Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Why Female Social Dynamics Genuinely Terrify Me as an Autistic Woman

Why Female Social Dynamics Genuinely Terrify Me as an Autistic Woman


Let's talk about why 
Female Social Dynamics 
genuinely terrifies me as 
an Autistic Woman.

Before I get into today's video, 
I just want to make a very quick 
but sincere disclaimer because 
I am genuinely so scared 
of how people are going to react
Specifically women
Like women, scare me.

You guys have no idea how 
much women scare me. 
And I think that's just a testament to 
how traumatising socialising could 
feel as an Autistic Woman. 

The patterns of behavior and
socialisation that I'm going to be deconstructing in today's video is not
going to apply to every woman out there. And obviously it's going to get more complex and intricate as we start to
talk about different cultures, as we start to talk about different gender identities, gender presentations, all
that kind of stuff. And obviously, because I'm generalizing in a sense, I'm
not going to be able to get into all those little intricacies. But just know that just because I'm not getting into
those intricacies doesn't mean that I'm ignorant to those intricacies existing.
You know, even though I'm talking about these are behaviors that women tend to exhibit and this is how it tends to
affect autistic women, it doesn't mean that men can't exhibit these behaviors. It doesn't mean that these behaviors
can't affect men. And it doesn't mean that if you don't perfectly fit within
the confines of what I'm describing, it doesn't apply to you and it can't apply to you. Obviously, every situation is
going to be a little bit different. But like I said in my last video, I'm taking
a concept and I'm trying to deconstruct it and I'm trying to present that
concept to you guys. The only way I could do this is by generalizing to a
certain extent because if I don't do that, this video would be hours long if I were to divulge every little detail
within this system into its subcategories of how it could branch off in all these different ways. Like it's
just not possible. I unless I'm writing a book with multiple chapters, unless I'm making a documentary, like I can't
get into every little nitty-gritty detail. So, I understand I'm going to be generalizing. I understand that not all
women are going to be like this. Although I'm going to be speaking on the
harms of those behaviors. I understand that those behaviors are born from oppressive systems existing. And I also
understand that those same behaviors of survival are oftentimes very very harmful for certain types of people,
oftentimes marginalized people. I understand the nuance of all that. Okay. I don't want people to think that just
because I'm clearly naming harmful behaviors that a lot of women and groups
of women can exhibit, it means that I'm not understanding of why those behaviors exist in the first place. It doesn't
mean I'm demonizing these women who are like this. I'm just trying to map out a
system and how it affects every person involved within the system. This is the
journey of deconstruction. This is the journey of understanding how our oppressive systems actually impact us as
humans. Our behaviors, our copes, and how these aren't just ambiguous
behaviors that we adopt. They have very clear reasons and causations. And so therefore, they have very real effects
on people who don't know how to properly exist within those systems. And so, I hope this disclaimer covered everything
about what I wanted to say before I get into today's video. So, as you can see, I'm very anxious, right? Anytime I make
a video deconstructing behaviors of women and how we're socialized, I always
get really, really intensely negative responses. The only video I've ever made where I had to turn comments off was
when I was trying to talk about fashion and its correlation to neurode
divergence versus neurotypicals. And when women on the internet got a hold of
that, they were just so mean. I I just have fears that the same thing is going to happen with this video. I hope it
doesn't because I think this conversation is so important to have and I really want to believe that people are
going to listen to this video and listen to what I have to say with good faith and not be immediately defensive and
want to start fights and whatnot. I hope that people are going to have really really necessary and nuanced
conversations with this topic because it's going to have to do with the
deconstruction of gender roles, patriarchy, all that kind of stuff and
honestly abbleism as a subcategory of all this. I don't know. I don't know how
it's going to go. I hope this disclaimer does help somewhat in allowing people to
better understand where I'm coming from so that they won't misunderstand me. But then again, usually people who are
already committed to misunderstanding me don't really care to actually listen to these disclaimers, which is the irony of
all this. But I at least wanted to do my due diligence in putting this disclaimer out there and explaining where I'm
coming from. But yes, with that being said, let's just dive into this video.
 Video Starts Here.35:34
Let's have this important discussion and let's deconstruct together. Just texted
my friend if they wanted to go to lunch and they said, "Sure." [sighs and gasps]
Oh, I didn't know that you wanted to severize with me. Oh, I didn't know that I was a hideous beast and you hated me.
I didn't know that. It's okay. I'll just block your number. You've probably
already blocked mine. You probably [ __ ] hate me. You probably have a voodoo at all and you just keep [ __ ] poking it.
[sighs] Oh, have you watched any good shows recently? Yeah, actually I just finished up Severance. The finale was insane.
Oh, yeah. I heard that one was good. What toppings did you get? Um,
I got M&M's. Oh, just M&M's. Yeah, mini M&M's. Cool. Did you want to know what toppings
I got? As an autistic woman, engaging in group dynamics with other women has honestly
been one of the most terrifying social experiences of my life. Because so much
of female socialization relies on covert communication. There's this entire
invisible relational network operating underneath the surface at all times.
Everyone is subtly tracking each other emotionally, socially, relationally.
People are keeping track of who affirmed who, who reciprocated, who mirrored who correctly, who is aligned, who is safe,
who is a threat, who belongs, and who doesn't. And as an autistic woman, I
often feel like everyone else got the manual except me. Now, one of the
biggest behaviors that women within group dynamics exhibit that genuinely
scares me is the giving to get dynamic. This is basically when women perform
care. And it's not necessarily because they want to, although it can come from genuine care, but the primary reason for
them performing care is to actually get their own needs met by you. Usually this
behavior is born from women not being able to directly communicate when they
have a need. And so the only way to get a need met is to first do it for another
person because now that person is obligated to do the same thing back for
you in the name of reciprocity. So how many siblings did you say you had? Uh I have two. I have two brothers.
Oh my gosh, that must have been so fun growing up with two brothers.
And so this becomes an issue when women end up overextending themselves and
offering love and care to other people when they genuinely don't want to and aren't capable of it. How often do we
hear women guilting other people? Whether it's their own children, family, friends, partners. I do this for you. I
sacrifice this for you. Why can't you just do this back for me? I do so much for you guys and I never get what I need
back. you guys don't even care. We hear this all the time and it's because women are fundamentally socialized to not ask
other people to meet a certain need we have. Right? We're not taught that our
needs are valid to begin with, let alone being able to ask for it confidently and
assertively is also not going to be taken well by others. And so this is why
a lot of women end up self-sacrificing and overgiving, not out of genuine love
and care, but out of simply needing to get their own needs met. And this is also why a lot of women also harbor a
deep sense of resentment when people in their lives are not reciprocating love
and care back to them. What toppings did you get? Um, I got M&M's.
Oh, just M&M's. Yeah, mini M&M's. Cool. Did you want to know what toppings I got?
And this becomes an issue for people like me who take things literally as a
default. There's been so many times throughout my life where a woman will compliment me, for example. I will just
say thank you, right? And I won't necessarily return the compliment back because to me, it's just like I see it
as you noticing something and wanting to compliment me. and I'm going to receive
that compliment, that gesture, and let it actually sink in and appreciate it. And so, in moments where I'm not
returning a compliment back, it will pretty immediately be interpreted as me
actively rejecting this person and their needs. And it makes a lot of sense,
right? Because if someone's complimenting you because they genuinely want to, they're not going to interpret you saying thank you as rejection,
right? But if someone is complimenting you specifically for you to compliment them back and you don't compliment them
back, of course they're going to interpret your lack of complimenting them back as you actively rejecting them
and not liking them. Does that make sense? And obviously as an autistic person, I'm not going to know why you're
doing something to me. I'm not going to interpret the underlying meaning behind it. And this is why I think over time
I've grown to be very weary and almost skeptical and cynical of the love, care,
and connection that women offer me because I never really know how genuine it is or whether or not this woman is
only saying or doing certain things because it's expected, it's normal, or
they need something from me. But also, they're going to hold it against me when I'm not going to immediately jump into
doing the same things back for them. Right? It's like, am I a dog? Just cuz you throw a treat at me doesn't mean
that I now owe you something, right? If you want something, ask me. And I can
figure out whether or not I'm willing to do it for you. It it should be that simple. But I understand that women
aren't socialized to be able to ask for things. So, in a sense, I understand where this harmful behavior comes from.
But at the same time, it has really profound harmful effects on a lot of
people relationally speaking because it doesn't foster autonomy within
relationship dynamics. All of a sudden, if you're not immediately ready to reciprocate something back to someone,
it means that you don't care. It means that you're selfish and all of these things. When in reality, you have to
call it spade for spade. You're using your love and care as a tool to get your
needs met from another person by forcing that love and care onto them and now
making them obligated to do the same thing back for you. It's just not okay. That that's very transactional. That's
very imshed. It's just not healthy, you know. And what makes all of this even
more difficult to deal with is women's propensity to avoid conflict. So this is
what's so interesting about our society is that I feel like women are more widely socialized to create intimate
relationship dynamics compared to men. Again, I know I'm generalizing here. Men can relate to the women, women can
relate to the men, everything in between. You can relate to both. What whatever it is, okay? But stereotypically speaking, women are
socialized to have more intimate relationships. And so we're connecting with each other more intimately. But at
the same time, that is the very reason why a lot of women don't feel comfortable being more confrontational
and direct with each other. Because we see confrontation as an act of betrayal,
right? As an overt signal of I don't support you and I don't love you and I
don't agree with you. This creates a very unhealthy dynamic because on one hand you have all of these very covert,
invisible expectations that people are constantly holding you accountable to
and holding themselves accountable to. And they're oftentimes scorekeeping with
everyone involved. But at the same time, you could go through multiple situations
of offending someone, hurting someone, and yet they never bring it up with you.
They never talk about it. They never confront you because they don't want to seem like they're too much. They don't
want to seem like they're bringing up issue causing problems. They don't want to come off as too sensitive. They don't
want to confront you and make you feel bad because that would make you feel like they don't care about you. And so
women will oftent times keep things to themselves even though underneath the
surface there's bubbling resentment of unmet needs and frustration that they
would actually want to talk about and resolve but they don't. Because of this you don't know that there is an issue
until it's too late. Right? And when I say too late what that usually looks like is women will just ghost you out of
nowhere. Right? Whether you're dating a woman, whether you're friends with a woman, whether you're family with a
woman, they will just disappear out of nowhere and you don't even know what happened. And then oftentimes when you
do talk to them about it, the conversations at that point not even helpful. It's not about conflict
resolution. It's just about accusing you and it's about letting out the
resentment because at that point they already identify you as a bad person because that's what it takes for them to
walk away from you or to finally communicate their issues with you. And there's just something deeply wrong
about that where women feel like the only way to justify their frustration,
their resentment, is to definitively label someone as a bad person in order
to finally say, "How could you have done this? How could you have missed this? How could you have made this mistake again and again?" Those days where I
talked to you less, how could you have not seen that there was an issue there and the issue was this and you should
have done this in order to resolve the issue. I shouldn't have brought it up to you. You should have saw the signs and
the signals. You should have known. How has he not noticed that I'm mad at him? We haven't talked in 20 minutes. I
hear it all the time, whether it's relationship, friendship, or whatever. This overarching theme of they should
have known. You should have known. And I vehemently vehemently as an autistic
woman, as an autistic human detest that concept of you should have known. And of
course to a certain extent right if you have already had an indepth conversation
with a person about certain expectations and needs then yes it would make sense
that you're frustrated that someone continuously doesn't do something that
you've discussed or pick up on signs that you already explained to them. Right? That's a different story. What
I'm talking about is a person who never ever confronts another person about
issues and expectations. There's never a discussion about it and yet they are
convinced that everyone should have known that other people should have known despite no conversation being had.
That is the behavior I am vehemently detesting as an autistic person because
I genuinely do not think you should expect another person to know when
you're hurt, to know when you have a certain need, a certain expectation, unless you have already talked to them
about it directly and given them a chance to show you whether or not
they're able to implement that knowledge into the relationship. And a lot of female dynamics are born from them
genuinely thinking it's a reasonable expectation that other people should
know what they should and shouldn't do, say and shouldn't say without an overt
explicit conversation about it. Because women are taught to be agreeable, to not
complain, to not directly express their needs, to avoid overt confrontation.
Instead of directly telling you there's an issue, many women will continue smiling at you. They'll continue acting
friendly toward you, all while resentment is actually quietly building underneath the surface. And so when the
day finally comes where they suddenly ghost you, they cut you off, they turn cold, you're left sitting there trying
to reverse engineer what happened. Was it my tone? Was it my body language? Was it something I forgot to say? Was it
something I said too bluntly? Did I not text back fast enough? Did I fail to emotionally mirror them correctly? Did I
unknowingly violate some sort of invisible social contract? And because
nobody explicitly tells you what happened, you end up trapped in this
cycle of hypervigilance and selfanalysis. This is why so many autistic people when
dealing with these sorts of relational dynamics, we end up just ruminating on
what could have went wrong, what did we do wrong, and we end up just picking ourselves apart for probably hundreds of
reasons that don't even matter. But it's because we don't know what happened that
we have to just keep looking for what went wrong. Think about it. You know, if
there's any neurotypical non-aututistic person watching this, when you're non-aututistic, you could generally
understand, okay, I see why this person's frustrated with me, or I could see why this falling out happened. I did
this, or I failed to do this. But as an autistic person, you could genuinely be so so so lost as to what you could have
said or did wrong, how you could have failed. And so from our point of view,
you could be doing the most trying to maintain a relationship and then out of nowhere someone disappears or out of
nowhere someone doesn't like you anymore. And then you're immediately faced with a consequence without even
knowing that the consequence was coming. And so there's nothing you could have done to prevent it. And then there's
nothing you could do to make up for it. And there's nothing you could do to learn from it moving forward. And so you're constantly scared that a
consequence is going to happen and you're going to fail somehow because you inherently are wrong and you inherently
are a failure. It doesn't make you feel good about yourself. It just doesn't. So another thing about female dynamics that
genuinely scares me is how much we're socialized to imsh with each other. Now
for those of you who may not know what imshment means, it is basically a relationship pattern where emotional
boundaries are so blurred that individuals lose their sense of self. This is very very very prominent within
female dynamics. Ishment is so so so deeply ingrained in how women tend to
bond with other people. I am you. You are me. There's nothing I say or do that
you wouldn't say or do. and therefore you shouldn't say or do things that I wouldn't, right? That there's this
constant need to like be as similar to each other and assimilated to each other as possible. I remember a lot of my
female friends would change what they were wearing or looking like depending on what I was choosing to wear and look
like. Little things like if I was going out with a friend, she would call me ahead of time and ask me, "What are you
wearing? What is your makeup going to look like? What are you going to do with your hair?" And little things like that made me feel really suffocated because
it's like I don't want you to change yourself to match me, right? And that
was deeply ingrained in a lot of my female friendships throughout my life is just this need to be exactly like each
other. And you don't have space to be your own person or be autonomous without it directly triggering your female
friend. For example, if I tell my female friend, I want to put some time and
effort into learning American Sign Language, right? Instead of her taking curiosity over this interest of mine,
immediately she starts picking herself apart. Oh my god, I feel like I'm so lazy. I feel like during my free time,
all I do is rest and eat and sleep, and I feel like I should probably start learning something new, too. I'm so
useless. Either that or she'll start being defensive, right? Oh, I just feel like I work all the time and I don't
even have free time and whatever free time I have, I feel like all I could do is just rest and nap and do chores. I
don't have as much free time as you to learn a language. It's like this weird thing where instead of seeing you as
your own person, she sees you as a measuring tool for herself. And so now
you're given the responsibility of needing to reassure her of her
existence. Oh, you're doing fine. You don't have to learn ASL if you don't want to. You could nap on your free time
if you want to. Or you have to do emotional labor for her when she's
defensive and telling you that she doesn't have free time to learn something new. And you have to be like,
"Okay, yeah, you don't have to learn something new if you don't want to." Or you have to downplay yourself to make
herself feel better. That's even worse where you have to be like, uh, yeah, I do have all this free time and I may as
well do something useful with it cuz otherwise I would have nothing to do with myself. I'm not as busy as you.
You're doing a lot more important stuff than I am. Like, we see it all the time. And if you don't do any of that
emotional labor for her, if you don't reassure her, she will just hate you even more. And all of that, all of that
is born from you just simply existing and being yourself. And that sense of
self is just fundamentally different than who she is. That's how deeply
imshment runs within female dynamics. where your own autonomous existence,
your own unique human traits are seen as a direct threat to another person's
existence or an affirmation to their existence or a signal for them to orient
themselves towards in order to justify their existence. I also think that women
are often socialized to weaponize social and relational systems because
historically those systems were one of the few forms of power women had access to. So social alliances, reputation,
inclusion, exclusion, emotional perception, and group consensus becomes
incredibly powerful tools. And unfortunately, marginalized women often become the
easiest targets within those systems, especially autistic women, because
autistic women often don't perform the expected social rituals correctly. We
may not flatter correctly. We may not emotionally mirror correctly. We may not socially rank correctly. We may not
participate in gossip correctly. We may not understand alliance building correctly. And if you don't understand
the rules of the system, you become incredibly vulnerable inside it. And I
also think that the consequences of this gets amplified when you are a woman
yourself and you are conventionally attractive because when other women see
that you are also a woman, they expect you to know about those social contracts
and be operating within those social contracts. And so they're going to be harder on you when you miss certain
signals. They don't think, oh, this person might have just missed a signal. They will often times judge, oh, Irene
purposefully didn't reciprocate me or mirror me because she doesn't want to because she isn't an ally. You know,
things like that. Whereas, let's say a woman judging a man, she might be more forgiving like, uh, men just don't know,
whatever. You know, again, I'm generalizing, but women tend to be a lot harder on other women than they are of
men when it comes to these sort of invisible social contracts and rules. And I think conventionally attractive
women end up being targeted more because people often times assumes that
attractive women are socially aware, strategic, intentional, and socially
skilled. So, if you're autistic, attractive, and quiet, the trifecta,
people will often project motives onto you that aren't even real. Your silence
gets interpreted as arrogance. Your awkwardness gets interpreted as manipulation. Your independence gets
interpreted as superiority. And your social withdrawal gets interpreted as
judgment. I don't know about you guys and I don't want to admit that I am
conventionally attractive because I don't think about attractiveness in that way. But I am at least aware enough to
know that a lot of people would look at me and find me conventionally attractive. And as a conventionally
attractive autistic woman, I can guarantee you that I have been
misinterpreted to be all of those things continuously throughout my life. People
see me as arrogant when I'm just quiet. People see me as being manipulative when
I'm just awkward. People see me as someone who thinks she's superior to everyone when I am just independent.
People see me as being judgmental when I am just more introverted and keep to
myself. People end up assuming that there must be some sort of hidden intention behind your behavior because
they cannot comprehend that someone who looks socially valuable could genuinely
struggle socially. And yes, I understand saying this out loud sounds very anim
animalistic and primal and a lot of people would think it's not that serious. And in many ways, I want to say, yeah, it's not that serious. But I
have been on the receiving end of these dynamics way too often to just brush it
off as a comical movie of mean girls being mean girls. But the way that women
play these weird social games is actually very, very intricate. And it is that serious and scary. This is how a
lot of targeted people end up losing jobs, losing community, losing support system, losing access to things because
the social wave can be turned against them and things like that. And honestly, I think a lot of autistic women become
deeply traumatized by female group dynamics because we spend years
accidentally violating invisible rules we did not even know existed. You start
realizing that warmth isn't always safe. Care isn't always unconditional.
Niceness doesn't always mean honesty, and belonging can disappear overnight.
Eventually, you become hyper aware of how [snorts] quickly groups can collectively turn on someone once
they've unconsciously been categorized as the outsider. And so at this point in
my life when I am meeting people and building relationships with them, there's a few things that I have to look
out for. Especially because I'm a woman, I'm autistic, and I am conventionally
attractive. I have to be very weary of the types of people I'm surrounding myself with. Because if I am not weary
of that, I will end up fostering relationship dynamics with people that are going to be very very very draining
because they have expectations of me and because I won't have space to be myself
without triggering other people. And so the things that I look out for is how much of myself can I be without it
triggering other people, right? Can they just let me be myself without having to feel insecure with themselves or without
becoming defensive or needing to bring me down or needing me to bring myself down in order to make them feel better
or needing me to consistently make them feel good about themselves just because
they feel bad that I am myself, right? I I don't want to sign up for that sort of
exchange. It is exhausting. I end up becoming a source of regulation for a
person and I didn't even sign up for it, right? Let alone I'm not capable of it.
Like I have a lot of things I have to do for myself to exist within systems that already inherently don't support me. And
so I need every bit of energy I have to simply exist. I cannot expend extra
energy just to keep other people afloat. And that is different than a friend who needs support and reassurance every now
and then. There is a difference, right? I have friends, I have loved ones where they'll come to me and and ask for
encouragement, ask for warmth and affection and for me to remind them of
their good qualities and I am more than happy to do so. But just existing in of
itself shouldn't be something that I am continuously justifying on their behalf. You know
what I'm saying? Another thing that I look out for is I need the people in my
life to do things because they want to. They do things for me because they want
to. They love me because they want to. They support me because they want to. I
just cannot healthfully engage in any sort of relational dynamics with someone
who I always have to fear. Are they doing this because they're expecting me to give them something specific back and
they're going to hold it against me if I don't? I cannot do that because if that's what it's going to be, then I will reject what they're doing for me
all the time. And then what's the point of a relationship with someone if you're constantly needing to tell someone, "Don't do that for me. Don't say that."
I need to know that if you're doing something for me or saying something, you're doing it out of your own genuine
expression and desires. We are in charge of ourselves, right? We collaborate on
an equal relationship, an equal give and take, and we coexist, and we can even
co-regulate, but that's something we are equally asking for and building
together. And another thing that I look for is just someone who's able to be
honest even when honesty isn't easy, even if it risks hurting my feelings. I
need someone to be willing to be confrontational and honest enough to tell me when something is bothering
them, telling me when they have a certain need that's not getting met, telling me when they're frustrated, disappointed, telling me what's going
on, right? and actually opening up a conversation about it because I cannot
sit here and ruminate on what's going on with a person. How to look out for
certain signals that might mean something and how to interpret that, right? Oh, this person looked really
happy and smiley and loving, but are they actually or are they actually secretly upset with me? And if they are
secretly upset with me, what did I do wrong? And how do I make up for it? I cannot do that, dude. Like really I
cannot do that. When I love someone and I care, I will do so much for them. But
I cannot do anything unless it is brought to me first. It is so important to me that love is shown between me and
another person through having explicit and vulnerable conversations with each other. Even if that means someone is
telling me I hurt their feelings, even if that means they're telling me I failed them, I need them to tell me that. I need them to explain how it
impacted them, explain what they expect from it so that we could have a conversation, so that I could better
understand and so that we could collaborate on what to do about it. Right? If they don't open up the doorway
into understanding what's going on within them, then I will never know that
there's something happening beneath the surface within them. I will never be given the opportunity to do something
about it. You know what I'm saying? And when I care about someone, I want that opportunity to learn about them and do
something to support them. Anyways, y'all, that is going to be it for today's video. I am going to be really
interested to see what you guys think. Um, be nice, be respectful. Everyone's
experience is valid, right? So, there's no need to be defensive here. We're all sharing. We're all learning. We're all
understanding. Please give this video a like. It really does help my channel out so so much. If you don't really know
what to say in the comments, feel free to leave an emoji. Engaging with my videos altogether is just helpful for
me. You may not think it impacts me a lot, but it does. It helps put my video out there into the algorithm for more
people to discover me. It allows me to make a living off of the videos that I make. And if you guys like the way that
I process things and the way that I explore and deconstruct the neurode divergent autistic experience and you
want more, you could go ahead and become a YouTube member or join the Patreon in
order to gain access to member exclusive videos where I use media to reflect on
the autistic experience. You could also access the Discord if you become a patron and we do Discord calls once a
month where we meet and talk to each other or we watch something together. Make sure you guys take some time today
to drink some water, eat some food, take yourself on a lovely walk. Stim, stay
regulated and I will see you guys on the next one. Take care.
[music]

No comments:

Post a Comment