Tuesday 8 February 2022

Apish Courtesy


They do me wrong, and I will not endure it. 

I fear our happiness is at its height. 

Who is it that complains unto the king
 that I, forsooth, am stern, and love them not? 
Because I cannot flatter... 
Look fair, smile in men's faces,
deceive, cog, duck with 
French nods and apish courtesy
I must be held a rancorous enemy
 
The World they live in... 
The World they exist in is privy 
to these kinds of... 
internecine family quarrel. 

That's right. 
They are clawing at each other 
for the throne. 
 
Brother Gloucester, we know your meaning. You envy my advancement and my friends'. 
God grant we may never have need of you! 

Meantime, God grants that I have need of you. Our brother is imprison'd by your means... ...myself disgraced... ...the nobility of the house held in contempt... ...while great promotions are daily given to ennoble those... ...that scarce, some two days since, were worth a noble. 

By Him that raised me to this careful height... 
from that contented hap which I enjoy'd
I never did incense his majesty 
against the Duke of Clarence. 

You're gonna say you are not the mean of 
my Lord Hastings' late imprisonment? 
 
You see? Richard's stirring the pot
The King is Dying, 
so he's fearful and paranoid,
sending people to jail --

This is a situation Richard loves
 
He can use the fear, the turmoil to his advantage
He knows they hate each other. 
He'll use their hatred to manipulate them. 
You know, to divide, then conquer. 
 
My Lord of Gloucester, I have too long borne
these blunt upbraidings and these bitter scoffs. By heaven, I will acquaint his majesty 
of these gross taunts. 
I'd rather be a country servant... 
 
What! Threat you me with telling of the king? 
Tell him, and spare not. 
Let me put it in your minds, if you forget.
what you are ere this, and what you are. 
Withal, what I have been, 
and what I am. 
 
 
A murderous villain
and so still thou art. 
 
Well, it is a complicated play too. 
All those relationships and the wives --
The Queen Margaret stuff is difficult
Hear me, you wrangling pirates, 
that fall out in sharing
 that which you have pill'd from me! 
 
Margaret was The Queen before The War. 
She was a Lancaster, 
and she was dethroned 
by The Yorks. 
 
She's a ghost of The Past, 
haunting Yhe Yorks with her curses
 
A husband and a son... 
 
Don't you think she rants and raves 
around the castle like this a lot
 
No
 
No? 
 
I don't think so --
I think she just comes in this day... 
...because it's a crisis time, 
and she FEELS it! 
 
Give way, dull clouds, 
to my quick curses! 
 
It's primordial
She brings that kind of Music 
 into this experience. 
 
Poor painted queen. 
The day will come that thou shalt 
wish for me to help thee
curse this poisonous bunchback'd toad
 
Reading this play, as I take word by word... 
...everything She Says happens
 
Beware of yonder dog! 
Look. Have not to do with him, 
beware of him. 
Sin, death, and hell have set their marks on him...
 ...and all their messengers await on him. 
 
Thou hateful wither'd hag, 
have done thy charm.  
 
And leave out thee? 
Stay, dog, for thou shalt hear me.
 
The worm of conscience still begnaw thy soul. 
Thou elvish-mark'd, abortive, rooting hog....
 
Live each of you the subjects to his hate... 
...and he to yours, and all of you 
to God's
 
We don't say a word
We let her go. 
 
The Music... Literally, I mean The Music... 
... and the thoughts and the concepts... 
... and the feelings have not been divorced 
from The Words.
 
And in England,  
You've had centuries 
in which Word 
 has been totally divorced... 
...from Truth --
 
And that's A Problem 
for Us-actors. 
 
 
If we think words are things and have no feelings in words... 
...then we say things to each other that mean nothing. 
But if we felt what we said, we'd say less and mean more.

No comments:

Post a Comment