Wednesday 28 March 2018

He Waits



TACTICS: 
Commander, you're not eating very much. 

RIKER: 
I'm not that hungry. 

KLAG: Is the food all right, Commander? 

RIKER: It's delicious. The pipius claw was excellent. I also enjoyed this Bregit lungs. 

VEKMA: And the Rokeg blood pie? 

RIKER: Delicious. 

KLAG: Good. Then you'll also enjoy this. 

RIKER: Isn't that gagh? 

KLAG: 
Very good. You did some research on our nutritional choices. 

RIKER: 
Yes, but, it's still moving. 

KLAG: Gagh is always best when served live. Would you like something easier? 

RIKER: 
Easier? 

KLAG: 
Yes. If Klingon food is too strong for you, perhaps we could get one of the females to breast feed you. 
(laughter all round the tables) 

RIKER: 
You're not worried about my weakening, are you? 

KLAG: 
Look around you. There are no old warriors. 

RIKER: 
No, sir, I'm sure they all died with honour. 

KLAG: Exactly. You may live long enough to learn about us. 

VEKMA: 
He is not very attractive, but I will have him. 

TACTICS: 
They are inquisitive. They would like to know how you would endure. 

RIKER: 
Endure what? 

KLAG: 
Them. 

RIKER: 
One or both? 

(he grins, they all laugh, and the bonding has started) 

VEKMA: 
I may be back for you. 
RIKER: Is she serious? 
KLAG: Yes. 
(Other Klingons leave) 
KLAG: Commander, would you say you're a typical Federation officer? 
RIKER: I suppose so. Why? 
KLAG: Well, it's just you're not what I expected. 
RIKER: In what way? 
TACTICS: You have a sense of humour. 
RIKER: 
I was thinking the same thing about you. 
In all my dealings with Klingons, including our Lieutenant Worf, the thought never occurred to me of Klingons laughing. 

TACTICS: 
There is much about us you do not know. 

RIKER: 
That's why I'm here. 

KLAG: You should ask. 

RIKER: 
I may. After this tour, I may have some worthy questions. 

KLAG: 
Questions about what? About our future? 
Our future is honour. 
Our present is serving this ship. 

TACTICS: 
Like you, I have a mother and a father. 

They look like me, I look like them. 

RIKER: 
Are they still alive? 

TACTICS: 
My mother lives, My father was killed in battle at Tranome Sar. 

RIKER: 
And your father? 

KLAG: 
My father? My father was captured in battle by Romulans and not allowed to die. He eventually escaped. 

RIKER: 
Where is he now? 

KLAG: 
He is on our planet. 
He waits. 

TACTICS: 
He waits for his death. 

KLAG: He will eventually fade of a natural illness and die, weakened and useless. Honourless. I will not see him. 

RIKER: He's your father. 
KLAG: A Klingon is his work, not his family. That is the way of things. 

RIKER: He's your father. 

KLAG: Klingons do not express feeling the way you do. 

RIKER: Perhaps you should. 

KLAG: We would not know how. 

RIKER: Yesterday, I did not know how to eat gagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment