Wednesday 28 April 2021

I Will Not Stay to See Her.




DOCTOR: 
Jabel, do your people have a holy purpose? 

JABEL: 
We serve Xoanon and tend the holy places. 

We guard his tower against The Savage. 

We deny the flesh so that our minds may find communion with Xoanon.

DOCTOR: 
Ah. Well, it has a sort of logic. 

Outside the barrier, physical courage and strength, inside the barrier, paraphysical achievement and the sort of psi power you used against Leela. 

It's an experiment in eugenics. 

JABEL: 
Yes, Lord. 

DOCTOR: 
Shall we get up? The floor's very hard. 

Didn't anyone ever tell you kneeling stunts the growth? 

Jabel, do you know where Xoanon is? 

JABEL: 
Yes, Lord. 

DOCTOR: 
Where? 

JABEL: 
He is in no one place, Lord. 
He is all around us, everywhere. 

DOCTOR: 
All right, I didn't think you did. 

JABEL: 
You and he are as one. 
You will show us the way 

DOCTOR: 
Do you know what a computer is? 

JABEL: 
And in perfect communion with him, we will be free and find Paradise. 

DOCTOR: 
Do you know what a computer is? 

JABEL: 
Lord?




LEELA: 

Doctor!


K9: 

Negative! Negative! Negative. 

No entry! No entry!


LEELA: 

Look, whatever you are, I —
K9: 

I am K9 and I am warning you. 


LEELA: 

Look, I came to see the Doctor. 

I arrived with him. 


(She points her gun at K9.) 


K9: 

I, too, have offensive capability. 

You have been warned. 

Retreat. Retreat. 

Patient in total isolation. 

Contagion risk. 

Retreat. Retreat. 


(Marius enters and pushes Leela's gun down.) 


MARIUS: 

Who are you? 


LEELA: 

I am Leela. 


MARIUS: 

Ah, yes, of course. 

The Doctor's aide. 


LEELA: 

I think so. 


MARIUS: 

K9, memorise : “Friend”. 


K9: 

Memorised. Friend


LEELA: 

Is that tin thing something to do with you? 


MARIUS: 

That tin thing is My Best Friend 

and constant companion. 

He's a computer. 


You see, on Earth, 

I always used to have a dog. 

But up here, the weight penalty, 

well, it's just not possible. 


So I had K9 made up. 

He's very useful. 

He's my own personal data bank. 


He knows everything that I do, 

don't you, K9? 


K9: 

Affirmative, 

and more, Master. 


MARIUS: 

I'm afraid there's not much I can tell you 

about The Doctor, yet. 


You know, I should like to have you 

scanned and datalysed, 

just to see why you're immune. 


You see, if we can isolate that factor, 

we can inoculate against it. 

You get it? 


LEELA: 

Sorry? 


MARIUS: 

Yes, perhaps it is 

a matter of intelligence. 










[Isolation ward]


K9: 

Replicants do not maintain 

their existence for long 

because of 

possible unsolved 

psychic stress problems. 


DOCTOR: 

How long? How long? 


K9: 

Longest recorded clone life, ten mi —


MARIUS: 

Ten minutes, fifty five seconds. 


DOCTOR: 

Professor Marius, could you clone me? 


MARIUS: 

Certainly. 

The Kilbracken technique is very simple. 

But it's a circus trick. 

It's of no medical value. 


DOCTOR: 

Could you clone me now? 


MARIUS: 

Now? 


DOCTOR: 

Yes. Because if you don't clone me now 

and The Virus gets to me, 

it'll take the whole centre with it. 


(Outside, Leela throws her knife behind her. Lowe sends Cruikshank and Hedges the wrong way and she rolls head over heels into the isolation ward.


LEELA: 

Can't hold them off any more. 

Out of ammunition.

MARIUS: 

K9? 


K9: 

Master. 


MARIUS: 

Ka lay lee! 


K9: 

Affirmative. 


(K9 leaves, nozzle sticking out of his muzzle.


LEELA: 

What does that mean? 


(Sounds of gunfire outside.


MARIUS: 

He knows.






MARIUS: 

Now, you must realise, Doctor, 

this is not in any real sense a clone, 

but a short-lived carbon-based imprint. 

A sort of three dimensional photograph.

DOCTOR: 

Leela. I shall need Leela. 


MARIUS: 

Leela? Why? 

Why Leela? 


LEELA: 

What does he mean, 

he needs me? 


MARIUS: 

Ah, it must be because you are immune. 

I think he wants you cloned as well. 


LEELA: 

But what will happen to me?

The Real Me? 


MARIUS: 

Nothing. Nothing at all. 


LEELA: 

But you said it was just short-lived. 


MARIUS: 

Oh, yes. A permanent clonal copy is theoretically possible, 

but it would take years to achieve because of 

the experiential gap


Now, you see, in this way, we manage to transfer both heredity and experience

but the transfer is unstable. 


LEELA: 

What? 


MARIUS: 

Well, it means that your photocopy twin will deteriorate and expire after 

a maximum life of 

ten or eleven minutes


LEELA: 

Oh, well, in that case, 

if you do not mind, 

I will not stay to see Her.



MARIUS: 

Just as you wish. 


LEELA: 

Oh, Professor? 



MARIUS: 

Yes? Now what? 


LEELA : 

If you need me, 

I shall be with K9. 

No comments:

Post a Comment