Tuesday 30 March 2021

Why Does He Talk in Such an Extraordinary Way?





DOCTOR :
Are you absolutely positive? 

GULLIVER: 
I would not impose any falsities upon you. 
I adhere strictly to truth. 

DOCTOR: 
Of course. 
This, er, this person who controls this place, The Master? 

GULLIVER: 
The Master, yes. 

DOCTOR: 
Have you seen him? 

GULLIVER: 
Upon occasion he has been pleased to grant me an audience. 

DOCTOR: 
Where might I find him? 

GULLIVER: 
The Master's palace is no ordinary edifice, but a citadel, 
a walled town at the top of a hill or cliff, which is reckoned the highest in the kingdom. 

DOCTOR: 
Yes, now I think I understand. 
May I ask, sir, where you come from? 
Would it not be Nottingham? 


GULLIVER: 
[Smiling]
My father had a small estate in Nottingham, sir. 
I was the third of five sons. 
He sent me to Emmanuel College in Cambridge at fourteen years old, where I applied myself close to my studies, learning navigation and other parts of the mathematics 

DOCTOR: 
Useful for those who intend to travel 

DOCTOR + GULLIVER: 
As I always believed it would someday or other, my fortune to do,

DOCTOR: 
Now I know who you are, sir. 
Your name is Lemuel Gulliver. 

GULLIVER: 
Your servant. 

ZOE: 
Gulliver? 

DOCTOR: 
Yes, yes. 
Oh, I'm looking forward to a long talk with you one of these days.

GULLIVER: 
I should like that above all things, but it would not be proper at this juncture to trouble you with the particulars of my adventures. 

DOCTOR: 
Oh, I wouldn't dream of detaining you. 

GULLIVER: 
Having been condemned by nature and fortune to a restless and active life, I must take my leave of you. Farewell. 

DOCTOR: 
Farewell. 

(Gulliver leaves.) 

ZOE: 
Why does he talk in such an extraordinary way? 

DOCTOR: 
Well, he can only speak the words that Dean Swift 
gave him to say

ZOE: 
But that's ridiculous. 
I mean, there never was such a person as Gulliver. 
He's a fictional character. 

DOCTOR: 
Of course he is. Don't you understand? 
This World that we've tumbled into is a World of Fiction. 
Unicorns, minotaur, Gulliver's Travels, they're all alive here. 

ZOE: 
Then what are we doing here? 
What do they want with us

No comments:

Post a Comment