Tuesday 29 December 2020

Alright, it's a Work in Progress, but So is Life. It'll Be Fine.










DOCTOR: 
All right, it's a work in progress, but so is life. 
It'll be fine. 
Oh! I got these downstairs. One must work. 
(A large collection of keys.) 
DOCTOR: You can figure out how to work a crane, right? Go. 
(She heads out along the horizontal long jib.) 
DOCTOR: Yep, way too high.

[Building site]

GRAHAM: Grace, she explicitly said not to come back. It's not safe. 
(The Gathering Coil is partway up the second crane.) 
GRACE: Look, it's swapped cranes. It's trying to bring it down. We have to stop it. 
(She hands her florescent vest to Graham and storms off.)

[Crane cab]

(Karl has reached the far end of the jib. Yasmin has been trying all the keys in the ignition.) 
YASMIN: Last one. (it works) Get in. Okay, so now we just need to swing the arm round to meet that one. 
(Ryan has been doing searches on his phone.) 
RYAN: Right, I think this shows us. Ready? 
YASMIN: Every day's a learning day.

[Crane jib]

DOCTOR: Wrong way! Wrong way!

[Crane cab]

RYAN: Wrong way. Wrong way! 
YASMIN: I know. Shut up.

[Crane jibs]

DOCTOR: Hiya, again. 
RYAN: What's going on? 
DOCTOR: When the arms line up, just step across. 
(The Gathering Coil manages to short-circuit the crane, and the jib halts about two metres lower than Karl's jib.) 
KARL: How am I supposed to get across there now? 
DOCTOR: When I said step, obviously I meant jump. Jump across. 
KARL: I can't do that! 
DOCTOR: Of course you can. Stand up, quick jump. Chop chop, I'll catch you. 
KARL: I dunno. I'm not great with heights. 
DOCTOR: What? 
KARL: It's my dad's company. 
(Tzim-Sha is now on his jib.) 
DOCTOR: Pop on over. 
KARL: Okay. I am special. 
DOCTOR: Yes, you are. 
KARL: I am brave, and I am gonna jump. 
DOCTOR: No time like the present. 
(But just as Karl has launched himself into the air, Tzim-Sha grabs him by the collar.) 
DOCTOR: Let him go! 
(Karl is dragged away.) 
KARL: I'm sorry! 
DOCTOR: If you want something doing... 
KARL: Please! Help! 
(The Doctor takes a run up, and just manages to grab onto Karl's crane.) 
ALL: Oh, my God. 
DOCTOR: These legs definitely used to be longer. 
(She hauls herself onto the jib.) 
DOCTOR: Oi, Tim Shaw, you stop right there. 
(Tzim-Sha takes off his faceplate.) 
KARL: Oh, he's got a face of teeth! 
DOCTOR: I know. I've got this. Let him go... or I destroy this. 
(Searches pockets.) 
DOCTOR: Really need a new coat. This. 
(A glowing red gizmo.) 
DOCTOR: The recall from the pod you travelled in. I took it out. Without this, you can't get home. Yeah, see? Now you're worried. If I fall, this falls with me. Then you're stuck.

[Building site]

(Graham and Grace unpack the cables, battery and stuff they used on the roof top against the Gathering Coil.) 
GRACE: Yeah? 
GRAHAM: Yeah. Come on.

[Crane jib]

DOCTOR: What do you do with them, your human trophies? 
TZIM-SHA: They're held in stasis in our trophy chambers, on the cusp between life and death. 
DOCTOR: Left to rot? How completely obscene. 
TZIM-SHA: They're not important. 
KARL: Hey! I'm important. 
DOCTOR: If I don't stop you, your people will keep doing this. 
TZIM-SHA: Give me the circuit or I detonate the bombs placed in your friends. 
DOCTOR: More weapons. Did your pet put one in Karl too? 
KARL: What? 
TZIM-SHA: There was no need. He was tagged. He is the trophy. 
DOCTOR: I thought as much. Right, you detonate the bombs, I'll destroy the recall. So, what are we going to do?

[Building site]

(They break into the high voltage shed.) 
GRACE: Right, you rewired the house, so you sort things out this end, I'll climb up. 
GRAHAM: I don't want you doing that. 
GRACE: Graham, Ryan's in danger. We don't have time to argue. Give me t'signal when you're ready. 
GRAHAM: Okay. 
(Grace kisses him.) 
GRACE: Is it wrong to be enjoying this? 
GRAHAM: Yes!

[Crane jib]

DOCTOR: Poor Tim Shaw. The wannabe leader who has to cheat because he knows he's unworthy. See, that's why I know you won't detonate. Although, you could prove me wrong cos we're all capable of the most incredible change. We can evolve while still staying true to who we are. We can honour who we've been and choose who we want to be next. Now's your chance. How about it? 
TZIM-SHA: Who are you? 
DOCTOR: Yes. I'm glad you asked that again. Bit of adrenaline, dash of outrage, and a hint of panic knitted my brain back together. I know exactly who I am. I'm the Doctor. Sorting out fair play throughout the universe. Now please, get off this planet while you still have a choice. 
TZIM-SHA: I choose to win. 
(Tzim-Sha presses an activation button, and a few moments later drops his faceplate and starts to scream in pain.) 
DOCTOR: Sorry. I removed those nasty little things from my friends - Swiss Army sonic, now with added Sheffield steel - And I implanted them back in your creature. Your transference wasn't just data, it was physical. You got everything transferred to you, including five tiny bombs. You had a choice. You did this to yourself. Go home. 
(The Doctor throws the recall circuit to Tzim-Sha, who has started to melt. Karl kicks at him and Tzim-Sha falls through the broken hand-rail, putting the recall circuit onto his chest and vanishing.) 
KARL: I am important! 
DOCTOR: You had no right to do that.

[Building site]

(Grace has climbed up to the Gathering Coil.) 
GRACE: Put a bomb in me, would you? Now, Graham! 
(Graham throws the master switch and electricity surges, starting to short out the Coil.) 
GRACE: It's working! 
(But when the Coil falls apart and drops, it knocks Grace down to the ground too, and it is not a short fall. Graham rushes to her.) 
GRACE: Don't be cross with me. 
GRAHAM: I'm not cross, baby. I'm not cross. 
GRACE: Promise me... you won't be scared. 
GRAHAM: What do you mean? 
GRACE: Without me. 
GRAHAM: Grace. Grace... 
(Ryan and Yasmin run over, then the Doctor.)

[YouTube channel]

RYAN: So, today I want to talk about the greatest woman I ever met. Smart, funny, caring. Proper special. My nan. Because... she died.

[Ryan's bedroom]

RYAN: First me mum six years ago, and now me nan. It's like the best people get taken first. I had a lot to learn from her and I were looking forward to that. She died like she lived, trying to help other people. I love you, Nan, and tomorrow I'm going out there for you.

[Moors]

(Amazingly, the bike is still rideable - but Ryan still keeps falling off, bless.) 
RYAN: Three, two, one... 
(The Doctor watches from a distance as Ryan keeps trying and falling and trying again.)

[Chapel]

DOCTOR: What time did your dad say he'd get here? 
RYAN: Two hours ago. 
DOCTOR: If he said he'll come... 
RYAN: He says a lot of things. He's never been the best at being reliable. I mean, how can he not be here? She's his mum. She would've wanted him here. I want him here. 
(The memorial service has started.) 
GRAHAM: Lots of you knew Grace longer than me, so I can't stand here and pretend to know everything about her. I wasn't her first husband, but she said I would do for a second attempt. I can only tell you about the Grace I met, when I thought I didn't have much time left. The... the Grace that showed me life had more to offer, and... And I know if she was here now, she'd tell us not to be so sad. You see, I can hear her saying to me, Graham, we had three glorious years, what're you complaining about? I'm complaining because I wanted more. You see, Grace was a better person than I could ever be. And I should have gone and... Grace should still be here.

[Outside Ryan's home]

DOCTOR: What did you mean in your speech, you thought you'd run out of time? 
GRAHAM: Oh, well, er, I had cancer and er... Well, strictly speaking, I'm still in remission, three years gone. And Grace was my chemo nurse. That's where we met and fell in love. So by rights, I shouldn't even be here. 
YASMIN: Have you got family? 
DOCTOR: No. Lost them a long time ago. 
RYAN: How do you cope with that? 
DOCTOR: I carry them with me. What they would've thought and said and done. I make them a part of who I am. So even though they're gone from the world, they're never gone from me. 
GRAHAM: That's the sort of thing Grace would have said. 
YASMIN: So everything we saw, everything we've lied to people about, is this normal for you? 
DOCTOR: I'm just a traveller. Sometimes I see things need fixing, I do what I can. Except right now, I'm a traveller without a ship. I've stayed too long. I should get back to finding my Tardis. 
YASMIN: Doctor. Can I just say, you really need to get out of those clothes. 
DOCTOR: Right, yeah. It's been a long time since I bought women's clothes.

[Charity shop]

(Lots of stuff being thrown out from behind the changing room curtain.) 
DOCTOR [OC]: Not that. Not that, not that. Ah, not that. Oh! Yes! Now, that's what I want. 
(She comes out wearing a really weird ensemble of a top with two horizontal stripes across her biggest part, a pair of half-mast flares held up by braces, and a pale grey long coat with hood. Still in the Doc Martens, though.) 
YASMIN: That's what you're going with? 
DOCTOR: Yep! Got any cash? Empty pockets. Also, I've been thinking about my Tardis. So you think you guys might be able to help me?

[Industrial unit]

(The Doctor is putting the final touches to a very Heath-Robinson lash-up. Graham is clutching a car battery.) 
GRAHAM: How long have we got to stand here for? I'm getting cramp. 
DOCTOR: Seriously, Graham, trying to concentrate here. 
RYAN: Do you understand what she's doing? 
DOCTOR: My ship uses a particular type of energy. I've tracked that energy trail from the moment I lost it to where it is now. Now, given this is a transport pod, I'm configuring it to send me to the planet where my ship seems to have ended up. 
YASMIN: You're going to another planet? 
DOCTOR: Well, trying to. Except Stenza technology's really annoying and super hard to decipher. 139 layers, seven of which don't make sense. Right. Graham. 
GRAHAM: Yeah? 
DOCTOR: Clamp those onto there. 
(Crocodile clips onto the battery terminals.) 
GRAHAM: All right. 
DOCTOR: Yaz, thread the cable onto the top. Ryan, you turn on the switch. Okay, you three, I'm almost gonna miss ya. 
(A microwave beeps.) 
DOCTOR: That's it. It's connected up. It should work. 
(She sets the timer on the microwave.) 
DOCTOR: Moment of truth, then. Wish me luck. And goodbye. Oh, deep breath. Not you lot. Me. 
(She inhales, holds it and activates the Sheffield Sonic. The microwave timer reaches zero, power surges through cables... and they all disappear. 
The Doctor opens her eyes to find she is floating in the vacuum of space - with her three new companions close by.)

No comments:

Post a Comment