Tuesday 1 March 2022

Flame







[Tuvok's quarters]
(Tuvok is giving a lesson in meditation.)

TUVOK: 
The Flame, like Emotion, is a primitive force. Left unchecked, it's chaotic, destructive. But if controlled it can be a powerful tool. The lamp controls the flame, as you must learn to control your emotions. 

TORRES: 
I lost my temper. No big deal. 

TUVOK: 
You destroyed the Doctor's holographic camera. 

TORRES: 
I told him three times to leave Engineering, 
but he kept buzzing around snapping pictures 
for some photo essay. 

TUVOK: 
"A Day in The Life of The Warp Core." 

TORRES: 
I apologised, and I replicated him a new camera. 

TUVOK: 
You have a long history of emotional volatility. 
The Point of this exercise is not to atone for past transgressions, but to prevent future ones. 

TORRES: 
You can't order someone to meditate. 

TUVOK: 
Commander Chakotay thinks otherwise. 

(Torres kneels opposite Tuvok.)

TORRES: 
Are my eyes supposed to be open 
or closed for this part. 

TUVOK: 
Whichever allows you to focus your mind. 

(She closes them.)

TUVOK: 
Envision the flame burning within you. 

(Torres laughs.)

TORRES: Sorry. 

TUVOK: 
The Flame grows hotter. 
A point of white light. 
Follow it backward through the years to a time 
when you were younger, a child. 
Is there something amusing, Lieutenant? 

TORRES: 
I'm sorry, an image just flashed through my mind. You as a child, those pointy little ears. 
You must have been cute. 

TUVOK: 
Indeed. Please follow my instructions or we'll discontinue this exercise. 

TORRES: 
Right. Me, childhood. 
How old? 

TUVOK: 
Your earliest memories. 
Try to recall a time when you experienced uncontrollable anger. 

TORRES: 
Daniel Byrd. 

TUVOK: 
I beg your pardon? 

TORRES: 
He was one of my classmates in grammar school. 
He was always terrorising me. 
He used to point at my cranial ridges 
and tease me about being half Klingon. 
He called me Miss Turtlehead. 

TUVOK: 
That angered you. 

TORRES: 
Of course, it did. 
So I attacked him once, 
during recess, on the gyro-swing. 
I disengaged the centrifugal governor. 
He was spinning so fast, 
he almost flew apart. 
Then I yanked him off the swing and started pounding his little face! 

If Miss Malvin hadn't showed up, 
I probably would have --

TUVOK: 
Describe the anger you felt at that moment. 

TORRES: 
I, I wanted to hurt him. 
To take revenge for all the 
humiliation he caused me. 

TUVOK: 
Your Anger was a source of strength. 
It Protected You, gave you Courage. 

TORRES: 
I suppose it did. 

TUVOK: 
And when the Doctor tried to take a holo-photograph of you? 

TORRES: 
I was annoyed. 
He kept getting in the way. 

TUVOK
The rage within you runs deep. 
It's been with you for many years. 

TORRES
I'm not a Vulcan. 
I'll survive. 

TUVOK
Whatever you say, 
Miss Turtlehead. 

TORRES
What did you say! 

TUVOK
You're easily provoked. 
You must learn to master your emotions. 

TORRES
I've had enough mastery for one day. 
School's out.

[Bridge]
PARIS: 
So, how'd it go with B'Elanna today? 

TUVOK: 
Our meditation sessions are confidential. 

PARIS: 
No, I'm not asking for sordid details. 
I just want to know if 
you think you can help her. 

TUVOK: 
Her training will be 
a challenge for both of us. 

PARIS: 
Take it from me, getting B'Elanna 
to control her temper is like convincing 
a Ferengi to leave his estate to charity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment