Monday 27 May 2024

It Would Be Obscene


Leland Palmer sits on the unmade bed, 
his hand absent-mindedly brushing the bedspread.
Deputy Hawk is unobtrusively searching The Room. 
He opens a dresser drawer beside 
the bed and discovers 
a locked diary, embosses 
with Laura’s initials.

HAWK
Do you know where 
The Key for this is, sir? 
[YES.]

LELAND (shakes his head)
Do you have to take that? 

HAWK
We’ll return it as soon 
as possible

[ It’s NEVER going to be possible. ]


Lecter :

Good morning, Will.

So nice of you to visit again.


He carved this on a tree

near the Jacobi house.


With a Buck knife.


The same one later used on Charles Leeds.


Yes.


Lecter :

Take a walk with me.


He had a second tool, too. A bolt cutter.


He used that to clear his view.


But?


I don't think that's

what he brought it for.


It's too heavy. Too awkward.


And he had to carry it a long way.


And what do we make of that symbol?


Asian Studies at Langley


identified it as a Chinese character.


It appears on a mah-jong piece.


It marks the Red Dragon.


Red Dragon. Correct.


This boy begins to interest me.


We don't know what greater meaning

the symbol might have...


Do you like my little exercise cage, Will?


My so-called lawyer

is always nagging Dr. Chilton


for better accommodations.


I don't know which is the greater fool.


Perhaps if you could offer

some insight into...


"A Robin Red breast in a Cage

Puts all Heaven in a Rage"


Ever been a redbreast, Will?

Of course you have.


I'm allowed 30 minutes

in here, once a week.

Get to the point.


Will Graham :

I think he meant to use the bolt-cutter 

to enter the house, but he didn't.


Instead he broke in

through the patio doors.


The noise woke Jacobi, and he had to 

shoot him on the stairs.


That wasn't planned. It was sloppy.

And that's not like him.


Lecter :

We mustn't judge too harshly, Will.

It was his first time.


Have you never felt a sudden rush of panic?

[ He lunges at Will, teeth-beared, until 

he reaches the limit of his choke-chain —]


Yeah, that's The Fear we talked about…

It takes experience to master it.

Lecter :
You sensed who I was back when I was

committing what you call my "Crimes."


Will Graham :

Yes.


Lecter :

So you were hurt not by a fault in your perception

or your instinctsbut because you failed

to act on them until it was too late.


Will Graham :

You could say that.


Lecter :

But you're wiser now

Imagine what you would do, Will,

if you could go back in time.


Will Graham :

Put two in your head before you 

could palm that stiletto.


Lecter :

Very good, Will.

You know, I believe we're 

making progress.

And that's what 

Our Pilgrim is doing.


He is refining his methods.

He is evolving.


The case file mentioned videos 

of The Leeds Family.

I'd like to see those.


Will Graham :

No.


Lecter :

Why not?


Will Graham :

It would be obscene.


Lecter :

….you don't make it easy, do you?

Still, one aims to please.


I'll call you if I think of anything else.


Would you perhaps

like to leave me your home number?


- That's the end of our session, Dr.

- For now.


It was only his first time.


Already in Atlanta he did much better.


Rest assured, my dear Will,


this one will give you plenty of exercise.


My love to Molly and Josh, goodbye.


Go to the back of the cell, Dr. Lecter.


No comments:

Post a Comment