Wednesday 30 March 2022

They TEND to Think You are SERIOUS.





BEN FRANKLIN: 
Politics is The Art of The Possible
What did you get by opposing the motion? 
It was carried with or without you;
all you did was make enemies
And-- and make yourself 
feel better, of course.

JOHN ADAMS: 
Do you not believe in 
saying what you think?

FRANKLIN: 
No, I'm very much against it. 
Thinking aloud is responsible 
for much of mankind's misery. 
Saint Thomas à Becket might have lived 
to a ripe, old age if he'd... hm
[smiles, nods, chuckling wryly; pause; takes a breath
You insulted Mr. Dickinson. 
[pause
You insulted him in public.

ADAMS: 
Would you have me 
insult him in private?

FRANKLIN: 
It's perfectly acceptable 
to insult someone in private. 
Sometimes they might even 
thank you for it afterwards, 
but when you do it in public
they tend to think you are serious.

ADAMS: 
I feel hated in this town.

FRANKLIN: 
Go gently. I beg you. 
You are a guest in Philadelphia. 
Fish and guests stink after three days.


FRANKLIN: 
Diplomacy is seduction in another guise, Mr. Adams.


ADAMS: 
[of COLONEL WASHINGTON
A natural leader.

FRANKLIN: 
Well, he's always the tallest man in the room. 
He's bound to end up leading something.


ABIGAIL ADAMS: 
Will General Howe attack again?

JOHN: 
It's impossible to say.

ABIGAIL: 
What is that but an Army of Occupation? 
And The Congress goes on its knees to The King. 
Has the king deigned to reply? 
[pause
I understand people like Mr. Dickinson 
and his friends all too well, John. 
Send a woman to The Congress, 
she might knock some sense into them.

JOHN: 
It is not a question of men and women, Abigail, 
it is a matter of politics.

ABIGAIL: 
PoliticsPolitics?

JOHN: 
Mm.

ABIGAIL: 
And do women not live politics, John Adams? 
When I go to the cupboard, and I find no coffee, no sugar, 
no pins, no meat, am I not living politics? [pause
This war touches people that your Congress 
treats with the same contempt 
King George reserves for the people of Boston. 
I mean women, yes, and slaves, too, for that matter.

JOHN: 
[looks at her]

ABIGAIL: 
Though I'm sure you-- you wish 
I would not mention that subject 
as it might upset your southern friends.

JOHN: [pause
You are harsh, madam.

ABIGAIL: 
I am cold. [pause] And frightened. 
I am afraid this war will never end. Or begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment