Friday 25 March 2022

Garak’s Cave







[Internment centre]
(It's another match, another opponent for Worf. He snaps the Jem'Hadar's neck and howls in victory.) 


MARTOK
Five matches and five victories. 
You truly have the spirit of Kahless within you. 


IKAT'IKA
Until tomorrow. 


WORF
I'll be waiting!

[Barracks]
BASHIR
You've got three broken ribs, 
maybe four. 


WORF
They will heal. 


BASHIR
Not if you keep fighting, they won't. 
You're lucky you didn't 
puncture a lung. 
A body, even a Klingon body, 
can only take so much punishment. 


WORF
I will fight. 


MARTOK
It is the only honourable thing to do. 


BASHIR
He'll lose. 
And in this condition, 
he might even die. 


WORF
Then I will die. 
But I will not yield. 


MARTOK
You heard him. 
Bandage his ribs.


[Crawlspace]
(The fibreoptic strands Garak is using as a light source are flickering.) 

GARAK
I'm sorry, but that's absolutely unacceptable
I'm under enough strain as it is, 
I can't have you quitting on me.
 
Get a hold of yourself, Garak. 
After all, you haven't had one of these attacks in years. 

Yes, this is a tight enclosed space. 
Yes, there's not a lot of room to move. 
But a disciplined mind does not allow itself to be sidetracked 
by niggling psychological disorders like claustrophobia

Besides, this isn't like Tzenketh. 
The Walls won't collapse in on you. 

Your friends are near by, 
there's plenty of air, 
so there's nothing to be concerned about. 

Focus on The Job
You're the only person who can contact the runabout. 
People are depending on you. 
Ziyal is depending on you.
 
You promised her you'd come back, 
and that young lady 
has had quite enough disappointments in her life 
without you adding to them, 
so control yourself. 

You're stronger than this. 
A disciplined mind —


(And the light goes out)


[Barracks]
MARTOK
Seven battles and seven victories! 
What Hero of Legend 
could have done as well? 


WORF
Heroes of Legends 
don't ache so much.

 
MARTOK
Your Federation friends 
have taught you modesty, 
but this is no time for modesty. 
When we return to 
The Klingon Empire, 
I will seek out Keedera himself 
and tell him of your glorious tale. 
He will write a song worthy of you. 


BASHIR
Well, be sure to send me a copy. 


MARTOK
I'll do better than that —
I can make sure that he mentions you, 
The Healer who bound The Warrior's wounds 
so he could fight again.

WORF
Right now, the only part of The Song 
that I wish to hear is 
the verse that tells of 
our escape. 

What good is defeating every Jem'Hadar soldier in this compound
 if it does not bring us 
closer to our freedom? 


BASHIR: 
We have to come up with 
a new escape plan. 

GARAK
That won't be necessary. 
The original one will work
I just have to finish what I started. 
After all, a verse about the Cardassian 
who panicked in the face of danger 
would ruin General Martok's song. 

MARTOK
And would be unfortunate. 


GARAK: 
Now, if you'll excuse me, 
my dungeon awaits. 

MARTOK
There is no greater enemy 
than one's own fears. 

WORF
It takes a brave man to face them.

No comments:

Post a Comment