Tuesday 27 September 2022

Adopt, Adapt and Improve

 





Orchid hunting is a mortal occupation. 

Victorian-era orchid hunter William Arnold drowned on a collecting expedition. 

Osmers vanished without a trace in Asia. 

Augustus Margary survived toothache, rheumatism, pleurisy and dysentery
only to be murdered when he completed his mission and traveled beyond Bhamo. 

Laroche loved orchids, but I... 
I came to believe he loved the difficulty and fatality of getting them almost as much as he loved the orchids themselves. 

John Laoche, Orchid Hunter :
I've been a professional horticulturist for like 12 years. 
Uh, I owned my own plant nursery
which was destroyed by the hurricane. 
I'm a professional plant lecturer
I've given over, like, 60 lectures 
on the cultivation of plants. 
I'm a published author
both in magazine 
and book form. 
And I have extensive experience with orchids 
and the asexual micropropagation of orchids 
under aseptic cultures. 

That's laboratory work. 
It's not at all like your 
nursery work. 
Um... 
I'm probably the smartest person I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment