Thursday 10 February 2022

Rapacious








Annie, there's nothing between Mr. Brenner and me.

Isn't there?
Well, maybe there isn't.
Maybe there's never been anything
between Mitch and any girl.

What do you mean?

I think I'll have some of that.
I was seeing a lot of him in San Francisco.
Then one weekend, he invited me up to meet Lydia.

When was this?

Oh, four years ago, shortly after his father died.
Of course, things may be different now.

Different?

With Lydia.
Did she seem a trifle distant?

A trifle.

Well, then perhaps things aren't quite so different.
You know, her attitude nearly drove me crazy.

When I got back to San Francisco, I spent days trying to figure out exactly what I'd done to displease her.

Well, what had you done?

Nothing.

I simply •existed•. So what's the answer?
A jealous woman, right?

A clinging, possessive mother?

Wrong.
With all due respect to Oedipus, I don't think that was the case.

Then what was it?

Lydia Liked Me.
That's the strange part.
Now that I'm no longer a threat,
we're very good friends.

Then why did she object to you?

Because she was afraid.

Afraid you'd take Mitch?

Afraid I'd •give• Mitch.

I don't understand.

Afraid of any woman who would give Mitch the one thing Lydia can give him, Love.

That adds up to a jealous, possessive woman.

No, I don't think so.
You see, she's not afraid of losing Mitch — 
She's only afraid of being abandoned.

Someone ought to tell her she'd be gaining a daughter.

(CHUCKLES)

No. She already has a daughter.

Well, what about Mitch? Didn't he have anything to say about this?

Well, I can understand his position.
He'd just been through a lot with Lydia after his father died.
He didn't want to risk going through it all again.

Oh, I see.

So it ended. Not right then, of course.
We went back to San Francisco,
saw each other now and then, but we both knew it was over.

Then what are you doing
here in Bodega Bay?

I wanted to be near Mitch.
Oh, it was over and done with,
and I knew it, but...
I still wanted to be near him.
You see, I still like him a hell of a lot,
and I don't want to lose that friendship, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment