Tuesday 3 August 2021

Superman Emeritus





“It's something I've come to terms with and pared down to it coming down to The Patriarchal Structures that have been oppressing us and Superman can easily be made to be representative of that. 

This Dad-like figure looking out for us can be made authoritarian but I think that's a mistake,

I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming A Tyrant is ridiculous; •my• mum and dad died and •I• didn't become a tyrant. 

If •I• can handle it, Superman can handle it.

We're kind of leaning into
The Idea that He's a really Good Man 
and wants to Do The Best for Us, but 
He's NOT ACTUALLY HUMAN. 

He doesn't want to Break Us  but he's gotten to The Point where 
He Thinks maybe He should Break Us, maybe We NEED This. 

It's slightly scarier than  Superman as An Authoritarian Dad with Heat Vision Eyes, it's more of an ALIEN perspective saying, 

“I've had enough of you. 

You've been messing up TOO long 
and are REALLY going to Hurt Yourselves if •I• don't DO Something.”  

— G.M on Superman and The Authority

Papa Spank!

Emeritus (/əˈmɛrɪtəs/; female: Emerita),Note 1 in its current usage, is an adjective used to designate a retired chair, professor, pastor, bishop, pope, director, president, prime minister, rabbi, emperor, or other person who has been “permitted to retain as an honorary title the rank of the last office held”.1
For the Scarface album, see Emeritus (album). For the eldercare company, see Emeritus Senior Living.

In some cases, the term is conferred automatically upon all persons who retire at a given rank, but in others, it remains a mark of distinguished service, awarded only to a few on retirement. It is also used when a person of distinction in a profession retires or hands over the position, enabling their former rank to be retained in their title, e.g., “professor emeritus”. The term emeritus does not necessarily signify that a person has relinquished all the duties of their former position, and they may continue to exercise some of them.

The title emeritus is not used for a deceased person, except in obituaries, where it may indicate their status at the time of death.

Etymology
Emeritus (past participle of Latin emerere, meaning “complete one’s service”) is a compound of the Latin prefix e- (variant of ex-) meaning “out of, from” and merere (source of “merit”) meaning “to serve, earn”. The word is attested since the early 17th century with the meaning “having served out one’s time, having done sufficient service.” The Latin feminine equivalent, emerita (/ɪˈmɛrɪtə/), is also sometimes used, however, in English the word emeritus is often unmarked for gender.


NOAH :
[•BROKEN•]
I cannot do this.

(ILA CONTINUES SOBBING)

SHEM: 
It's all right.

(CONTINUES SOBBING)

(SHEM SHUSHING)

(SHATTERS)

SHEM: 
Hide your eyes, Japheth.

NOAH: 
Ham?

SHEM: 
He's here.


(SOBBING)

NOAH 
(SOBBING) :
You don't have to go.
I don't belong Here.

For what it's worth,
I'm glad that it begins again 
with you.

Maybe we'll learn to be kind.


HERMIONE GRANGER :
Will he come back?

NOAH'S WIFE :
Some things cannot be unbroken.

NOAH'S WIFE :
I have to know...
Why did you spare them?

NOAH :
I looked down 
at those two little girls, 
and all I had in my heart 
was love.

NOAH'S WIFE :
Then why are you alone, Noah?

Why are you separated 
from Your Family?

NOAH :
Because I failed Him.
And I failed all of YOU.

NOAH'S WIFE :
Did you?

He chose you for 
A REASON, Noah.

He showed you 
The Wickedness of Man 
and knew you would not look away.

But then you saw Goodness, too.

The Choice was put in Your 
hands because He put it there.

He asked you to decide 
If We were Worth Saving.

And you chose Mercy.
You chose Love.

He has given us 
A Second Chance.

Be A Father.
Be A Grandfather.

Help Us to Do Better this time.
Help us Start Again.

(SNIFFLES)

(SOBBING)

(NAAMEH SIGHS)

(LAUGHS)

NOAH :
The Creator, made Adam 
in His Image,
and placed 
The World in His Care.

That Birthright, 
was passed down to Us.

To My Father, 
then to Me, and to My Sons,
Shem, Japheth, and Ham.

That Birthright is now passed to you, 
Our Grandchildren.

This will be 
Your Work, 
and 
Your Responsibility.

So I Say to You --
Be Fruitful & Multiply, 
and 
Replenish The Earth



Angelus: 
Everything That I am
Everything that I have done
Has led me Here

Cut to 
Manhattan, 
1996. 

A bum steps up to a trashcan and begins to go through it. 
A man walks past him and on down the street. 
Having found nothing, the bum makes his way into an alley with slow, labored steps. 

A boy runs past him with a package and disappears further down the alley. 

The bum, tired and weak, staggers into a concrete post at the side of the alley and stops. 

He coughs and rolls around to lean with his back against the post, and it's Angel, tired, filthy and unkempt. 

He just breathes for a moment, and then smells something. 

He searches the alley with his eyes and spots a rat scampering across to the other side. 

He takes a couple of unsteady steps, brushes the hair from his face and begins to stalk the rat. 

It reaches the other side and disappears into a pile of trashcans and bags. 

Angel dives after it, scattering the cans and bags noisily, but loses the rat. 

A man comes into the alley behind him. 
Angel rolls over to sit and flails his arms at the trashcans in anger over missing the rat. 
The man comes up to him. 

Whistler: 
God, are you disgusting

Angel calms down a bit and looks around himself. 

Whistler: 
This is really an unforgettable smell. 
This is the Stench of Death you're giving off here!

And the look says, uh... 
Crazy Homeless Guy. 

It's Not Good

Angel: (angrily) 
Get away from me. 

Whistler: 
What are you gonna do, bite me? 
(gasps and jumps back
Horrors! A vampire! 

Angel looks at him in surprise. 

Whistler: 
Ah, but you wouldn't bite me on account of your poor, tortured soul. 
It's so sad, a vampire with a soul. 
It's so poignant. 

Angel: (confused) 
Who are you? 

Whistler: 
Let's take a walk. 

Cut to a ways down the street. 

The two of them walk along the sidewalk for a few paces and then turn into the street to cross to the hotdog stand on the other side. 
Angel isn't paying any attention to the traffic, so Whistler grabs his arm to stop him. 

Whistler: 
What are you eating? 
(they continue across
Like, a rat once a month? 

Angel strays and almost walks into another car. 
Whistler grabs him again and pulls him back in time. 

Whistler: 
Hey! 
(car honks, they continue
Look, you're skin and bones here! 
Butcher shops are throwing away more blood in a day than you could stand. 
Good blood
(they reach the far side
You lived in The World a little bit, you'd know that. 

Angel: 
I wanna know who you are. 
(stops

Whistler: 
(stops and faces him
And I wanna know Who *You* Are. 

Angel: 
You already do. 

Whistler: 
Not yet. 
But I'm looking to find out. 
'Cause you could go either way here. 

Angel: 
I don't understand you. 

Whistler: 
Nobody understands me. 
That's my curse. 
(chuckles

He steps over to the street vendor and pulls out some cash. 

Whistler: 
Dog me. Mustard. 

He watches the vendor get out the hotdog and squirt on some mustard. 

Whistler: (to Angel) 
My name's Whistler. 

Vendor: 
Here you go. 

Whistler: 
(takes the dog) 
Thanks. 
(hands over a bill, turns to Angel
Anyway, lately it is. 
(takes a bite) Mm. 

Angel: (looks down) 
You're not a vampire. 

Whistler: 
A demon... technically. 
I mean, I'm not a bad guy. 
Not all demons are dedicated to the destruction of all life. 

Angel: (looks at him) 
Whadaya mean, I can go either way? 

Whistler: 
I mean, that you can become an even more useless rodent than you already are, 
or you can become someone. 

A person. 
Someone to be counted. 

Angel: 
I just wanna be left alone. 
(starts away

Whistler: 
Well, yeah, you've been left alone for, what, ninety years already. 
(Angel turns back
And what a package you are. 

The Stink Guy! 

Angel: 
What do you want from me? 

Whistler: 
I want you to see something. 

He gives Angel an intense look. 
Angel just looks at him. 

Whistler: 
We'd have to leave now
You see, and then you tell me what you wanna do

No comments:

Post a Comment