Tuesday 21 February 2023

Musgrave



JOHN MUSGRAVE : MARINES 
Let's just say that being a Marine combat veteran on a college campus in 1969 and 1970 -- it wasn't a real good thing to be if you wanted 
to get dates and be popular.

When I came Home, it seemed like
I didn't have anything to 
Give to anybody else.

NARRATOR
Marine Corporal John Musgrave 
had very nearly died in combat 
below the DMZ in 
the autumn of 1967. 
Wounded in the jaw and shoulder, 
his ribs shattered, 
lung pierced, nerves cut,
he had spent 17 months 
in Navy hospitals.

He was now studying at 
Baker University in 
Baldwin City, Kansas.

But wherever he went
The War was never far away.

MUSGRAVE
And the peace movement, 
for a while, got REAL nasty, 
calling veterans baby killers.
It did MORE than piss us off.

It broke Our Hearts.

What were they 
THINKING?

You Don't Turn Your Backs 
on Your Warriors.

I didn't Trust anybody 
anymore. Just My Family.

NARRATOR
Musgrave was so hurt by the way 
some people treated him that 
he volunteered to return to Vietnam.

Because of his injuries, The Marines turned him down, and asked him 
to help recruit men instead.

He did for a time, but 
when students asked him 
Questions about The War 
he couldn't answer,
he also began to read 
about How and Why 
it was being fought.

MUSGRAVE: 
I had friends in-country on a second tour, and, you know, I, I was still... 
considered myself a Marine and...
 and the more I read, the less 
I found to be able to defend 
our presence there.

So then, I, I just stopped 
talking to everybody.

(dog barking)

NARRATOR: 
Musgrave gradually felt as if he were being torn in two.
And he was still haunted by the memory of those Marines who had died while he had lived.

MUSGRAVE : 
I was dating my .45 
in those years, you know.
Coming home at night after drinking, 
and pressing it up against my temple, 
or putting it under my chin, 
wondering if this was gonna 
be the night I was gonna 
have the guts to do it. 
I'd had a round chambered, 
and I'd taken the safety off.

Same kind of pistol 
I carried in Vietnam.

And I thought, "I'm really 
gonna do it tonight."

You know, like, "Whew, I'm really 
gonna do it," you know.

And my dogs... I'd let 
my dogs out. I had two dogs.
And they jumped on the front door
and scratched on the front door.

They wanted in.
And I put the safety back on the pistol and set it down and went and let 'em in.
And they were so open in their love for me that I literally said out loud,
"Whoa, if I really want to do this, I can do this tomorrow."

And I went back in the room,
and I put the pistol in the drawer, and...and I... I think 
that was the closest I came.

I think maybe I would have killed...
k-k-killed myself that night.
But something as simple as my dogs wanting back in... stopped that thought, you know.
I'm really glad that 
it didn't happen.

But at the time, 
it just made so much sense.





MUSGRAVE
As I was walking towards it from 
the reflecting pool, there were 
so many names on those walls.

And all of a sudden, My Throat 
swole up, and I thought, 
"I can't do this. I can't 
do this right now."

And I collapsed.
And all the tears I'd 
been holding back...

I didn't cry, I sobbed.
I was on my knees, sobbing.
I couldn't stop, I couldn't 
get my breath.
And I was so grateful to God 
that it was there.
I thought,
"This is going to Save Lives.
This is going to Save Lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment