Friday 18 February 2022

Eclipso












Whether Mother comes here
or the boys go and stay with her.


You wanna get the children out of the house
because you think I'm crazy, don't you?

Don't you?

Well, you're not so perfect either.
How do I know you're not crazy?

You don't tell me 
everything you do.

How do I know 
you're not guilty?
You could be.
You could be.

Rose. Rose.

You went to the loan company
to borrow money for a vacation.
You did that when we couldn't afford it.
You always wanted to buy things on time.
I told you not to.
I told you they'd pile up and pile up until we couldn't meet it all.
And it did pile up.

And then They reached in
from the outside
and They put this on us.
And it'll beat us.

And you can't win.
They spoiled your alibi.
They'll fix it so that They can smash us...
...and They will

They'll smash us down.

It's True, Manny.
There is something wrong with me.
You'll have to let them put me somewhere.

*****

What makes you think so?

People had faith in me and...
...I let them down.

But it wasn't always that way, was it?

No, I guess not.

When did you first feel this way?

When my husband was arrested.
That's when I knew I'd let him down.

Well, how did you know it then?

I could tell.
They wanted to show me up.

Were They thinking about Manny
or about you?

No, They wanted to punish me...
...because I'd failed him
and then let him down.

I did everything all wrong.

Well, didn't they arrest him,
because they thought he was guilty?
Oh, no. No, they knew he wasn't guilty.

I was guilty. They were after me.
They were after me, 
and They'll get me.

It's no good trying.
It's useless.

What is it that's useless, Mrs. Balestrero?

Well, everything.
They come at me from all sides.

And it's no good.
They know I'm guilty.

******

What's wrong with Rose, doctor?
Is it her mind?


Yes, it is, Mr. Balestrero.


How serious is it?

Well, at the moment, her mind 
is in an eclipse.
She doesn't see anything as it is...
...and she blames herself for what happened to you.

But she wasn't to blame for any of it.


Of course not, 
but she thinks she was.
And she believes this so strongly
that it darkens the whole world for her.

She sees great, lurking dangers everywhere and she thinks she's brought them on you.

Now, there's a well-known patternto what she's going through.

She's buried under
some kind of landslide
of Fear and Guilt.

What can we do, then?
The best thing is to place her
in a controlled environment
where she can receive medical care.

You mean An Institution?

It must be chosen carefully
and must give her a tranquil surrounding.





And the kind of assistance she needs to find her way out
of this maze of terror she's in.


She couldn't be at home with us?

Not if you think of her...
...and of giving her a chance to get well.

I just can't believe that Rose...
I can't let her go.

She's living in another world from ours.
A frightening landscape that could be
on the dark side of the moon.

And I'm not there?

You're there, and the children are there
but not the way you are.

Monstrous shadows 
that say hateful things.

Now, she knows 
she's in a nightmare
but it doesn't 
help her to know.
She can't get out.

Is it incurable?

No case is incurable.
I want her to have the best there is.
The best for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment