Wednesday 28 October 2020

Drake Woke.



“My name is Alex Drake.
I've just been shot and that bullet's taken me back to 1981. 

I may be one second away from Life or one second away from Death. 

All I know is that I have to keep fighting, fight to live, fight to see my daughter, fight, to get Home."


So Who WAS Jack Flint/Alex Drake/Gene Hunt anyway?

We based our cover personalities on popular DETECTIVE stars from ‘70s cop shows.



We’re The Sweeney, Son — and we ‘aven’t ‘ad any dinner.

Getcha trousers on — you’re nicked.




The second officially licensed novel based on The Prisoner, published in 1969, refers to Number Six as “Drake” from its very first sentence: 

“Drake Woke.”














“Alexander Crowley... who later changed his name to Aleister from largely numerological reasons when he discovered that the letters in ‘Alexander’ only added up to the second cousin of The Beast.”

— Alan Moore, 
From Hell footnotes.




The expression Dracula, which is now primarily known as the name of a fictional vampire, was for centuries known as the sobriquet of Vlad III.

Diplomatic reports and popular stories referred to him as Dracula, Dracuglia, or Drakula already in the 15th century.

He himself signed his two letters as “Dragulya” or “Drakulya” in the late 1470s.

His name had its origin in the sobriquet of his father, Vlad Dracul (“Vlad the Dragon” in medieval Romanian), who received it after he became a member of the Order of the Dragon.

Dracula is the Slavonic genitive form of Dracul, meaning “[the son] of Dracul (or the Dragon)”.

In modern Romanian, dracul means “The Devil”, which contributed to Vlad’s reputation.

Vlad III is known as Vlad Țepeș (or Vlad the Impaler) in Romanian historiography.

This sobriquet is connected to the impalement that was his favorite method of execution.

The Ottoman writer Tursun Beg referred to him as Kazıklı Voyvoda (Impaler Lord) around 1500.

Mircea the Shepherd, Voivode of Wallachia, used this sobriquet when referring to Vlad III in a letter of grant on 1 April 1551.



KNOCKING

DRAKE :
Did you hear me?
Why is that there?
What is it for?
It's a toilet. I'm a vampire.
Why have you given me a toilet?

DOOR BANGS SHUT

Good morning, Count Dracula.
How are you settling in?

DRAKE :
Well, uh, I have a chemical toilet.
And this.

[ He holds up a Kindle. ]

You have every book ever written during your coma, and somewhere to sit.

DRAKE :
Well, I need more than books, Zoe.

MECHANICAL WHIRRING

POWERS DOWN

Take off your coat and roll up your left sleeve.

DRAKE :
Why?

Because I told you to, and I can break you with a sunbeam.
I'm coming in. Make any attempt to attack me, and my colleague will fully open the roof and burn you to a crisp.
Do you understand?

DRAKE :
So you're a Doctor this
time, are you?
I think I preferred the disappointed nun.

I'm a scientist. 

DRAKE :
Well, that amounts to the same thing.

I'm not Sister Agatha.
I'm Dr Helsing, and I'm the woman in charge of this foundation.

DRAKE :
In charge of it?

SHE LAUGHS
Oh, of course. 
I suppose women's rights are just something you slept through.

DRAKE :
Women's what? 
Did you say rights?

You'll get the hang of it.

DRAKE :
No, no, no, please try and explain.

I missed an entire century.
What are... rights?

Nobody has rights, Zoe.

Man, woman or monster.
No-one, nowhere.
It's just a lunatic fantasy.

Or Civilisation, as we like to call it.
Give me your left arm. 

DRAKE :
Why?

Because you're going to give blood.

DRAKE :
Well, this is a first.
So tell me, what is the Jonathan Harker Foundation?

I can't seem to penetrate the skin.

DRAKE :
Oh?
Give it to me.
Take this.
Hold this.

HE SIGHS

Johnny was a fine man.
What has this place got to do with him?
Oh, you remember Harker, then?

DRAKE :
Mm.

This foundation was set up by
Mina Murray, his fiancee.

Do you remember her?

SHE SCREAMS

DRAKE :
Barely.
Insipid little thing.
Flavourless, one imagines.

But you left her alive.

DRAKE :
Go! Now!

When her father died, she inherited his fortune and with the cooperation of Sister Agatha's extended family, they set up this foundation in Jonathan's name.

DRAKE :
So you run the family firm.
I've always approved of inherited power.
Democracy is the tyranny of the uninformed.
Only in blood... do we find the truth, Zoe.

Our primary purpose is medical research, but with the stipulation that, were you ever to be found, you would be trapped, studied, understood, and humanely fed.

You're a unique specimen. 

DRAKE :
No.
I'm a 500-year-old warlord.
And... I know mercenaries when I see them.
Who's funding this place?
Because people who can afford
mercenaries are very rarely interested in medicine.
You're withholding information.
I'm giving you everything.
Blood is lives.
Everything is in the blood, Zoe,
if you know how to read it.
Do you know how to read it?

You couldn't read mine.
You choked on it.


DRAKE :
I remember the flavour, though.
Um... what IS that?
You're...
You're fast, you're clever, driven.
But driven by what?
Agatha was always trying to
save everybody, but you...
You hold yourself apart.
Friendless.
Loveless.
Childless.
Compromised. Corrupt, even.
Ahh!
Zoe Helsing, there's a shadow on your heart.
I've sampled this bitter bouquet before, and these days, I believe, you call it...

SHE HISSES

..cancer.
That's why your blood was poison to me.
You're dying.

BLOXHAM :
Doctor, I need to talk you.

What is it? Who's this?

DRAKE : 
Oh, hi, Frank.



Sorry. Yes, hello.
Bit late - er, trains.


What are you thinking?
Get rid of him.

Throw him out of
the bloody building!

Dr Helsing, I think you'd better listen.

Who are you?

DRAKE :
I'm sorry, that's rude of me.
This is Frank Renfield.
We've been, um, Skyping.

Hello. Dr Helsing, isn't it?

I-I-I'm sure we can sort all this
out. 

Skyping?

DRAKE :
Ah, yes. Um, thanks for this.


You're online? You're not supposed to be online.

DRAKE :
Well, don't you know how these things work?
Terribly clever.

Who gave him the Wi-Fi password?

DRAKE :
Well, it's my name.

Oh, Jesus.

DRAKE :
Tell Dr Helsing who you are.

Right. Well, yes.
I'm Count Dracula's lawyer.

His what?

His lawyer. 


His lawyer?

HE CHUCKLES
Sorry. Well, not sorry, but, you know.

I'm afraid it does look like you're keeping him here against his will.
And whilst my client doesn't want to make a fuss, well, 
that's not really on, is it?

Since when do you have a lawyer?

DRAKE :
Um.....189...6?

Exactly. Yes.

We've been representing Count
Dracula since September 12th, 1896.
Well, Hawkins and Wentworth have.
Wasn't there myself.
Not that old! N-No offence.

1896?

We purchased some properties for the Count and arranged his resettlement.

Does it bother you that the man
who engaged your firm in 1896 is standing over there without a single grey hair?

DRAKE :
HE EXCLAIMS
Thank you.

Oh, it does, yes.
Quite a lot, really.

In fact, I think it's properly
frightening. Don't you?

But the thing is, you see,
being well over a century old
is not actually against The Law.

What's against The Law is you locking him up.

I think you might have forgotten,
Dr Helsing...
Count Dracula has rights.

He's a bloody vampire!

I-I feel that's an emotionally loaded term.

It is the correct term.

It's not a legal term.
Has he harmed anyone? 

Yes. 

No.

Well, on the beach, he... 

No.

There were rumours of an incident on the beach a few nights ago, but there was no trace of anything the following morning, and everyone has stopped talking
about it.

So either there's been
some sort of cover-up, in which case The Police will certainly be interested, 
or there was no incident to cover up in the first place and my client is guilty of nothing.

Which would you prefer?

After all, why would a medical
research facility have access to, I don't know, let's say... mercenaries?

I'm not curious for myself, you understand, but people are such gossips.

Count Dracula has given a deadline for his release - 11 minutes past eight this evening.

Slightly odd timing, but he has his ways.

It's not odd. It's not odd at all, Mr Renfield.

11 minutes past eight is sunset.

HE CHUCKLES

I'm sending you an e-mail.

Dear Zoe,

Thank you for being such a courteous host.

It is, however, the tradition that the courteous host must speed the parting guest, and I'm sure you will accord with
this.

Also, thank you for your offer of
food.

However, it is not my practice
to eat cattle.

In the matter of blood, I'm a
connoisseur.

Blood is lives.

Blood is testimony.

The testimony of everyone I have ever destroyed flows in my veins.

I will choose with care who joins them now.

Ripeness is the first moment of
decay.

Sweetness is the promise of
corruption.

I shall look for the perfect food
of This World.

HE CHUCKLES
And I will find it.

Never doubt that.

I will find it.

Blood is everything you needed to know, Zoe, if you understand how to read it.

Have you worked out how yet?

If you ever hope to match me, you'll have to.

RENFIELD:
The Jonathan Harker Foundation - terribly interesting.

Did some tremendous work
during the last two flu outbreaks, but their funding stream is, to say the least, opaque.

One might almost say...occult.

No comments:

Post a Comment