. 

PARELL:

 He could have taken his place among the honoured dead in Sto'Vo'Kor. 

WORF: 

Perhaps he will yet. 

BROTA: 

No. Ceasing to exist because my parents were never born? 
That is not a death worthy of Sto'Vo'Kor. 
Kill me, Worf. I have no enemies to fight, no glory to be won. 
Give me an honourable death. 

PARELL: 

Don't make us wait for the end like farm animals waiting for slaughter. 


WORF: 
I will come to you tomorrow and do what you ask.



(Sunrise on the final day.

WORF: 
By sunset this will all be gone. 

DAX: 
Taking a last look around? 
(Gabriel runs through the group. Sisko grabs him.) 

SISKO: 
Whoa. Gabriel, where are you going in such a hurry? 

GABRIEL: 
To the fields. It's time for planting. 

(They walk on to where everyone is getting the young plants ready for the ground.

MIRANDA: 
Come on, Gabriel, there isn't much time. 
Put some of this on your face. 
The sun's strong today. 

YEDRIN: 
Planting day has always been important here. 
It brings everyone together. 
Somehow it feels right to see it through.

[Field]

(Most of our people help with the planting. Pushing a motorised hand-plough, making planting holes. Compost goes in the bottom and the plant on top. Kira is scattering seed. Miranda is handing out the rooted plants.

MIRANDA: 
Here's one for you. Molly, take that from the bottom. 

MOLLY: 
Aren't you going to help? 

O'BRIEN: 
I'm busy. 

MOLLY: 
You don't look busy. 

SISKO: 
She's an O'Brien, all right. Better get to it, Chief. 

(Sisko hands over his trowel. Worf and the Sons of Mogh arrived.

BROTA: 
You said there was an Enemy for us to fight. 

WORF: 
They are attempting to plant their fields before the sun sets. 
Time is their Enemy. 
We should help them defeat it. 

BROTA: 
Bring the others. 

(And the sun sweeps on in its course. Molly brings O'Brien a plant.

O'BRIEN: 
Ah, great. You know, I have a little girl named Molly, too. 

MOLLY: 
Really? Can I meet her? 

O'BRIEN: 
We'll see. 

MOLLY:
 By summer, this plant will be taller than you. After the harvested, I'll help my mother make gelm bread with it. 

WOMAN: 
Molly? 

(Molly runs off, O'Brien goes over to Sisko and Kira.) 

SISKO: 
Is something wrong? 
O'BRIEN: 
We can't do it. 
SISKO: 
What? 

O'BRIEN: 
We can't let these people die.






No comments:

Post a Comment