Saturday 22 February 2020

FALSE HOPE







Cut to the cafeteria. Buffy has a plate of various flavors of Jell-O, and looks for a place to sit. Scott waves to her. 

Scott: Buffy. Over here. She comes over to him sitting with Debbie and Pete, and sets down her plate. Buffy: Hey. Scott sees what's on her plate. Scott: Hey. Uh... I can't, I can't back you on that lunch. Nutritional demerits. Buffy: Oh. My stomach doesn't want hard food today. (points at the green Jell-O) But there's fruit in it. Scott: (whispers) Those are marshmallows. Buffy: (looks at it) Oh. Debbie and Pete give her curious looks. Buffy sighs. Buffy: I'm... I'm really out of it today. I didn't sleep well last night. Debbie: Just don't tell Mr. Platt you have insomnia. He'll make you start a dream journal. Pete: Oh, what's that, like, a Barbie thing? Dear Dream Journal, how come Ken hasn't come around since he got that earring? Debbie: (giggles) I never did it. He's a quack. Buffy: I kinda liked him. Debbie: Really? I guess, I guess he's kinda funny and stuff. It's just... sometimes I just don't like the things he says. 

Buffy: 
Oh, he definitely... marches to the beat of his own drummer. A- actually, I think he makes his own drums. 

Scott: 
Well, my mom says that therapy can be completely helpful.

Pete: 
Yeah, but your mom has the wattage of a Zippo lighter, Scott. 

Debbie can't resist a giggle. 

Scott: (to Buffy) 
I hope you realize I don't actually know these people. I just... I thought you would like me better if I had friends, so I hired them. 


Buffy gives him a weak smile. He turns to face her completely. 

Scott: 
So... I, uh, I wanted to tell you that you look great today. 
But now I wanna raise that to amazing because you didn't sleep well. 

Buffy: 
Uh... (smiles) 
That's really sweet. Um... And I-I wish I didn't have to, (stands up) but I just remembered that I do, so, uh, I'll see you later. She pats him on the shoulder as she walks around him on the way out, leaving her Jell-O behind. Scott: Uh, yeah. Debbie and Pete follow her briefly with their gazes. Pete: Check out Scotty liking the manic-depressive chick. Scott isn't too pleased with that comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment