Monday 21 October 2024

The Duke of Earl

 



As they enter The Centre of The Maze
Oxford turns to His Servant.

 OXFORD (nods)
 Francesco.

 Francesco steps forward and hands 
Jonson a leather bound manuscript
Jonson looks at it confused and opens it.

 JONSON
 A Play, My Lord?

 OXFORD
 One you shall 
stage Bankside.

 JONSON
 Stage?

 OXFORD
 Under your name.

 JONSON
 My Name, My Lord?

 OXFORD
 I can't very well use 
my name, can I?

 I'm The Seventeenth Earl of Oxford.
 The Lord Great Chamberlain of England,
 Viscount Bolebec, Lord Escales,
 Sandford and Badlesmere, etc, etc.

 No. I have a... reputation to protect. 
In my world, one does not
 write plays, Jonson. 
People like you do.

Jonson tries not to be offended.

 JONSON
 Yes. My Lord. You wrote 
an entire play, My Lord. 
I know how difficult --

 OXFORD
 Not a play, Jonson, 
I've written many.
 No doubt, many more 
than you yourself.
 
A good number performed 
at Court years ago, others 
never seen by 
a living soul.

 JONSON
 And you want... me to apply 
my name to this play?

 OXFORD
 No. I mean you to put 
your name to all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment