Thursday 5 November 2020

But You Did.





“I should never have surrendered," 
Geronimo, still a prisoner of war, said on his deathbed. 
"I should have fought until I was the last man alive."



Six Indians visited Roosevelt in the White House and Geronimo took the opportunity to beg for a pardon. 

“Great Father, I look to you as I look to God,” he said, speaking through a translator. “When I see your face, I think I see the face of the Great Spirit. I came here to pray to you to be good to me and to my people.”

It was an amazingly obsequious opening. Was the wily old warrior truly feeling humble or was he just putting on a show to hustle Roosevelt?

“When I was young, many years ago, I was a fool,” 

Geronimo continued. 

“Did I fear the Great White Chief? No. 

His people desired the country of my people. 
My heart was strong against him….

When the soldiers of the Great White Chief drove my people from our home, we went to the mountains. 

When they followed, we slew all we could….
We starved but we killed. 

I said that we would never yield, for I was a fool. 
So I was punished and all my people were punished with me.”

Now, he told Roosevelt, his people lived in an unhealthy place where they sickened and died. He begged for permission to return to Arizona. 

“Great Father, my hands are tied as with a rope,” he said. 

“My heart is no longer bad. 
I will tell my people to obey no chief but the Great White Chief. 

I pray you to cut the ropes and make me free. 

Let me die in my own country, an old man who has been punished enough and is free.”

“Geronimo, I don’t see how I can grant your prayer,” the president responded. 

“You speak truly when you say you have been foolish. 

I am glad that you have ceased to commit follies. 

I am glad that you are trying to live at peace and in friendship with the white people.”

Roosevelt reminded his guest that not all Americans were so forgiving. 

“You must remember that there are white people in your old home. 
It is probable that some of these have bad hearts toward you. 

If you went back there, some of these men might kill you, or make trouble for your people….

There would be more war and more bloodshed. 
My country has had enough of these troubles.”

Fort Sill is not a prison, Roosevelt said. The Apaches were free to grow crops and sell them at a profit. 

“I feel, Geronimo, that it is best for you to stay where you are,” he concluded. “I do not think that I can hold out any hope for you. 

That is all I can say, Geronimo, except that I am sorry and I have no feeling against you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment