Monday 22 June 2020

PRIME


prime (adj.)
late 14c., "first in order," from Latin primus "first, the first, first part," figuratively "chief, principal; excellent, distinguished, noble" (source also of Italian and Spanish primo), from pre-Italic *prismos, superlative of PIE *preis- "before," from root *per- (1) "forward," hence "in front of, before, first, chief."

 
Meaning "first in importance" is from 1610s in English; that of "first-rate" is from 1620s. Arithmetical sense (as in prime number) is from 1560s; prime meridian "the meridian of the earth from which longitude is measured, that of Greenwich, England," is from 1878. Prime time originally (c. 1500) meant "spring time;" broadcasting sense of "peak tuning-in period" is attested by 1961.

prime (n.)
"earliest canonical hour" (6 a.m.), Old English prim, from Medieval Latin prima "the first service," from Latin prima hora "the first hour" (of the Roman day). Meaning "most vigorous stage" first recorded 1530s; specifically "springtime of human life" (often meaning ages roughly 21 to 28) is from 1590s. In classical Latin, noun uses of the adjective meant "first part, beginning; leading place."

 
prime (v.)
"to fill, charge, load" (a weapon), 1510s, probably from prime (adj.). Meaning "to cover with a first coat of paint or dye" is from c. 1600. To prime a pump (c. 1840) meant to pour water down the tube, which saturated the sucking mechanism and made it draw up water more readily. Related: Primed; priming.



LORE: 
You did what you had to do?
What kind of answer is that? 

SOONG: 
The only one I can give you. 
You were not functioning properly. 

DATA: 
Lore told me the colonists envied him because you made him so completely human. 

SOONG: 
I wouldn't exactly have used the word envious, Data. 

LORE: 
You disassembled me. 
You took me apart. 

DATA: 
Lore also told me the colonists petitioned you to replace him with a less perfect android. 

SOONG: 
The last thing you should think of yourself as, Data, is less perfect. 

The two of you are virtually identical, except for a bit of programming. 

DATA: 
It was a lie. 
Another lie. 

LORE: 
I would have proven myself worth to you, if you'd just given me a chance. 
But it was easier just to turn your back and build your precious Data. 

SOONG: 
You were the first. 
You meant as much to me as Data ever did, but you were unstable. 
The colonists were not envious of you, they were afraid of you. 
You were unstable. 

DATA: 
I am not less perfect than Lore. 

LORE: 
Why didn't you just fix me? 
It was within your power to fix me. 

SOONG: 
It wasn't as easy as that. 
The next, the next logical step was to construct Data. Afterward, I planned to get back to you, to fix you. 

LORE: 
Next logical step. 

DATA: 
I am not less perfect than Lore. 

LORE: 
I am not less perfect than Lore. 

SOONG: 
Enough! Both of you, sit down. Sit down. For all these years I've been plagued by what went wrong. With all of your complexities, Lore, your nuances, basic emotions seemed almost simple by comparison. But the emotion turned, and twisted, became entangled with ambition. Lore, if I had known you were no longer sitting in pieces on some distant shelf, if I had known that I could simply press a button and bring you here, I would have spent those years trying to make things right for you as well. But all I knew of was Data. So I worked long and hard, and now I believe I've succeeded. This is why I brought you here, Data. Basic emotions. Simple feelings, Data. 
Your feelings. I've imagined how hard it's been for you, living amongst beings so moved by emotion. 

(Both androids stare at the tiny chip held in the tweezers) 

LORE: 
I don't have to imagine. 
I know how hard it's been. 
You'd be surprised, Data. 
Feelings do funny things.
 You may even learn to understand your evil brother. 
To forgive him. 
We will be more alike, Data, you and I. 
You'll see. 
I'm happy for you. 

DATA: 
I question your sincerity, Lore. 

SOONG: 
Perhaps with this you'll learn to be more trusting, Data. 
Your brother has had good reason to be bitter. 

DATA: 
But sir, Lore was responsible for - 

SOONG: 
He wasn't given the chance that you and I were given, to live. But now I'm sure he understands why I had to do what I had to do. 

If there were only time, Lore. What a shame. The procedure is quite simple. I'm tired. I need to rest, first, I'm tired. 
(And he leaves the brothers eyeing each other)



No comments:

Post a Comment