Sunday 17 January 2021

Lack of Pressence



SAREK :
(His voice is cracking through residual contact with Kirk’s emotions and overwhelming, utterly alien human Grief.)
Forgive Me — 
It is Not Here. 



It's how they control us.
Their absence [CLEARS THROAT.]
distracts us from our lives, the things that matter.
I'm not sure what you're trying It's never their fault.
Our men.
And God forbid we should have a feeling about it.
Mmm, what choice do they have? Destiny calls.
[KETTLE WHISTLING.]
What kind of bitches would we be to stand in their way? [WHISTLING CONTINUES.]
[WHISTLING STOPS.]
Do you know what the saddest words are in the English language? "Vacant lot.
" Don't know why.
Vacant lot.
OLIVER: My Bonnie lies over the ocean My Bonnie lies over the sea My Bonnie lies over the ocean So bring back my Bonnie to me.
Well, that's most uninviting.
Get up.
Sugarplum, I-I must confess bewilderment.
- This isn't you.
- How would you know? Where'd you go this time? This quality of light.
Remember that rooftop in Bombay? It's called Mumbai now.
One of many changes since you've been gone.
Holding each other tight.
Stars above.
A whispered dream.
You left me.
I always come back to the girl I left behind.
She's gone.
She's not.
Look.
[GASPS.]
I was worried.
When you came back If you you came back.
All those years.
Did they make me unrecognizable? What are years? 
Just trips around The Sun.


[WATER BABBLING.]
[BIRD SQUAWKS.]
[SIGHS.]
FAROUK : 
We must leave soon.


And go where? 

To find The Monk.
Remember? Le moine qui garde.
Have you seen him? The Monk of the Mi-Go Order.
Is he here? At Division 3? 
He alone knows where the body's hidden.



Yes.
I remember now.
The Monk.


[SHUDDERS.]
[BEEP.]


Hmm.
You should have burned it.
How's th- how's that? 

If you had, I wouldn't have been stuck in that hard ice cube.
You see, I'm still tied to my corporeal form.
But if you just burned me —

Burned you.

Mm.
I could have danced through a cosmic field of multidimensions with no outer limits to speak of.
Would've been beautiful.


Well, what about me? Us? 

You could have tagged along, to The Beyond, where the real action happens.

“Tagged along.”

Is that the wrong word? Followed.
Yes, followed.


[SCOFFS]


There was a time when you'd follow me anywhere.


MELANIE: 
Yes.
Yes, there was.
And where did that get me? 

Things they've changed between us, haven't they? 

Yes.
They have.


[GASPS.]
[EXHALES.]
MAN [OVER P.A..] : 
New Symptom Alert : 
A growing sense of outrage.

[ANNOUNCEMENT CONTINUES INDISTINCTLY.]

Seriously, Melanie, when are you coming back to work? 



It's how they control us.
Their absence [CLEARS THROAT.]
distracts us from our lives, the things that matter.
I'm not sure what you're trying ‘Course, it's never their fault, our men.
God forbid we should have a feeling about it.
What choice do they have? Destiny calls.
What kind of bitches would we be to stand in their way? [KETTLE WHISTLING.]
- [SIGHS.]
- [WHISTLING STOPS.]
Do you know what the saddest words are in the English language? 
"Vacant lot." 
Don't know why.
Vacant lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment