Wednesday 23 October 2019

The Compelling Moment in The Captivity of Prisoner Number 6


Supervisor (26) :
What Do You Desire?


6 :
.... Number 1.

Supervisor (26) :
I’ll Take You.


(leads him to The DeElevator Car, followed by The Comet and all three step inside )





“I am not The God of Your Fathers, 
I am The Hidden Stone that breaks all hearts. 

We have to break your heart to let the light out.” 

These words sounded through my head, but they were bigger and more complete than any thoughts I was familiar with; more like a broadcast. 

The loving voice and its powerful words seemed not to be mine and offered me a stark choice there in the living room: 

I could die now of this disease 
or 
Stay and “serve the light.” 


I might as well have been recruited into the Green Lantern Corps, in what was for me a very genuine “cosmic” moment. I did as most of us would and elected to live. Like Captain Marvel, I wanted to go back to Earth armed with Eon’s knowledge. I felt I’d lived my own Arkham Asylum dark night of the soul, and without the understanding that I was on a well-trod and signposted “magical” path, I’m not sure if I could have handled my illness or recovery process quite as well.
I’d reached that point in the story where I’d survived the crisis and still had a chance to be reborn with a new costume and better powers, but it was touch and go; every passing second was the ticking clock to the ultimate life-and-death cliff-hanger.

How the fuck would I get out of this one?”

Excerpt From
Supergods
Grant Morrison




No comments:

Post a Comment