Wednesday 18 September 2019

Stormer Youth : Defection from Xavier’s



Junior Battle is like Solar Eclipse —
We Rarely See Him, 
But When We Do, 
It’s Always Special.





“Spence didn’t get as far as 1999 in his Towards 2012 essay, but he imagined the rise of a “Stormer” generation of what he called “imperial youth.” As it happened, his predictions were more or less accurate. In 1999, we had nu-metal, The Matrix, tight clothes, short hair, No Logo anticorporate demos, the emergence of bondage styles, and the Goth underground moving into the mainstream, a revival of popularity for cocaine, and, more significantly, perhaps, the jittery rise of Red Bull, Starbucks and coffee society. Comics gave us proactive world-changing superheroes and villains in Authority, Marvel Boy, and Wanted.


When last I was at Exeter,
The Mayor in courtesy show'd me The Castle,
And call'd it ‘Rougemont’ : at which name I started,
Because a Bard of Ireland told me once

I should not live long after I saw Richmond.


Junior Fury :
It's one of your contracts, sir.

I've amended that contract.

You require your players to maintain a 2.3 grade point average.
I’ve committed to maintaining a 3.5.

You require ten hours of community service, and l've committed to 50.

Any unexcused absences, any other disciplinary issues at school, you can nullify this agreement and send me to any school you want.

Papa Fury :
And how many days do I have
to consider this offer?

Junior Fury :
None.
The second page is a letter you need to sign that confirms my withdrawal from St. Francis [Xavier’s]
They know l'm leaving.

Papa Fury :
What?
You withdrew from St. Francis?

Junior Fury :
l called Richmond.
They expect me there in the morning.

Papa Fury :
You called Richmond?
You should have spoken to me
about this.

Junior Fury :
lt was a personal choice for me.

Papa Fury :
Well, I can fix all that in the morning.

Junior Fury :
Sir, please listen :

All l wanna do is play for you.
If I'm one of the top students at Richmond, I mean one of the top in the whole school, and I have great SATs, I can go to any college in the country.
l'm asking you to Trust Me.

Papa Fury :
You really wanna do this, huh?
Okay.
Part of growing up is making your own decisions and LIVING with The Consequences.

And you will EARN every minute of playing time.


No comments:

Post a Comment