Sunday 10 January 2021

The World keeps sliding towards Entropy and Degradation, and what do you do?









LINDSEY 
Oh, look. 
It's the hero of the hour.

ANGEL 
I'm not your hero. 
I'm your warden.

LINDSEY 
It's all how you look at the glass.

ANGEL 
I thought a few months of torture at the hands of the senior partners would have dug a little deeper.

LINDSEY 
Just scratched the surface. 
Turns out they can only undo you as far as you think you deserve to be undone. 
I wonder how Gunn's gonna make out.

ANGEL 
The senior partners want to know everything you know about them. 
About the apocalypse, about their plans for me.

SPIKE 
(standing, dressing) 
And for me. The guy with the pen said, "welcome to the team." Must've meant something.

LINDSEY 
You know what I know. 
Look around. 
The world's a cesspool... full of selfish and greedy beasts. 

We live, we die. 
Even you, babe.

EVE (hurt
Lindsey, don't.

LINDSEY 
You still happy to see me?

ANGEL 
Yeah, Hell's on Earth. 
Holland Manners tried to sell me that line 3 years ago.

LINDSEY 
Did you ever prove him wrong?

ANGEL 
All how you look at the glass. 
You know, Lindsey, we can philosophize all night. 
Hell... (chuckles) We could do it forever, huh? 
I don't need to eat, sleep, drink. (sits) 
How about you?

LINDSEY (grins) 
That's what I like to see... the Angel of yore. 
Takes no prisoners, suffers no fools. 

How 'bout this? It's here

It's been here all along. Underneath. 

You're just too damn stupid to see it.

ANGEL (leans forward) 
See what?

LINDSEY 
The Apocalypse, man. 
You're soaking in it.

SPIKE 
I've seen an apocalypse or two in my time. 
I'd know I one was under my nose.

LINDSEY 
Not an apocalypse. 
The Apocalypse. 

What'd you think, a gong was gonna sound? 
Time to jump on your horses and fight the big fight? 

Starting pistol went off a long time ago, boys. 
And you're playing for the bad guys. 

Every day you sit behind your desk and you learn a little more how to accept The World the way it is. 

Well, here's the rub... heroes don't do that. 

Heroes don't accept The World the way it is. 
They Fight It.

ANGEL (sits back) 
You're saying everything we do... it's a distraction... 
To keep us busy from looking under the surface.

LINDSEY 
(snaps fingers
Ding! We have a winner! 

The World keeps sliding towards Entropy and Degradation, 
and what do you do? 

You sit in your big chair, and you sign your checks, 
just like The Senior Partners planned. 

The War's here, Angel. 

And you're already 2 soldiers down.

No comments:

Post a Comment