Sunday 3 October 2021

There is No Reason to Be Afraid.








Stardate: 49578.2

[Drayan moon]


(Lush vegetation and a crashed shuttlecraft. A crewman is lying on the ground nearby. Tuvok fetches a medkit.) 

TUVOK
Tuvok to Voyager. 
Voyager, do you read?
You must lie still. 

BENNET
I can't, I can't feel my legs. 

TUVOK
Several of your vertebrae have been fractured. 

BENNET
Isn't there anything you can do? 

TUVOK
I'm afraid the shuttle's medical supplies are inadequate. 
We must wait for Voyager to find us. 

BENNET
It's getting worse. 
My whole body feels numb. 

TUVOK
I want you to slow your breathing, and relax your muscles. 
Try not to move. 

BENNET
All this time I thought I was so lucky…

No Family back Home. 
Nobody to miss. 

Now it seems kind of sad 
not to leave anybody behind. 

TUVOK
I believe Ensign Macormak 
would Miss You a great deal. 

BENNET
You think so? 
I was never really sure how she —

(Bennet dies. Tuvok sets up a stasis field over his body then hears a rustling in the bushes. He takes out his phaser and turns to see that it is a young girl. She tries to run across the clearing and he grabs her.

TUVOK
It's all right, don't be frightened. 
I won't Hurt You. 

TRESSA
Let me go! 

TUVOK
Will you run if I do?

(She struggles then gives up.) 

TRESSA
No.

TUVOK
My Name is Tuvok. 
Who are you? 

TRESSA
Tressa. 
You don't look Like Us. 

TUVOK
I am not A Member of Your Race. 
I am Vulcan

I thought this moon was uninhabited. 
Do you live here? 

TRESSA
We came here on a ship, 
but it crashed like yours. 

TUVOK
Where are your parents? 

TRESSA
Dead. Is he dead too? 

TUVOK
Yes. 

TRESSA
What were you doing to him? 

TUVOK
I put a stasis field around His Body 
to protect it until I can take it 
back to My Ship. 

TRESSA
Why? 

TUVOK
Some cultures, like Mister Bennet's, 
consider an appropriate burial 
to be a Sign of Respect. 

Tressa, is there anyone else here with you? 

(She nods.

TRESSA
It's all right. 

(Another girl and a boy come out of the bushes.

TUVOK
There is no one looking after you? 

TRESSA
Everyone Else died in The Crash. 
We're alone. 

TUVOK
There is No Reason 
to Be Afraid. 

I Will Take Care of You Now 
and See That You Get Home Safely. 

(The second girl and the boy run over and hug Tuvok, then Tressa joins in.)


No comments:

Post a Comment