Saturday 25 December 2021

Don Juan in Hell



















THE DEVIL
Don Juan : shall I be Frank with you?

DON JUAN
Were you not so before?

THE DEVIL
As far as I went, yes. 
But I will now go further
and confess to you that 
men get tired of everything, 
of heaven no less than of hell; 
and that all history is nothing but a record of the oscillations of the world 
between these two extremes. 
An epoch is but a swing of the pendulum; 
and each generation thinks The World is progressing 
because it is always moving. 

But when you are as old as I am; 
when you have a thousand times wearied of heaven, like myself and the Commander, 
and a thousand times wearied of hell, 
as you are wearied now, you will no longer imagine that every swing from Heaven to hell is an emancipation
every swing from hell to heaven An Evolution

Where you now see reform, progress, fulfilment of upward tendency, continual ascent by Man 
on the stepping stones of his dead selves to higher things
you will see nothing but 
an infinite comedy of illusion

You will discover the profound Truth 
of the saying of my friend Koheleth, that there is nothing new under the sun. Vanitas vanitatum—

DON JUAN
[out of all patience] 
By Heaven, this is worse than your cant about love and beauty. 

Clever dolt that you are,
 is A Man no better than a worm, or a dog than a wolf, 
because he gets tired of everything
Shall he give up eating because he destroys his appetite in the act of gratifying it? 
Is a field idle when it is fallow? 

Can the Commander expend his hellish energy here without accumulating heavenly energy for his next term of blessedness? 

Granted that the great Life Force 
has hit on the device of the clockmaker's pendulum, 
and uses the earth for its bob; 
that the history of each oscillation, which seems so novel to us the actors, 
is but the history of the last oscillation repeated; 
nay more, that in the unthinkable infinitude of time 
the sun throws off the earth and catches it again a thousand times 
as a circus rider throws up a ball, and that the total of all our epochs 
is 
but the moment between the toss and the catch, 
has the colossal mechanism no purpose?

THE DEVIL
None, my friend. 
You Think, because you have a purpose, Nature must have one.
 You might as well expect it to have fingers and toes because you have them.

DON JUAN. 
But I should not have them if they served no purpose. 

And I, my friend, am as much a part of Nature 
as my own finger is a part of me. 

If my finger is the organ by which I grasp the sword and the mandoline, 
my brain is the organ by which 
Nature strives to understand itself. 

My dog's brain serves only my dog's purposes; 
but my brain labors at a knowledge which does nothing for me personally but make my body bitter to me and my decay and death a calamity

Were I not possessed with 
A Purpose Beyond My Own 
I had better be a ploughman than a philosopher
for the ploughman lives as long as the philosopher, 
eats more, sleeps better, and rejoices in the wife of his bosom 
with less misgiving. 

This is because the philosopher is 
in the grip of the Life Force. 
This Life Force says to him 
"I have done a thousand wonderful things unconsciously by merely willing to live and following the line of least resistance
now I want to know myself and my destination
and choose my path
so I have made a special brain—
a philosopher's brain
—to grasp this knowledge for me 
as the husbandman's hand grasps the plough for me.”

“And this" says the Life Force to the philosopher 
"must thou strive to do for me until thou diest
when I will make another brain 
and another philosopher 
to carry on the work."

THE DEVIL
What is the use of knowing?

DON JUAN
Why, to be able to choose the line of greatest advantage 
instead of yielding in the direction 
of the least resistance. 
Does a ship sail to its destination no better than a log drifts nowhither? 

The Philosopher is Nature's Pilot. 

And there you have our difference : 
To be in Hell is to Drift : To be in Heaven is to STEER.

THE DEVIL. 
On The Rocks, most likely.

DON JUAN. 
Pooh! Which Ship goes oftenest 
on the rocks or to the bottom — 
the drifting ship or the ship with a pilot on board?

THE DEVIL
Well, well, go Your Way, Senor Don Juan. 

I prefer to be my own master 
and not the tool of any blundering universal force. 
I know that Beauty is Good to Look at
that Music is Good to Hear;
that Love is Good to Feel
and that they are all 
Good to Think about and talk about. 
I know that to be well exercised in these sensations, emotions, and studies 
is to be a refined and cultivated being. 
Whatever they may say of me 
in churches on earth, 
I know that it is universally admitted 
in good society that 
The Prince of Darkness 
is A Gentleman
and that is Enough for Me. 

As to your Life Force, which you think irresistible
it is the most resistible thing in The World 
for a person of any character

But if You are Naturally Vulgar and Credulous
as all Reformers are
it will thrust you first into Religion
where you will Sprinkle Water on Babies to Save Their Souls from Me; 
then it will drive you from Religion into Science
where you will SNATCH The Babies from The Water-sprinkling 
and Inoculate them with Disease to Save Them from catching it accidentally
then you will take to Politics
where you will become The Catspaw of Corrupt Functionaries 
and The Henchman of Ambitious Humbugs
and The End will be Despair and Decrepitude
Broken Nerve and Shattered Hopes
Vain Regrets for that Worst and Silliest of Wastes and Sacrifices
The Waste and Sacrifice of 
The POWER of ENJOYMENT
In a Word, The Punishment of The Fool 
who pursues The Better 
before he has secured The Good.

DON JUAN
But at least I shall not be bored
The Service of the Life Force 
has that advantage, at all events. 
So fare you well, Senor Satan.

THE DEVIL
[amiably] 
Fare you well, Don Juan. 
I shall often think of our interesting chats about things in general. 
I wish you every happiness : 
Heaven, as I said before, 
suits some people. 
But if you should change your mind, do not forget that the gates are always open here to the repentant prodigal. 
If you feel at any time that warmth of heart, 
sincere unforced affection, innocent enjoyment, 
and warm, breathing, palpitating reality—

DON JUAN
Why not say flesh and blood at once, 
though we have left those two greasy commonplaces behind us?

THE DEVIL. [angrily] 
You throw my friendly farewell back in my teeth, then, Don Juan?

DON JUAN
By no means. But though there is much to be learnt 
from a cynical devil, I really cannot stand 
a sentimental one. 
Senor Commander : you know the way to 
The frontier of hell and heaven. 
Be good enough to direct me.

THE STATUE
Oh, The Frontier is only the difference between 
two ways of looking at things
Any road will take you across it 
if you really want to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment