Friday 24 April 2020

Modern Times




"Modern Times." 
A story of industry, of individual enterprise - humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness.




Sheriff Couler:
Well, you're a free man. 

The Tramp :
Free? Can't I stay a little longer? 
I'm so happy here. 

Sheriff Couler : 
This letter will help you to get work. 
Now Make Good.



“What I’m worried about also, in this age of social media. . . I’ve noticed that as a teacher in the classroom that the young people are so used to communicating now by cellphone, by iPhone, that they’re losing body language and facial expressions, which I think is going to compound the problem with these dating encounters.

Because the ability to read the human face and to read little tiny inflections of emotion... . I think my generation got that from looking at great foreign films with their long takes. So you’d have Jeanne Moreau and Catherine Deneuve in like potential romantic encounters, and you could see the tiniest little inflections that signal communication or sexual readiness or irony or skepticism or distance or whatever.

The inability to read other people’s intentions. . . I think this is going to be a disaster. I just notice how year by year the students are becoming much more flat affect. And they themselves complain that they’ll sit in the same room with someone and be texting to
each other.”



No comments:

Post a Comment