Friday 19 February 2021

Champions



Angel walks into Cordelia's apartment. 
Cordy and Wesley jump up from the table. 

Cordy:  
Angel!  Are you all right? 
(Takes in his appearance) 
What happened?

Angel:  
Is she here?" 
Cordy:  "The pregnant woman?  No. - Gunn, brought us the talisman, but..." 
Angel looks at Wesley. 
Wesley goes back to his books:  "Working on it." 
Angel:  "I told her to come here. - She doesn't trust me. - Why should she?" 
Angel hits the whiteboard. 
Cordy:  "You can't see everything.  You're just a vampire like everyone else... That didn't come out right." 
Angel:  "I thought I was out of the tunnel." 
Angel slumps down on the sofa. 
Cordy:  "Sure you did... because the tunnel is - you know, it's something we all... Are we talking real tunnel or symbolic?  Just give me that much." 
Angel:  "I-I saw the light at the end of the tunnel - that some day I might become human. - - That light was so bright, I thought I was already out." 
Cordy sits down beside him with a sigh:  "Yeah.  We all got a little cocky, didn't we? - It's gonna be a long while - until you work your way out - but I know you well enough to know you *will*. - And I'll be with you until you do." 
Angel:  "What about your inevitable stardom?" 
Cordy:  "I'm not saying I won't 



Wesley:  "I think we got something. It's medieval.  A small badge or coat of arms, to be presented when going before the Cahair Binse.  Roughly translated that's chair of judgement." 
Angel:  "The Tribunal." 
Wes:  "Right.  An ancient court to settle grievances." 
Cordy:  "You mean- with like lawyers and stuff." 
Wes:  "This is a little more primitive. It's a fight to the death." 
Angel:  "That's why she needed a champion.  Where would this Tribunal take place?" 
Wes:  "There is no way to tell.  They're mystical events, they could rise up in our reality whenever they please." 
Angel:  "Look, we got to find her right away - whatever it takes. - There's only one way."

Angel singing:  "Oh, Mandy.  Well you came and you gave without taking, but I sent you away, oh Mandy. Well, you kissed me and stopped me from shaking. (The green, horned host is watching him sing) and I need you today, oh Mandy. (Angel looks around at the demons in the audience and his singing gets a lot worse) Well, you came and you gave.." 
Cordy sitting beside Wesley at a table:  "That man will do anything to save a life." 
Finally the host goes up and takes the mike away from Angel as the song ends. 
Host:  "Hey, how 'bout that.  A performer.  Why don't we just call him Angel, the vampire with soul.  I'm gonna have a chat with Mr. Tall Dark and Rockin' and meanwhile, Durthock, the child-eater, is gonna open up to y'all.  He's searching for the gorrishyn mage that stole his power and he's feeling just a little bit country.  So, lets give him a hand." 
Host leads Angel off the stage. 
Host:  "Well. You're just the hot ticket.  One night only, two seats left, partially obstructed view." 
They sit down at a table. 
Angel:  "What can you tell me?" 
Host:  "I can tell you're all business." 
Angel:  "She's in danger." 
Host:  "And you're feeling pretty guilty about that.  Hey, you made an honest mistake.  You killed her protector.  A lot of guys would have done the same.  Of course now she's gonna have to face the judgement with no champion and that's looking grim for her and the baby." 
Angel: "Tell me where they are." 
Host:  "Well.  Who's a little curt? Who's a little curt Jurgens in 'The Enemy Below?' The Tribunal will be wherever she is.  She can't escape it." 
Angel:  "Where is she?" 
Host:  "My question first.  And answer true, because you know I'll know.  Why Mandy?" 
Angel:  "Well, I-I know the words - (leans in closer) - I kind of think it's pretty." 
Host smiling:  "And it is, you great, big sap!  There is not a destroyer of worlds that can argue with Manilow and good for you for fessin' up. She'll be at Forth and Spring.  The trial will be there." 
Angel:  "Trial?  How does it work?" 
Host:  "I can only tell you what I tell you.  The rest is up to you." 
Angel gets up to leave. 
Angel:  "Can I save her?" 
Host:  "Try - and find out."

No comments:

Post a Comment