Saturday 23 March 2024

Chakotay’s Cave






CHAKOTAY
From the look of these sensor readings, 
Seska wants us to come after her.

JANEWAY
Commander.

CHAKOTAY
I think Seska's leading us into another trap. 
She masterminded a precision raid 
that made us look like first year Academy students, 
but she left a warp trail for us to follow. 

After such a flawless performance, 
why would she suddenly made that kind of mistake?

JANEWAY
You think she wants more than the transporter. 
Are you suggesting we don't follow her?

CHAKOTAY
No, I agree with everything you said about preventing the spread of our technology. 
But conventional tactics aren't 
going to work with Seska. 
We'll need to come at her 
with a few surprises of our own.

JANEWAY
I'm open to suggestions.

TUVOK
Perhaps Commander Chakotay 
could use his intimate knowledge of Seska 
to manipulate her in much the same way 
She manipulated Us.



[Engineering]

TORRES
The module Seska stole contains 
a quantum resonance oscillator. 
So, we modify this coil scanner to detect the oscillator, 
then we get close enough to beam it back.

CHAKOTAY
I'm betting Seska's figured out a way 
to shield the module from our transporters. 
We might have to destroy it instead.

TORRES
How do we do that?

CHAKOTAY
We borrow a trick from Seska's book. 
Remember how we disabled the computer core on the Cardassian frigate orbiting Bajor?

TORRES:
Seska modified an anti-proton beam 
to penetrate its shields and hull.

CHAKOTAY
Exactly.

TORRES
But if I remember correctly, 
the beam was only effective from an extremely close range. 
How do we get near enough to the Nistrim ship?

CHAKOTAY
One thing at a time.

TORRES
You're taking this all very personally, aren't you?

CHAKOTAY
Why shouldn't I?

TORRES
You're not responsible for what happened.

CHAKOTAY
Oh no? I let her join the Maquis. 
I took her into my confidence. 
I even got intimately involved with her.

TORRES
So you have lousy taste in women. 
Look, Chakotay, she fooled us all
She was My Best Friend. 
Or at least, that's what I thought.

CHAKOTAY
Well, I for one, am through being manipulated by her.

TORRES: 
Are you sure? Because she's affecting you
That's just where she wants you. 
Don't tense up.

CHAKOTAY
So now I'm getting advice about 
controlling My Emotions from you.


[Ready room]

JANEWAY
Come in.

TORRES
Do you have a minute, Captain? 
It's about Chakotay.

JANEWAY
That's not exactly my favourite subject 
right now, Lieutenant.

TORRES
Well, I thought that maybe I could explain -

JANEWAY
Explain what? Why my First Officer 
publicly defied my authority by 
commandeering a shuttle 
without permission?

TORRES
I know it was never his intention to defy you. 
He respects Your Authority.

JANEWAY
But?

TORRES
But he's a very proud man. 
And he's been embarrassed by Seska. 

JANEWAY
What Seska did, she did to all of us. 
Frankly, I find it more than a little self-indulgent 
of Chakotay to assume this is all about him.

TORRES
He never said it to me directly but, 
I think he was in love with her. 
And then he found out that 
everything he knew about 
her was a lie. 

You said that he publicly 
defied Your Authority. 

Can you imagine what it 
must have been like for 
someone as private as Chakotay 
to be publicly humiliated 
by someone he loved

And then, as if that weren't enough, 
she came back to taunt him 
in front of the entire Bridge crew.

JANEWAY
I'm sure it was very painful for him. 
But what you're saying is, he's got 
a personal score to settle.

TORRES
That's only part of it. 
I know Chakotay. 
This is his way 
of Taking Responsibility. 

In His Mind, he's trying to protect The rest of Us 
from a dangerous situation which he created.

JANEWAY
Maybe. But that doesn't give him the privilege 
of ignoring this ship's chain of command.

TORRES
I know that. It's just that 
Chakotay would never 
tell you any of this himself.

JANEWAY
And, assuming we get him back in one piece, 
you want to make sure I take his personal feelings into account before I decide how to discipline him.

TORRES
I know that you're well within your rights 
to throw him into the brig, but, well —

JANEWAY
Chakotay is lucky to have 
such a good friend. 
I'll tell you what. 
Why don't we deal with getting him back 
in one piece first? 

We can worry about the discipline later.

TORRES
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment