Thursday 29 April 2021

Killing The Cow




There is a Babushka Milking A Cow — 
Soldiers come.

Tell her that she has to leave.

That it isn’t Safe.


It's time to go.

Did you hear me? 

This is an evacuation.

You understand? 

You have to come with me.


Why?


 Because they told me, 

so now I'm telling you.


Everyone in this village, 

everyone.

It's not safe here.

There's radiation in the air.

What's wrong with you? 


Do you know how old I am? 


I don't know.

Old.


I'm 82.

I've lived here my whole life.

Right here, that house, this place.

What do I care about safe? 


I have a job.

Don't cause trouble.


Trouble?

 You're not the first soldier to stand here with a gun.


When I was 12, 

The Revolution came.

Czar's men.

Then Bolsheviks.

Boys like you marching in lines.


They told us to leave.

No.


Then there was Stalin 

and his famine, the Holodomor.

My parents died.

Two of my sisters died.


They told the rest of us to leave.

No.


Then The Great War.

German boys.

Russian boys.


More soldiers,

 more famine, 

more bodies.


My brothers 

never came home.


But I stayed, 

and I'm still here.


After all that I have seen so I should leave now, because of something I cannot see at all? No.


Just one moment! 


It's time to go.

Please stand up now.

This is your last warning.



It's time to go.

Come on.





I only have Two Rules :


One.

Don't point this gun at me.

That's easy, right? 



You can point it at 

this piece of shit.

I don't give a fuck.

Never me.



Two.

If you hit an animal and it doesn't die, 

keep shooting until it does.

Don't let them suffer

or I'll kill you.



Understand? I mean it.

I've killed a lot of people.


Good.

Then we're ready.


Once we start, 

they'll run inside 

where they feel safe.


So we go door-to-door.

Okay? Good.



Hey! Do your job.



Door-to-door.



Go.

Go.

Go away.

Go! Don't let them suffer.

Sorry.

Sorry.

You're dragging that to the truck.

You gonna eat? Drink.

Again.

Look This happens to everyone their first time.

Normally when you kill a man.

But for you, a dog.

So what? There's no shame in it.

You remember your first time, Garo? My first time Afghanistan.

We were moving through a house, and suddenly a man was there and I shot him in the stomach.

Yeah, that's a real war story.

They're never any good stories like in the movies.

They're shit.

A man was there boom, stomach.

I was so scared, I didn't pull the trigger again for the rest of the day.

I thought, "Well, that's it, Bacho.

You put a bullet in someone.

You're not you anymore.

You'll never be you again." 


But then you wake up the next morning, and you're still you.


And you realize that was you all along.

You just didn't know.




The happiness of all mankind.




What? 




"Our goal is the happiness of all mankind.



Yeah.

I'm happy.

I'm happy every day.


All right.

Back to work.

Come on.






Comrade soldiers, 

The Soviet People have had enough of this accident.


They want us to clean this up, 

and we have entrusted you with this serious task.


Because of the nature of the working area, 

you will each have no more 

than 90 seconds to solve this problem.


Listen carefully 

to each of my instructions, 

and do exactly 

as you have been told.


This is for your own safety 

and the safety of your comrades.


You will enter Reactor Building Three, climb the stairs but do not immediately proceed to the roof.


When you get to the top, 

wait inside, 

behind the entrance to the roof 

and catch your breath.


You will need it 

for what comes next.


This is the working area.


We must clear the graphite.


Some of it is in blocks, 

weighing approximately 40 to 50 kilograms.


They all must be thrown over the edge, here.


Watch your comrades moving fast from this opening, 

then turning to the left, 

and entering the workspace here.


Take care not to stumble.

There's a hole in the roof.

Take care not to fall.


You will need to move quickly, 

and you will need to move carefully.


Do you understand your mission 

as I have described it? 


Yes, Comrade General.


These are the most important 90 seconds of your lives.


Commit your task to memory, 

then do your job.

It's time to go.


After 90 seconds, 

I will ring a bell.


When you hear it, return immediately, drop your shovels in the bin, and proceed down the hallway for decontamination.

Above all, while on the roof, throw your debris over the rail.

Do not look over the rail.


Is that clear? 

Very well.


On my mark.

Ready.

Go.


Whoa! Comrade soldier.

You're done.

Time to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment