Wednesday 24 February 2021

No Ego to Bruise

 





Lt. SAAVIK : 
What happens if Reliant fails to follow us into the nebula?
 
SPOCK : 
I think we can guarantee she'll follow us -- 
 
Remind me to discuss with you, Lieutenant, 
The Concept of The Human Ego.
 



 
UHURA 
(on intercom): 
Admiral Kirk.
 
KIRK: 
Kirk here.
 
UHURA (on intercom): 
I have an urgent Comm-pic from Space Lab Regula I for you, sir. 
Doctor Carol Marcus.
 
KIRK: 
I'll take it in my quarters, Uhura.
 
UHURA (on intercom): 
Aye sir.
 
McCOY: 
It never rains but it pours.
 
KIRK: 
As a Physician, 
you of all people should appreciate the danger of 
re-opening old wounds.
 
McCOY: 
Sorry.
[Kirk's quarters]
 
 
CAROL (on viewscreen): 
Jim, can you read me?

 
KIRK: 
I can hear you, Carol. 
What's wrong? 
What's the matter?
CAROL (on viewscreen): Why are you taking Genesis away from us?
KIRK: Taking Genesis? Who's taking Genesis? Who is taking Genesis?
CAROL (on viewscreen): I can see you but can't hear.
KIRK: Carol!
CAROL (on viewscreen): Jim, did you give the order?

 
KIRK:
What order? Who's taking Genesis?
 
CAROL :
Please help us.
 
I will not let them have Genesis without proper authorisation!

 
KIRK:
Have Genesis? Who gav...

 
CAROL (on viewscreen):
On whose authority can they do this?

 
KIRK:
No one's authority.

 
CAROL (on viewscreen):
 
Please do something.

 
KIRK:
Uhura! What's happening?
Damn it.

 
UHURA (on intercom):
Transmission jammed at the source, sir.

 
KIRK:
Alert Starfleet Headquarters.

 
UHURA (on intercom):
Aye sir.

 
KIRK:
I want to talk to Starfleet Command.
 
 
[Regula I space laboratory]
 
CAROL :
We must have order here. This has to be some sort of mistake.

 
DAVID:
Mistake? We're all alone here.
They waited until everyone was on leave to do this.
Reliant is supposed to be at our disposal, not vice-versa.

 
MADISON: 
It seems clear that Starfleet never intended that.

 
CAROL: 
I that know, but...

 
DAVID: 
I've tried to tell you before. 
Scientists have always been pawns of the military.

 
CAROL: 
Starfleet has kept the peace for a hundred — 
I cannot and will not subscribe to your interpretation of this event.

 
JEDDA: 
You may be right, Doctor, but what about Reliant
She's on her way.
 
[Spock's quarters]
 
KIRK : 
We've got a problem. 
Something may be wrong at Regula I.
We've been ordered to investigate.

 
SPOCK: 
If memory serves, Regula I is a scientific research laboratory.

 
KIRK (OC): 
I told Starfleet all we had was a boatload of children but 
...we're the only ship in the Quadrant. 
 
Spock, these cadets of yours, how good are they? 
How will they respond under real pressure?

 
SPOCK: 
As with all living things, 
each according to his gifts. 
 
Of course, the ship is yours.

 
KIRK: 
No, that won't be necessary, just get me to Regula I.

 
SPOCK: 
As a Teacher on a Training Mission,
I am content to Command The Enterprise. 
 
If we are to go on actual duty,
it is clear that the senior officer on board
must assume command.

 
KIRK: 
It may be nothing —
 ...garbled communications. 
 
[ You know it isn and you are ignoring your intution.]
 
You take The Ship.

 
SPOCK: 
Jim, you proceed from a 
False Assumption
 
I am a Vulcan. 
I Have No Ego to Bruise.

 
KIRK (OC): 
You're about to remind me that Logic Alone dictates your actions.

 
SPOCK: 
I would not remind you of that which you know so well. 
 
If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept promotion. Commanding a starship is your first best destiny. Anything else is a waste of material.
KIRK: I would not presume to debate you.
SPOCK: That is wise. In any case, were I to invoke logic, logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
KIRK: Or the one.
SPOCK: You are my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours.
[Enterprise bridge]
KIRK: Stop energisers.
SULU (OC): Stop energisers.
KIRK: Prepare speakers. 
 
...An emergency situation has arisen. 
By order of Starfleet Command, as of now, eighteen hundred hours, I am assuming command of this vessel. 
 
Duty officer so note in the ship's log. 
 
Plot a new course, for Space Laboratory Regula I. 
 
Engine Room —
Mister Scott!

 
SCOTT (on intercom): 
Aye sir.

 
KIRK: 
We'll be going to warp speed.
SCOTT (on intercom): Aye sir.
SULU: Course plotted for Regula I, Admiral.
KIRK: Engage warp engines.
SAAVIK: Prepare for warp speed.

SULU: 
Ready, sir.

 
KIRK: 
I know that none of you were expecting this. 
 
I'm sorry. I'm gonna have you to ask you to grow up a little sooner than you expected. 
 
Warp Five.
 
SULU: 
So much for the little training cruise.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
KIRK: That's it?
SPOCK: Best we could do in two hours.
 
[Enterprise bridge]
 
SULU: Admiral on the bridge.
KIRK: Battle stations. ...Tactical. ...Uh oh.
SPOCK: She can out-run us and out-gun us. But there is the Mutara Nebula at one five three mark four.
KIRK: Scotty, can we make it inside?
SCOTT: The energiser's bypassed like a Christmas tree, ...so don't give me too many bumps.
KIRK: No promises. On your way.
SAAVIK: Trouble with the nebula, sir, is all that static discharge and gas clouds our tactical display. Visual won't function and shields will be useless.
SPOCK: Sauce for the goose, Mister Saavik. The odds will be even.
(the crew prepare the Enterprise for battle)
 
[Reliant bridge]
 
KHAN: There she is! There she is! ...Not so wounded as we were led to believe. So much the better.
 
[Enterprise bridge]
 
SPOCK: Estimating nebula penetration in two point two minutes. Reliant is closing.
KIRK: Steady as you go.
 
[Reliant bridge]
 
JOACHIM: If they go in there we'll lose them.
KHAN: Explain it to them.
 
[Enterprise bridge]
 
SAAVIK: That was close.
KIRK: They just don't want us going in there.
SPOCK: One minute to nebula perimeter.
 
[Reliant bridge]
 
KHAN: Why are we slowing?
JOACHIM: We daren't follow them into the nebula, sir, ...our shields will be useless.
 
[Enterprise bridge]
 
SPOCK: they are reducing speed.
KIRK: Uhura, patch me in.
UHURA (OC): Aye sir. ...You're on, Admiral.
 
[Reliant bridge]
 
KIRK (on intercom): 
This is Admiral Kirk -- 
We tried it once Your Way, Khan, are you game for a rematch? 
 
...Khan! I'm LAUGHING at The 'Superior Intellect'.
 
KHAN: Full impulse power!
JOACHIM: No sir! You have Genesis. ... You can have whatever you ...
KHAN: Full power, damn you!
 
[Enterprise bridge]
 
KIRK: I'll say this for him, he's consistent.
SPOCK: We are now entering the Mutara Nebula.
KIRK: Emergency lights.
 
 
Saavik: What happens if Reliant fails to follow us into the nebula?
Spock: I think we can guarantee she'll follow us, Lieutenant. Remind me to explain to you the concept of the human ego.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment