Friday 25 March 2022

The Princess Energy

 






[Sanctuary District Street]
(A manhole cover lifts, and Dax climbs out. She is followed by a dim.)


[Processing Centre]
SISKO
Try opening that menu.

BASHIR
It just brings me back to the same screen. 
There doesn't seem to be any way 
of getting past the lockout and logging onto the Net.

SISKO
There has to be.

BASHIR
How can you be certain?

SISKO
Because according to History, 
the residents were able to get onto the Net 
and tell their side of the story. 
Millions of people watched.

BASHIR
Well no one here's been able to get past the lockout.

SISKO
Maybe it was Bell. 
And if HE did it, WE have to also.

BC
Listen up, everybody. 
A couple of dims just brought us a little present.

(Dax is brought in, minus comm. badge)


BC: 
I don't know about you fellas, 
but I'm in love.

BASHIR: 
Jadzia.

BC: 
You know her?

DAX: 
Julian.

BC: 
Can you believe it? 
It's The Story of My Life -- 
All The Good Ones are taken.

BASHIR
You remember my friend Gabe?

SISKO: 
Gabriel Bell. 
It's good to see you again.

DAX: 
Good to see you.

BC
Allow me to introduce myself :
Biddle Coleridge.

[ He has The Heart of a Poet. ]

VIN
Biddle?

Coleridge
Hey.

VIN
I didn't say a word.

DAX
I've been looking all over for you.

WEBB
Excuse me. 
You obviously don't live here, 
so how did you get in?

DAX
I managed to recode my ID card 
so that I could get past 
the Sanitation Department checkpoint.

Coleridge:
(very impressed
You crawled IN through The Sewers? 
You must really like these guys.

BASHIR
You should sit down. You must be exhausted.

Coleridge
It's too bad. 
I really think me and her 
could've had something special.

[Processing Centre - Lee's cubicle]

DAX
So what you're saying is that 
even if I could get you out, you wouldn't leave.

SISKO
Those hostages have to be protected whatever the cost.

BASHIR
You said that one of the men who brought you here took your comm. badge.

DAX
That's right. 
And it's set to emit a subspace distress signal.

SISKO
Julian, I want you to help Dax find 
the men who took her comm. badge 
and then I want you both 
to get away from this place.

DAX
But if the Defiant locks on to my distress signal 
and we're not together...

SISKO
As soon as the hostages are in police custody, 
I'll try to make it back to the beam-in site. 
If for some reason I can't make it, 
you'll have to leave without me.

BASHIR
Sir, obviously Jadzia has got to leave -- 
If something were to happen to her, 
it wouldn't take a doctor long 
to figure out she wasn't human. 
But you're still going to need help 
to keep those hostages alive, 
and if it's all the same to you, I'll stay.

SISKO
All right. See if you can get 
her comm. badge back. 
I'll keep trying to log onto the Net.

BASHIR
The Police cut off our access.

DAX
That's one problem 
I might be able to help you with.

[Sanctuary District Street]

BASHIR
Do you really think you can 
convince your friend 
to put us on the Net?


DAX
It'll take some persuading 
but I think he'll do what's right. 
This is it. The men who took 
my comm. badge brought me here 
before they took me to the Processing Centre.

[Sanctuary District Building]

BASHIR
Hello? Hello?

GRADY [OC]: 
There's nobody here.

BASHIR
We just want to talk.

GRADY:
(waves his hand in front of his face
Woosh! I'm invisible (!)

DAX
If you say so.

GRADY
You can see me?

BASHIR
....Just barely.

GRADY
That's okay. 
As long as THEY can't see me.

DAX
Who?

GRADY
The aliens. They'll suck your brains out 
right through your ears.

DAX: 
I know. You see, 
I'm an alien.

GRADY
...I thought so. 
But You're A Good Alien.

DAX
Right. I'm here to protect 
The Earth from its enemies

But I need that piece of jewellry 
you're holding to do it.

GRADY
....I understand. 
Here, You take it. 
Good Luck.

DAX: 
Thank you. Shh. 
Don't tell anyone.

GRADY
I won't. I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment