Wednesday 1 December 2021

There are Heroes on Both Sides : Evil is Everywhere













What do you do when 
You're Not Sure

That's The Topic of 
My Sermon today. 

Last year when President Kennedy was assassinated, 
who among us did not experience 
the most profound 
Disorientation? Despair? 
Which way? 
What now? 

What do I say to my kids
What do I tell myself? 

It was a time of people sitting together, 
bound together by a common feeling of Hopelessness

But THINK of that — 

Your Bond with 
Your Fellow Being 
was Your Despair

It was a public experience,
it was awful
but We were in it together

How much worse is it then for the lone man, 
the lone woman, stricken by a private calamity? 

"No one knows I'm sick. " 

"No one knows I've lost my last real friend. " 

"No one knows I've done something wrong. " 

Imagine the isolation. 

Now you see The World as through A Window. 
On one side of the glass, happy untroubled people
and on the other side, you

God bless you, Sister.

Thank you. 

I wanna Tell You A Story. 

A cargo ship sank one night. 
It caught fire and went down, 
and only this one sailor survived. 

He found a lifeboat, rigged a sail, 
and being of a nautical discipline 
turned His Eyes to The Heavens 
and Read The Stars. 

He set a course for His Home, 
and, exhausted, fell asleep. 

Just keeps going on. 

Clouds rolled in, and for the next 20 nights, 
he could no longer see the stars. 

He thought he was on course, 
but there was 
no way to be certain

And as the days rolled on, 
and The Sailor wasted away, 
he began to have 
doubts

He just keeps on going. 

Had he set His Course right? 

Was he still going on towards His Home? 

Or was he horribly lost 
and doomed to 
a terrible death? 

No way to know. 

The message of the constellations, 
had he imagined it because of his desperate circumstance…? 

Or had he seen Truth once... 
Straighten up! 
... and now had to hold on to it 
without further reassurance? 

There are those of you in Church today
who know EXACTLY 
The Crisis of Faith I describe
and I wanna say to you, 
Doubt can be A Bond 
as powerful and sustaining as Certainty

When you are Lost, 
You are Not Alone. 




1 comment: