Monday 21 February 2022

Trust, Alliance and Necessity





SCENE 15 
AN AQUARIUM; WASHINGTON, D.C.

(Mulder is standing at the shark tank, watching them swim. Deep Throat comes over.)

DEEP THROAT: 
Why didn’t you leave for Fort Benning?

MULDER: 
The photograph was a fake.
(No response.)
At least you’re not insulting me further 
by feigning appaled surprise.

DEEP THROAT: 
On the contrary, I think a compliment is in order. 
That photo was performed by our very best.

MULDER: 
I thought you were my ally.

DEEP THROAT: 
Oh, I am.

MULDER
Yeah, imagine if Eisenhower told the rest of the Allies 
that D-Day would take place in Belgium.

DEEP THROAT: 
(angrier) 
Mr. Mulder, I place my life in great jeopardy every time we speak.
(Mulder looks away, calmer.)
I’ve been a participant in some of the most insidious lies and witness to deeds that no crazed man could imagine. I spent years watching you from my, uh, lofty position to know that you were the one I could trust.
MULDER: 
Then why did you lie to me?

DEEP THROAT: 
I needed to divert you. 
You and Scully 
are excellent investigators 
and your motives are just. 

However, there are still 
some secrets that should remain secret – 
some truths that people are just not ready to know.

MULDER: 
Who are you to decide that for me?

DEEP THROAT: 
The World’s reaction 
to such knowledge would be 
far too dangerous.

MULDER: 
Dangerous. 
You mean in a sense of outrage 
like the reaction to the Kennedy assassinations 
or M.I.A.s or radiation experiments on terminal patients, 
Watergate, Iran-Contra, 
Roswell, the Tuskegee experiments, 
where will it end? 

Oh, I guess it won’t end as long as… men like you decide what is Truth.

 That transcript you gave me of the Iraqi pilot, that was The Truth, wasn’t it?

DEEP THROAT
Hmmmp. 
(in agreement.)

MULDER
Why’d you even bother 
to show it to me?

DEEP THROAT
Well, I knew that 
you were onto the truck 
so I knew that down the road 
I would have to steer you away
That I would have to Lie to You. 

And A Lie, Mr. Mulder, 
is most convincingly hidden 
between Two Truths.

(Mulder starts to walk away.)

Mulder.

(Mulder turns back.)

When A Shark 
stops swimmingit will die
Don’t stop swimming

I’m not responsible for 
the electronic surveillance 
but I do know They can 
still hear you.

(Deep Throat walks away. Mulder watches the sharks swim.)

No comments:

Post a Comment