Friday 27 April 2018

Natalie Portman in The Bath

You don't live with me, you live among the remains of dead people. 

You sift through the detritus, you read the terrain, you search for signs of passing, for the scent of your prey, and then you hunt them down. 

[ The Proper Purpose of Criticism is to seperate The Wheat from The Chaff - Picking Diamonds out of Shit.]

That's the only thing you're committed to. 
The rest is The Mess you leave as you pass through.

[ Like your Ex-Husband..? ]

You prefer the normal routine. 
We fuck and you lose the power of speech.

*****

[Vincent gets back after being called to the scene of Waingro's latest murder victim]

Justine
I guess the earth shattered?

Vincent
So why didn't you let Bosko take you home?

Justine
I didn't wanna ruin their night too. 
What was it?

Vincent
You don't wanna know.

Justine
I'd like to know what's behind that grim look on your face.

[ You Don't. ]

Vincent
I don't do that. 
You know it. 
Let's go, come on.

Justine
You never told me I'd be excluded.

Vincent
I told you when we hooked up, baby, that you were gonna have to share me with all the bad people and all the ugly events on this planet.

Justine
And I bought into that sharing
Because I love you. 
I love you fat, bald, money, no money, driving a bus - 

I don't care. 

[ I do  care - and you have absolutely no appreciation or respect for I do.

For you,  for your daughter, and for 8 Million strangers, nearly all of whom are less fortunate than You or I. ]

But you have got to be present like a normal guy, some of the time. 

That's sharing. 
This is not sharing, this is left-overs!

Vincent
Oh, I see, what I should do is, er, come home and say, 
"Hi honey! Guess what? I walked into this house today, where this junkie asshole just fried his baby in a microwave, because it was crying too loud

So let me share that with you. 

Come on, let's share that, and in sharing it, we'll somehow, er, cathartically dispel all that heinous shit". 

Right? 

[pause] 

Wrong.


Selfish Damn Mother

Justine
Are you all right? What happened? Where've you been?

Vincent
Work. 

Lauren's dad show up?

Justine
Didn't call, didn't show. 
We waited for you until 10:30.

Vincent:
Does this guy have any idea of what's going on with his kid?

Justine
[shakes her head] 
I don't know.

[ Why don't you know? ]

Vincent
What, is she okay?

Justine
She's been in her room all day, so no, she's not okay. 

[ "I haven't checked - because its too hard." ]

[ And it requires A Man. ]

Neither am I. 

Uh, I made dinner for us four hours ago. 
Um, by the time I tried to maintain a consistent mood between us, she'd withdraw.

Vincent
I've got three dead bodies on a sidewalk off Venice Boulevard, Justine! 

I'm sorry if the goddamn...chicken...got overcooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment