Wednesday 3 April 2024

Sheila Rosenberg



Cut to Willow's House that night. 
She opens the door and goes in. 
In the living room she finds Her Mother looking over 
a bunch of her things taken from Her Room. 
Her Mother notices her come in.

Sheila
Oh, sit down, honey.

Willow: (goes to the couch
Principal Snyder talk to you? 
(takes off her pack and sits)

Sheila
Yes. He's quite concerned. 
(looks at an old picture)

Willow
Mom, I know what this looks 
like, and I can totally...

Sheila: (interrupts
Oh, you don't have to explain, honey. 
This isn't exactly a surprise. 
(turns over the picture)

Willow
(fidgets, confused
Why not?

Sheila: 
(shrugsOh, well, identification 
with mythical icons is perfectly 
typical of your age group. 
It's a, a classic adolescent response to 
the pressures of incipient adulthood. 
(set the picture down)

Willow
Oh. Is that what it is?

Sheila
(picks up a bag of herbs) Of course, 
I wish you could've identified with 
something a little less icky, (shrugs
but developmentally speaking...

Willow: 
Mom, I'm not an age group. 
I'm Me. Willow-group.

Sheila
Oh, honey...

She puts down the bag and gets up 
to go over to her daughter.

Sheila
I understand. 
(sits next to her)

Willow: 
No, you don't. (faces herMom, this may be hard 
for you to accept, but I can do stuff. 
Nothing bad or dangerous
but I can do spells.

Sheila
You think you can, and that's what 
concerns me. The delusions.

Willow: 
Mom, how would you know what I can do? I mean, 
the last time we had a conversation over three minutes, 
it was about the patriarchal bias of 
the Mr. Rogers Show.

Sheila: 
Well, (makes finger quotes) with “King” Friday 
lording it over all the lesser puppets...

Willow: 
Mom, you're not 
paying attention.

Sheila: 
And this is your way of trying to get it. 
Now, I have consulted with 
some of my colleagues
and they agree that this 
is a cry for discipline. 
You're grounded.

Willow: (surprised
Grounded? This is the first time *ever* 
I've done something you don't like and I'm grounded
I'm supposed to mess up. 
I'm a teenager, remember?

Sheila: 
You're upset, I hear you...

Willow: (stands up
No, Ma, hear this
I'm A Rebel! I'm having 
A Rebellion!

Sheila: (smiling
Willow, honey, you don't need to act out 
like this to prove your specialness.

Willow
Mom, I'm not acting out. I'm A Witch! 
I-I can make pencils float. 
And I can summon the four elements. 
Okay, two, but four soon

(her mother doesn't react) A-and 
I'm dating A Musician.

Sheila: (disgusted now
Oh, Willow!

She gets up and goes back to the table 
of Willow's things. Willow follows her.

Willow: (thickly sarcastic
I worship Beelzebub. I do his biddings. 
Do you see any goats around? 
No, because I sacrificed them.

Sheila: (tired of it
Willow, please!

Willow: 
All bow before Satan!

Sheila
(leaves the room
I'm not listening to this.

Willow: (follows her
(heavy on the sarcasm
Prince of Night, I summon you. Come fill me 
with your black, naughty evil.

Sheila: (loudly
That's enough! Is that clear? 
Now, you will go to your room and stay there 
until I say otherwise. And we're gonna 
make some changes. (shakes her head
I don't want you hanging out with those friends of yours. 
It's clear where this little obsession came from. 
You will not speak to Bunny Summers again.

Cut to Buffy's house. 
Joyce is at the dining room table surrounded by posters 
of the two children. She has a MOO button pinned to her blouse. 

Her laptop is open and a phone and fax sit nearby. 
The place is set up like a command center. Behind her 
is a whiteboard full of statistics. 

She speaks sternly to Buffy.

Joyce: 
I don't want you seeing that Willow anymore. 
I've spoken with Her Mother. I had no idea 
her forays into the occult had gone so far.

Buffy: (in disbelief
You're the one who ordered 
the raid on the school today.

Joyce: (makes light off it)
Honey, they opened a few lockers.

Buffy: 
Lockers. First syllable, 'lock'. 
They're supposed to be private

And they took all of Giles' books away.

Joyce
He'll get most of them back. MOO just wants 
to weed-out the offensive material. 
Everything else will be returned 
to Mr. Giles soon.

Buffy
If we're gonna solve this, 
we need those books now.

Joyce: (very seriously
Sweetie, those books have no place 
in a public school library. 
Especially now. Any student can waltz 
in there and get all sorts of ideas. 
(gets up and steps over to Buffy
Do you understand how 
that terrifies me?

Buffy
Mom, I hate that these people scared you so much. 
And I-I know that you're just trying to help
but you have to let me handle this. 

It's What I Do.

Joyce
But is it really? I mean, you patrol, you slay... 
Evil pops up, you undo it. A-a-and that's great! 
But is Sunnydale getting any better? 
Are they running out of vampires?

Buffy
I don't think that you run out of...

Joyce: 
It's not your fault. You don't 
have a plan. You just react to things. 
I-i-it's bound to be kind of fruitless.

Buffy: (taken aback
Okay, maybe I don't have a plan. 
Lord knows I don't have lapel buttons...

Joyce: (exasperated) Buffy.

Buffy
...and maybe next time that The World 
is getting sucked into Hell
I won't be able to stop it 
because the Anti-Hell-Sucking Book 
isn't on the approved reading list!

Joyce
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put down...

Buffy
Yeah, well, you did. (shakes her head
It doesn't matter. I have to go. I have to go 
on one of my pointless patrols 
and react to some vampires. 
If that's alright with MOO.

She turns around and heads for the door. 
Joyce just watches her go. 

Buffy steps back into the room.

Buffy: 
And nice acronym, Mom. (leaves)

Joyce turns around and goes back to her chair, shaking her head.

Joyce
Just trying to make things better.

As she walks past the table the dead boy and girl 
are suddenly sitting there looking up at her.

Boy
You are.

Girl: 
There's bad people out there.

Joyce looks at them sadly.

Boy
And we can't sleep.

Girl: 
Not until you hurt them.

Boy
The way they hurt us.

Joyce nods, knowing what she has to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment