Tuesday 7 November 2023

Condor





Listen. I work for The CIA. 
I'm not a spy. I just read books. 
We read everything that's published in the world, 
and we-- we feed the plots-- dirty tricks, codes 
into a computer, and the computer checks 
against actual CIA plans and operations. 
I look for leaks, new ideas. 
We read adventures and 
novels and journals. 

I-- I can-- 
Who'd invent
job like that?

 Tell her what you got. Male, Caucasian, mid 40s, appears to have been shot. - Where? - In his room. - Very funny. - O.K., O.K. The wound's below the heart. - Shot once? - Seems to have been, yes. First you said appears to have been shot. Mr. Turner. Oh, Dr. Lappe, I'm sure he'll be here any second now. Really? Mr. Turner's late again. Get back to work. We can dope it out in five minutes and get back to work. - Know what Joey would say? - He isn't the only mind in this place. Come on. Uh, what kind of a slug? - You're missing the point, Ray. - What do you mean? The machine will come back with, " Please express in otherwords." What should we feed in? [Doorbell Rings] [Buzz] - Turner,Joseph. No middle initial. - You're minutes late. Make it will you? I was bucking head winds. Dr. Lappe, anything in the early pouch for me? - Dr. Lappe? - Yes? Nothing in response toyour report. Please have the book I left on your desk analyzed and on the computer by : . Yes, sir. Better get the telemias moved closer to the light. You're getting a blight on the leaf. At ease, Sarge. At ease. Going to rain today. : . [Ray] There's got to be more details. [Harold] I only read two chapters. - No other clues? - Not so far. - [Janice] What time they fiind him? - Early evening. They never said what the caliber ofthe bullet was. - Apparently . . - There it is again-- "Apparently." It made an entry wound characteristic of a . . They couldn't recover the slug. Hey, we're getting somewhere. You guys figure it out. I have Far East journals to read. Was the slug smashed against the wall? No. As a matter offact, there was no exit wound. We're not getting anywhere. Finish the book, Harold. Hi. What we've got so far is-- Ice. Instead oflead. Ice! The murderer pours water into a . caliber mold, freezes it, and keeps it solid until the crime. Then he shoots the guy with the ice bullet. Cops show up, there'sjust a few drops ofwater. - No bullet, no ballistics. - That's great. - Hey. - Yeah? What is this? Mmm. Calligraphy's getting beautiful. - What is it? - Ten. That means heaven. That's it? Nothing else? Well, it can mean the best. Tops sometimes. Why? I'm not sure. We're going to Sam and Mae's tonight, right? - Mm-hmm. - Why don'tyou talk to Sam about it? - About this? - Mm-hmm. I did. He says, "That's interesting, but it's not my department." Which means he doesn't think there's anything,just like Dr. Lappe. - And you. - Well, there's not much. - A mystery that's been translated? - A mystery that didn't sell... has been translated into a very odd assortment of languages-- Turkish, but not French, Arabic, but not Russian... or German... Dutch. Spanish? Yes. Yes. Hey, where'd you get that thing about the ice? Dashiell Hammett? DickTracy. Areyou sure about this ideogram? Look at this face. Could I be wrong about an ideogram? It's a great face, but it's never been to China. - When can I get computer time? - DickTracy? - He was a very underrated detective. - There's free time at : . Morning pickup. No, no, no, no. Stay on schedule. I'll get it. - Four pieces, right? - Right. - Hold it. Hold it. - Five. - Affiirmative. Fiver. - Where is Mr. Heidegger? - Called in sick, Dr. Lappe. - He's probably hung over again. This is extraordinary. I wasjust checking the fiiles... and came across this carbon copy ofan inquiry he sent to Persian Gulfcommand. He did that for me. It neverwent through my offiice. I asked him to do some research for me. I guess he didn't feel it was important. I wish you people would go through channels. [Door Opens] Uh, what's on your mind? O.K. [Buzz] [Not Audible] This was in the pouch from New York Center. HQfrom Langley said there's nothing... from any other intelligence source to supportyour theory. -Gentlemen. -This your idea ofworking on that book? I'll have it on the computer by : . We have people to service these machines. These things are simple. Theyjust look complicated. Mr. Turner, I wonder ifyou're entirely happy here. - Within obvious limits, yes, sir. - Obvious limits? It bothers me I can't tell people what I do. Why is it taking you long to accept that? Well, I actually trust a few people. That's a problem. I believe it's your turn to bring in lunch. What time is it? - : . - The rain's going to stop by : . You can wait eight minutes. Ah, yes. Yes. Mr. Turner? Hey! Hey! Hey! Damn it. It's not a proper exit. He always goes out that way when it rains. Saves him a block. Personnel should enter and exit the premises by authorized means only. [Thunder] Jimmy. - Hey, Shakespeare, how's it going? - Terrifiic. I'm building up a great collection ofrejection slips. Yeah, I know the feeling. I always wanted to be Escoffiier. Maybe it's not too late. Van Gogh was before he started to paint. - No kidding? - There's no mayonnaise on Dr. Lappe's. On the other hand, Mozart was when he started playing the piano. - He was composing at . - Fast starter. It's probably better. I don't know. Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime. Mozart died a pauper. - Where am l, the public library? - That's a very bright man. It's educational. That's why I come in here. You come in here to get sick like everybody else. - Come on. - No butter on Ray's sandwich. He get panicky about butter. [Doorbell Rings] [Buzz] [Typewriter] Give it toJennings in the back. He'll sign for it. - [Gunfiire] - Edwinna Rose. [Clock Chimes] 

No comments:

Post a Comment