Saturday 6 August 2022

Fail-Safe





fail-safe (adj.)
also failsafe, fail safe "safe against failure," 1945, originally in reference to aircraft construction, from fail (v.) + safe (adj.). The novel about a nuclear attack caused by mechanical error is from 1962.



KIRK
Why would a Starfleet Admiral 
ask a 300 year old frozen man for help?

KHAN
Because I am better.

KIRK
At what?

KHAN
Everything



Alexander Marcus needed to respond 
to an uncivilised threat in a civilised time, 
and for that he needed a warrior's mind, 
my mind, to design weapons and warships.

SPOCK: 
You are suggesting the Admiral violated 
every regulation he vowed to uphold 
simply because he wanted to exploit 
your intellect.

KHAN: 
He wanted to exploit my savagery

Intellect alone is useless in a fight, Mister Spock. 
You, you can't even break a rule. 
How would you be expected to break bone

Marcus used me to design weapons, 
to help him realise his vision of a militarised Starfleet. 

He sent you to use those weapons. 
To fire my torpedoes on an unsuspecting planet. 

And then he purposely 
crippled your ship in enemy space, 
leading to one inevitable outcome. 

The Klingons would come searching 
for whomever was responsible, 
and you would have 
no chance of escape. 

Marcus would finally have 
the war he talked about. 
The war he always wanted.

KIRK: 
No. No. I watched you open fire 
in a room full of 
unarmed Starfleet officers. 

You killed them in cold blood!

KHAN: 
Marcus took my crew from me.

KIRK: 
You are a murderer!

KHAN: 
He used my friends to control me. 
I tried to smuggle them to safety by concealing them in the very weapons I had designed, but I was discovered. 

I had no choice but to escape alone. 

And when I did, I had every reason to suspect that Marcus had killed every single one 
of the people I hold most dear. 

So I responded in kind. 

My crew is my family, Kirk. 
Is there anything you would 
not do for your family?





Prof. Groeteschele: 
Excuse me. Every minute we wait works against us. 
Now, Mr. Secretary, now is when 
we must send in a first strike.

Gen. Stark: 
We don't go in for sneak attacks. 
We had that done to us at Pearl Harbor.

Prof. Groeteschele
And the Japanese were right to do it. 
From their point of view, we were their mortal enemy. As long as we 
existed, we were a deadly threat to them. 
Their only mistake was that they 
failed to finish us at the start, 
and they paid for that mistake 
at Hiroshima.

Gen. Stark: 
You're talking about a different kind of war.

Prof. Groeteschele: 
Exactly. This time, we can finish what we start. And if we act now, right now, our casualties will be minimal.

Brigadier General Warren A. Black: You know what you're saying?

Prof. Groeteschele: 
Do you believe that Communism 
is not our mortal enemy?

Brigadier General Warren A. Black: You're justifying murder.

Prof. Groeteschele: 
Yes, to keep from being murdered.

Brigadier General Warren A. Black
In the name of what
To preserve what

Even if we do survive, 
what are we
Better than what we say they are? 

What gives us the right to live, then? What makes us worth surviving, Groeteschele? 
That we are ruthless enough 
to strike first?

Prof. Groeteschele
Yes! Those who can survive are 
the only ones worth surviving.

Brigadier General Warren A. Black
Fighting for your life isn't 
the same as murder.

Prof. Groeteschele
Where do you draw the line 
once you know What The Enemy is

How long would the Nazis 
have kept it up, General, 
if every Jew they came after 
had met them with 
a gun in his hand? 

But I learned from them, 
General Black. Oh, I learned.

Brigadier General Warren A. Black
You learned too well, Professor. 
You learned so well that now 
there's no difference between 
you and what you want to kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment