Sunday 17 March 2024

Madman

The Truth About The "Madman" Theory




It isn't just what I would call 
A Madman Theory 
I think that overstates it uh --
I remember Johnson telling me in
1959 -- or 69 I should say -- uh 
that Johnson told me, when he came to 
The White House that he felt that one of his mistakes
was to give The Soviet an impression uh
that, uh we wanted peace and we would pay
almost any price to get it uh -- he said, uh --

He said one of the advantages at Ike had -- 
-- he referred, he always called him "Ike", 
never did but he said 
one of the advantages that Ike had was 
that The Russians were afraid of Ike 
afraid of him because he had been the great
commander in World War II, and because of
his military background and just because
of the kind of man he was, even though
Eisenhower was a very amiable, pleasant
grandfatherly type but they knew that
beneath that exterior was a very cold
tough fella

Do you think they were afraid of you? 


Oh yes  -- well they were afraid of me 
though not because of my appearances
and not because of my speeches but
because what I had done

There is nothing that added more to my credibility
certainly with The Russians and with
others as well, than that I took great
risks in order to bring The War in
Vietnam to a to a conclusion, to assure
the withdrawal of our forces uh --
The incursion into Cambodia uh the purpose
of that was to shorten the war to make
sure that our withdrawal program could
go forward on schedule uh -- and to save
American lives and it worked -- uh the fact
that be three weeks before the summit
meeting in Moscow which we wanted which
they wanted as well, that we bombed and
mined Hyphong uh -- after there was a great
North Vietnamese offensive supported by
Soviet tanks and guns which 
we could not tolerate --

I remember people said "Well, you can still go 
to Moscow even though Saigon is lost,
I said "No Way!" I said, "We -- I can't
be sitting across the table from Breznhev
when Soviet tanks are rumbling through
the streets of Saigon and that's why we
did what we did and despite all the
predictions by some of our Soviet experts 
to the effect that they would have no choice 
but to cancel the summit, it made them 
really I think more eager to have it and 
the other thing which I think may have had 
some impact on their thinking was that 
even after the elections of 1972 uh -- 
The December Bombing which was the
critical action was taken in order to
break the deadlock in Paris and 
have The Peace Negotiation uh --
that was a very difficult decision 
but it was necessary --

Now all of these actions you don't take them in
order to prove that You're a Madman or
that You're a tough guy or a macho
or all the rest,  it's simply you take them 
when it is in the interest 
of your foreign policy and also 
to make sure that you are 
a credible leader when you meet 
with others or when they  take actions 
that you want to oppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment