Monday 22 August 2022

HH







TURING & ALEXANDER (quietly)
"Heil Hitler."

Turns out that's the only German 
you need to know to, uh 
-- Break Enigma.




Alan Turing :
What... What if... 
What if Christopher doesn't have to search 
through ALL of the settings?
 
What if he only has to search through ones 
that produce words we already KNOW 
will be in The Message? 

JOAN
Repeated Words; 
PREDICTABLE Words. 

Alan Turing :
Exactly. 

JOAN
Look, look, like this one :
"0600 hours. 
Weather Today is clear. 
Rain in The Evening. 
Heil Hitler." 

Well, that's it. 
Exactly. 

They send a weather report every day at 6:00 a.m. 

So that's - 

That's Three Words we KNOW 
will be in EVERY 6:00 a.m. message -- 
"Weather," obviously, a-and... 

"Heil" bloody "Hitler". 
Heil bloody Hitler. (laughs) 

(pants) 
Here's the 6:00 message from this morning. 

TURING: 
Hugh, the, uh, the right-hand letter wheel, set them to... 
I know, I know. "Weather" and "Hitler." 
Peter, John, run voltages through those letters, 
through the back scramblers.

PETER
So we'll use the loops? 

TURING
Yes. Joan, what was the last 6:00 a.m. message? 
L... 
L... 
H... 


TURING: 
H... 
W... 

TURING: 
W... 

JOAN: 
A... -A... 
-Q. -Q. 
Done. 
Come on. Come on, Christopher. 
Oh, my God. 
Wh-What happened? 
-Did it work? -Alan? 
ALEXANDER: Alan! Alan! 
I need a new message. 
The latest intercept. 
(softly): Thank You. 
O... T... 
-JOAN: Ready? -Yes. 
-M... -M... 
-Y... -Y... 
-M... S... -M... S... 
-A... I... -A... I... 
-C... -C... 
-T... -T... 
-R... -R... 
-I... -I... 
-S... O... -S... O... 
-A... -A... 
-Y... R... I... -Y... R... 
-TURING: I. -(Joan panting) 
"KMS Jaguar is auf punkt... 
"is directed to 53 degrees 24 minutes north 
and auf punkt one... degree west." 


TURING & ALEXANDER (quietly): 
"Heil Hitler."
Turns out that's the only German 
you need to know to, uh -- Break Enigma. 

Yes! 
Oh! 
-JOAN: M... -TURING: M... 
-A... -A... 
-Y... -Y... 
-I... -I... 
-T... -T... 
-R... -R... 
-O... -O... T... 
-T... A... -A... 
-H... -H... 
-Q... -Q... 

TURING: 
U... -U... 
-R. -R. 

HUGH ALEXANDER
My God, You Did It. 
You just Defeated Nazism 
with a crossword puzzle. 

Cairncross, The Soviet Spy :
There are FIVE People in The WORLD 
who know The Position 
of EVERY Ship in The Atlantic. 

They're ALL in This Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment