Wednesday 13 May 2020

The Test




The thought of being locked in the one shape all the time. (shudders) It's unnatural. 

You solids. You are so impatient. I thought we could sit here for a while, maybe go to a bar, have a pint, throw some darts. 

Let me ask you a question. How many changelings do you think are here on Earth right at this moment? 


What if I were to tell you that there are only four on this entire planet. Not counting Constable Odo of course. 

Think of it. Just four of us, and look at the havoc we've wrought. 


Four is more than enough. 
We're smarter than solids. 
We're better than you. 

And most importantly, we do not fear you the way you fear us. 
In the end, it's your fear that will destroy you. 



If what you say is true, if the power outage was part of Leyton's plan, then it's worked perfectly. 

Right now the public overwhelmingly supports the increased security. 

If I tried to remove those troops over Leyton's objections, I'll have a planetwide riot on my hands. 


SISKO: 
Listen to me — 
You HAVE got to take The Test. 

JOSEPH: 
Why should I? 
If I were an enemy spy looking to replace someone, I think I could come up with better choices than an old chef. 

SISKO:
 Yeah, you're probably right. 
But this isn't •about• you. 

We've got civilian families living on starships and Starfleet installations all over the Federation. 

The •only• way we can secure those facilities is to test •everyone• there, whether they wear a uniform or not. 

JOSEPH: 
I'm not living on a Starfleet installation. 

SISKO: 
Dad, if we're going to test the family members of one Starfleet officer, we must to test them •all•.

JOSEPH: 
You may want to test everyone, but that doesn't mean we all have to cooperate

I didn't take an oath to Starfleet. 

Neither did Jake or your sister or anyone in your family. 

We have rights, Ben, including the right to be as stubborn or thickheaded as we want. 

SISKO: 
Damn it, Dad. Can't you cooperate just one time? 

You don't take your medication, you don't go to the doctor, you won't let Judith help you in the restaurant. 

Just one time, please do what you're asked. 

JOSEPH: 
I wish I could, but what you're asking me to do is wrong. 

You can't go around making people prove they are who they say they are. 

That's no way to live and I'm not going to go along with it. 

Now, if you want to make yourself useful, start some water boiling for the shrimp. 

SISKO: 
Come on, Dad. Don't be this way. 
If I have to, I will get a warrant —
 
JOSEPH: 
And what? Hold me down and force me to give you my blood? 
Because that's the only way you'll get. 

Damn it. Now look what I've done. 

(Joseph has cut his finger with his chopping knife. He puts it under the tap as Sisko stares at the blood left on the knife.) 

JOSEPH: 
Jake? 

JAKE: 
Yeah? 
JOSEPH: 
I've got a dermal regenerator under the —

Benjamin Lafayette Sisko. 

What the hell has gotten into your head? 

You actually thought I was one of them, didn't you? 

SISKO: 
I don't know. 
I wasn't sure. 

JOSEPH: 
This business has got you so twisted around you can't think straight. 

You're seeing shape-shifters everywhere. 

Maybe you ought to think about something for a minute. 

If I was a smart shape-shifter, a really good one, the first thing I would do would be to grab some poor soul off the street, absorb every ounce of his blood, and let it out on cue whenever someone like you tried to test me. 

Don't you see? 
There isn't a test that's been created a smart man can't find his way around. 

You aren't going to catch shape-shifters using some gadget. 

The only thing you can count on in this life is  —

(Joseph gasps in pain.) 



[Sisko's restaurant]

(Joseph's having his regular security blood test done by a young blonde.) 

JOSEPH: 
What did I tell you? 
As human as I ever was. 

(Joseph goes off to the patio area where Sisko is having his meal.) 

SISKO: 
You seem pretty jovial today. 

JOSEPH: 
Is there a problem with that? 

SISKO: 
It's just, well, you didn't seem too happy about being tested a few days ago.

JOSEPH: 
That was before the changelings sabotaged the power grid. 

SISKO: 
I know, but you have to admit you were pretty adamant about it. 

JOSEPH: 
I don't understand you. 

When I didn't want to be tested, you made it an issue. 

Now that I'm cooperating, you're still not satisfied. 


SISKO: 
It's not you, Dad. 

JOSEPH: 
Then what is it? 

SISKO: 
I'm Not Sure. Maybe I'm just being paranoid

No comments:

Post a Comment