Saturday 20 February 2021

If You Look Up to Me, You'll See a God

 





My Son. 

You do not remember me. 


I am Jor-El. 

I am Your Father. 


By now you will have reached your 18th year, as it is measured on Earth. 

By that reckoning, I will have been dead for many thousands of your years. 


The knowledge, that I have matters physical and historic, I have given you fully on your voyage, to your new home. 


These are important matters to be sure but, still matters of mere fact


There are questions to be asked. 

And it is time, for you to do so. 


Here in this, this Fortress of Solitude —

We shall try to find the answers together


How does a good man live? 


What is virtue? 


When does a man's obligation to those around him exceed his obligation to himself? 


These are not simple questions. 

Even on Krypton, there is no precise science which provides us with the answers. 


I can only tell you what I myself believe. 

And to this end, I tried to anticipate your questions in the order of their importance to you. 


So, My Son — Speak :


Clark : 

Who am I?


Jor-El: 

Your Name is Kal-El. 

You are the only survivor of The Planet Krypton. 


Even though you have been raised, as a human being 

you are not one of them. 


You have great powers, only some of which you have, as yet discovered. 


Come with me now my son, as we break through the bars of your Earthly confinement, travelling through time and space... 


In the 6 known dimensions...


Your powers, will far exceed those of mortal man...


It is forbidden for you to interfere with Human History. 

Rather let your leadership, stir others to... 


In this next year, we shall examine, the human heart. 


It is more fragile than your own... 


For the past 2 years...


As we pass through the flaming turmoil which is the edge of your own galaxy, we will enter the realm of the red Krypton sun. 


Source of your strength and nourishment and, cause of our eventual destruction. 


The Planet Krypton, My Son, Your Home, as it was... 


This year, we shall examine the various concepts of immortatility, 

and their basis in actual fact... 


The total accumulation of all knowledge spanning the 28 known galaxies, is embedded in the crystals which I have sent along with you. 


Study them well my son, and learn from them...


Over the past 12 years, we have reasoned out logical judgments...


By the time we return to the confines of your galaxy, 12 of your years will have passed... 


For this reason among others, I have chosen Earth, for you... 


It is now time for you to rejoin your new world, and to serve its, collective Humanity. 


Live as one of them Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. 


But always hold in your heart the pride, of your special heritage. 


They can be a Great People Kal-El, They wish to be. 


They only lack The Light to show The Way. 


For this reason above all, their Capacity for Good, 

I have sent them you


My Only Son.


(Now an adult, Superman emerges from the Fortress. The crowd goes wild.)








THE FATHER :
Say No More. 

New category, please. 

Combine “Fact” 
with 
Fairy Tale 

Now. Ask Him Again.

THE SON :
“How can The Blue Fairy make A Robot into A Real, Live Boy?”

- !TUNK! -

- SYSTEM REBOOT -


THE SPIRIT OF THE CAVE :
Come away,O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand.

Your Quest will be perilous
Yet The Reward is Beyond Price.

In His Book,
'How Can A Robot Become Human',
Professor Allen Hobby writes of 
The Power Which Will Transform Mecha into Orga.

[ THERE IS A GOD, YOUNG KING DAVID -- 
AND HE HAS A NEW BOOK OUT.]

THE SON :
Will you tell me How to Find Her?
 
[ HE IS MEANT TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION : 
'Yes' or 'No.'
 
HE DOESN'T -- BECAUSE, AS WE LATER LEARN, 'GOD' (The Demiurge -- Professor Allen Hobby) HAS INTERCEEDED TO FORCE THE SPIRIT OF THE CAVE TO TELL HIM AT THIS POINT. ]
 


THE SPIRIT OF THE CAVE :
Discovery is quite possible.
Our blue fairy does exist
in one place, and one place only,
At The End of The World
Where The Lions Weep.
 
Here is The Place Dreams are Born.
 
THE FATHER :
Many a mecha has gone to The End of The World... 
Never to come back! 

That is Why They Call The End of The World :
'MAN-hattan'.

THE SON :
And that is Why We Must Go There!



HALLWAY OUTSIDE DR. KNOW'S SHOP

THE FATHER :
Wait! What if --
The Blue Fairy isn't Real at all, David? 

What if --
She's MagicK? 

The Supernatural is The Hidden Web that unites The Universe.

 Only orga believe What Cannot Be Seenor Measured. 

It is that oddness that separates Our Species.

Or what if --
The Blue Fairy is an Electronic Parasite that has
arisen to haunt The Minds of Artificial Intelligence? 

They hate us, you know? 
The humans...

They'll stop at nothing.
 
THE SON :
My Mommy doesn't hate me! 
Because I'm Special, and...Unique!

Because there has never been anyone like me before! Ever!

Mommy Loves Martin because He is Real 
and 
When I am Real,
Mommy's going to Read to Me, 
and 
Tuck Me in My Bed, 
and 
Sing to Me, 
and 
Listen to What I Say, 
and 
She Will Cuddle with Me, 
and 
Tell Me every day a hundred times a day 
that 
She Loves Me!

THE FATHER :
She loves 
What You Do for Her,
 as my customers love 
What it is I Do for Them. 

But She Does Not Love You David, 
She cannot love you. 

You are neither flesh, nor blood

You are not a dog, a cat or a canary

You were designed and built
specific, like The Rest of Us. 

And You are Alone now only because 
They tired of you, 
or 
Replaced you with a Younger Model, 
or 
Were displeased with Something You Said, or broke.

They made us Too SmartToo Quick, and Too Many. 

We are suffering for 
The Mistakes They Made, 
Because when The End comes,  
all that will be left is us

That's Why They Hate Us,
 and  
That is Why You Must Stay here — with me!

[He grins, offering his open hand]

THE SON :
Goodbye, Joe.



ROUGE CITY PLAZA

POLICE OFFICER :
You're in Big Trouble.
 
THE BEAR :
Be careful David, This is Not a Toy.

AMPHIBICOPTER :
Destination please?

THE FATHER :

MAN-hattan.



MANHATTAN

AMPHIBICOPTER :
Mecha Restricted Area.
Manhattan. 
Destination Achieved.

THE FATHER :

Man-hattan, The Lost City in The Sea at The End of The World.

THE SON :
Where The Lions Weep.

THE BEAR :
Grrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment